Session 13

Kiergath: Good day, I say to ye!
Kiergath: Also, I’d like to direct you all to the wiki, where the last two sessions have finally been posted.
Kiergath: …I realize I have told some or most of you that already.
Alex (Hoxton): Checking on it now
Kiergath: you mean you haven’t yet? I’ve only been pestering you with it all afternoon and evening.
Kiergath: gawd, alex, what do you DO at work???
Raegar: I READ EVERYTHING
Kiergath: you’re supposed to read my silly crap…
Alex (Hoxton): I do most of the time
Kiergath: :P
Alex (Hoxton): Boss from Belfast was in today
Kiergath: shoot him, he’s probably a protestant
Raegar: I was especially entertained with the time Hoxton rode a hippopotamus through the capital city.
Raegar: Oh what a nice day that was
Alex (Hoxton): Also, I recall that I am drinking Raegar’s blood when we return to Ashby.
Kiergath: I was wondering what all is entailed in this whole sunblood stuff.
Raegar: so am i
Kiergath: “Tune in next week, when we find out the Horus cult is actually made up of VAMPIRES!”
Alex (Hoxton): Oh, just wait until you see some of the things Hoxton must do for Horus-Re.
Raegar: oh
Raegar: do you really want to make me a vampire again?
Nick (Shae Vanderin): save that for a wod campaign.
Campaign saved.
Kiergath: sure – this time as soon as the sun comes out you’re toast
Kiergath: no plot armor for you, boyo!
Raegar: dang
Raegar: Did you finish the last last session?
Kiergath: Huh?
Raegar: It wasnt finished yet when I was reading
Kiergath: err….
Kiergath: session 12 is up
Kiergath: its the really short one
Shae Vanderin: Is there a southern human language?
Shae Vanderin: where immigrants came to carthon? Thinking about taking it as a 2nd lang.
GM: uhm… how do I whisper
GM: HALP
→ Shae Vanderin: um.. ping?
GM: there we go
→ Shae Vanderin: no there is not; humans, being the mongrels they are, speak common.
Ilphvrae: Session 12 is up fully from my recolection
Campaign saved.
→ Shae Vanderin: also, in the name of nit picking, human immigrants to carthon would come from west or southwest – emphasis on the west.
GM: yes, it is
GM: its a very very short session
Shae Vanderin: fair enough.
GM: sorry if I’m a little slow here, the DM is re-reading the session log too :P
Shae Vanderin: figured thats where the Vanderins came from as well. Berovia.
Raegar: “Well, seems to me, if we aren’t waiting for more people from the outer camps. We should start moving.”
Indeed, the last peoples have trickled in as you waited.
Kiergath: now if only I could find my notes…
Campaign saved.
Righto, yes, the last couple groups of stragglers have returned.
Shae Vanderin: “I suggest a 2 × 2 line at least until we get out of the forrest. Raegar can lead since he is most adept with paths and the rest of us will be staggered throughout the line to provide protection and insurance against any who might get lost or fall behind.”
Doug (Ilphvrae): See I have told you to send me all your notes so I can keep them safe for you…
Kiergath: sod that
Raegar: “Whyshould I lead?”
Raegar: “Let one of the locals guide us.”
Doug (Ilphvrae): :D
Shae Vanderin: “Whatever you wish.”
. . . the DM holds his head in his hands and weeps!
You pick a stout young peasant to lead the caravan.
Raegar: stout young peasent
Raegar: Why not send up bill.
Because Bill would prefer to bring up the rear and make sure all of his people make it.
Campaign saved.
Alex (Hoxton): Bill prefers the rear. Fewer accidents that way.
Raegar counts off how many we have left to guide out.
There are about fifty men in the column, not counting the party.
Shae Vanderin: Approx count of how many total including women and children?
Raegar: they lready left
Shae Vanderin: ah right.
Raegar: We were waiting for the outrunners and such
Raegar: “Right, lets move out.”
Shae Vanderin: Im going to start taking a census to get a list of each of their information including name, former employment, place of origin, and if they are wanted.
Shae Vanderin: As we walk ^
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: Well… wanted for anything besides this situation of banditry.
Raegar: are we all here?
Nick (Shae Vanderin): think so.
Apologies, no, I stepped out for food.
the DM gets grumpy when he’s under-fed.. and since everyone else is / has eaten…
Shae – does this mean you’re walking along with a roll of parchment and interrogating everyone?
Doug (Ilphvrae): <—- />
Shae Vanderin: “Yes.”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: Yes.
Kiergath: Then my second bowl will be in your honor.
Shae – its rather amazing. All of these men are blacksmiths and concerned citizens.
Shae Vanderin: Got it :)
Doug (Ilphvrae): Shae is the new Tomas de Torquemada
Doug (Ilphvrae): for those that don’t know that was the inquisitor-general for most of Spain…
Kiergath: <pat>
Raegar moves to find bill.
You find Bill!
Raegar: “So, what are your plans when we reach Ashby?”
Bill: “I suppose I don’t have plans, really… although I’m still responsible for all these people, so I suppose if they settle down, so do I.”
Raegar: “Right.”
Raegar: “Well, I’m looking for a certain William Tavish…”
Raegar: “I got this list here..”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “From what the military governor tells me.. It could be any one of these men..”
Raegar: “Anyone you know?”
He takes the list if you let him and reads over it.
Bill: “Aye, this name here. I’d be willing to swear on it before the governor herself.”
He points at one of the names and hands the list back.
Raegar looks at the name.
Raegar: “Shae.”
Raegar heads off to find Shae.
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “Yes Raegar?”
Shae – in addition to the lack of cooperation on occupations and reasons for being wanted, you’re clearly not getting real names, either.
Raegar: “I think this is what you are looking for.”
Shae Vanderin: “What is it?”
Raegar: “The real name of so called William Tavish.”
Raegar: “I got these names from the governor herself.”
Raegar: “They had a bit of a theory on who exactly he was.”
Raegar: “We are looking for a William Moresby.”
Shae Vanderin perks up, “Does this mean we are going to turn him in? For justice and for the reward money?”
Raegar: “Who? What?”
Raegar: “…We’d have to find him first.”
Raegar: “…Im confused.”
Shae Vanderin checks her list for a William Moresby.
Raegar: "Do I really have to note the futility of asking a band of woodland “bandits” for their real name and the reason they are out here?“
”color:#000054;">Shae Vanderin: “Sorry I got caught up in the moment here.”
Raegar: “Im betting that name isnt on your list.”
Raegar: “Bill? Anyone idea where we can find Moresby?”
Raegar: Any*
Raegar: brain fart
Campaign saved.
Bill: “I’m sorry, no. You might try the governor, the military probably has records of where people live, might find something that way.”
→ Ilphvrae: Hanging about on the wings as you are, you notice that Shae’s activities – and her last outburst about “Does this mean we are going to turn him in?” is causing some muttering among the peasants.
Shae Vanderin: “That is a great idea. We will check in with the governor as soon as we get back.”
The march continues…
Hoxton glares are Shae and Raegar, conducting this business so close to the peasantry. He wanders throughout the line, murmuring soothing words before launching into a loud and boistrous marching song.
Campaign saved.
The peasantry takes up the song with gusto, if not harmony!
The rest of the day’s march passes!
Camp is established!
Shae Vanderin: Are we out of the forest yet?
After a day? Nay, good Shae!
I.. don’t actually remember how far in you are, but I think its two days.
So.. one more.
Raegar: 2
Raegar: “Shae, a word?”
Shae Vanderin: Pull the party aside..“Let us take the precaution of a watch while we rest. And of course Raegar.”
Shae Vanderin: Standard watch rotation DM unless anyone disagrees.
Ryasi inserts herself on 4th watch with Ilphvrae.
Leaving…
Hoxton and Brother Hansen on first watch..
Shae on second watch…
Campaign saved.
Raegar and Selene on third..
Ilphvrae and Ryasi on fourth.
Shae Vanderin: nod
Normally Lasariel is on 2nd, but I don’t think she came?
Raegar: “Did you happen to notice how the men were looking at you when you started compiling your list..?”
Raegar: She didnt
That said, you’re still not the only one up – the peasants are keeping watch as well.
Shae Vanderin: “No I didnt.”
Raegar: “You should mind your surroundings.”
Raegar: “What you did was dangerous in the extreme..”
Shae Vanderin: “Because they think we might be tricking them into abandoning their home?”
Raegar: “I dont think they thought that until you starting making a list and checking it twice..
”color:#000054;“>Raegar: BOOM seasonal.
”color:#000054;“>Shae Vanderin: groan :)
”color:#000054;“>Raegar loses 10 XP!
”color:#000054;“>Raegar: crepes
”color:#000054;“>I kid.
”color:#000054;">Shae Vanderin: “Look Raegar. We… may disagree on the fruitfulness of this risk. But I am only trying to minimize it by getting at least some basic information from these peasants and brigands.”
Raegar: “They just might think following us out of a nice safe forest isnt the greatest of ideas unless they are convinved we have their situation at heart.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “If that really is your intention, you are going at it entirely the wrong way.”
Shae Vanderin: “Fair enough. I find your open heart to those in need very charming and endearing. I tend to be more cynical and instead see these men as a possible security threat to plundering Ashby once we get back.”
Shae Vanderin: “But, I admit that this is your mission. If you find me doing something you see as dangerous, let me know and I will cease.”
Raegar: “We know the basic background of these people.. They are the poor classes pushed out of the cities and towns to scrounge a living they couldn’t afford without taking back what is theirs from the nobles.. If you want to know more about a particular person in their lot, or the whole group, you should sit down.”
Raegar: “And hunt something to eat for them, share your food. Something.”
Raegar: “Going up to them and demanding information wont get you anything but a knife in the back.”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “Compassion for a brigand is not in my blood Raegar. But I will consider your words.”
Raegar: “Even if it isnt.”
Raegar: “The kind of information that would, in theory, be of use to you. Will only come out of trust. Or leverage. Far be it of me to deny someone a good row of blackmail.”
Shae Vanderin: “Threat of force is often a solid motivator.”
Raegar: “Not when there are 50 of them and 4 of us.”
Raegar sighs.
Six.
Raegar: i meant six
Raegar: words are hard
Raegar: =P
Raegar: (I didnt!)
Raegar: (I estimated! Forgot the priest and .. not sure who else.“
”color:#000054;“>Sel.
”color:#000054;">Shae Vanderin: “It would show their true colors if they stood unified in a mob mentality of banditry at the mere asking of questions by me. I just feel like if you are afraid to the point that they may rebel over such a simple action, how can they be trusted to be your subjects in Ashby?”
Raegar: “Well, in any case… Be careful.”
Raegar: “I am exausted.”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin nods.
Raegar hops off to find a nice tall tree to climb.“
”color:#000054;“>Very well.
”color:#000054;“>You stand to your watches…
”color:#000054;“>And it may come as a surprise, but the night passes uneventfully.
”color:#000054;“>Shae Vanderin: Pack up and head out same way.
”color:#000054;“>It comes as no surprise, I hope, that nothing seems inclined to attack 50+ armed men and women.
”color:#000054;“>A question for the party! Where exactly are you going?
”color:#000054;“>Following the road (which takes you into Garmol before Ashby)
”color:#005500;“>Doug (Ilphvrae): Good no hungrey dragons or demons skulking around…
”color:#000054;“>Or cross-country?
”color:#000054;“>And just as importantly.. are you skirting Garmol by a large distance, or short?
”color:#000054;“>Raegar: hmmm
”color:#000054;“>Raegar: good questions
”color:#660066;“>Campaign saved.
”color:#000054;“>Raegar: Suppose that itll be critical today yea?
”color:#000054;“>Raegar: gather bill and such
”color:#000054;“>Yep?
”color:#000054;“>Raegar: and the party
”color:#000054;">Raegar: “How are we headed to Ashby?”
Bill: “I… assumed you had a plan?”
Raegar: “Travelling circus?”
Raegar: “That plan is horrible, let us never speak of it again.”
Shae Vanderin: Is there a way around Garmol that is relatively easy to travel bypassing roads?
Raegar: “Well, we shouldnt head to Garmol, thats for sure.”
Shae Vanderin: Skill [Knowledge (Geography)]
[1d20+3 = 4]
Raegar: “We could travel cross country.”
Shae Vanderin: yay :P
Shae, you think Garmol is surrounded by a bottomless chasm.
Raegar: “I could certainly lead us past the dangerous parts.”
Shae Vanderin: “From what I know there is no safe way around Garmol.”
Hoxton: “And I can keep the lot motivated, at least until they stop to bed their women for the night.”
Giant, man-eating chasm spiders lurk among the rocks on the edges.
They come out at night, preying upon the farmers.
Sometimes they even sneak into town and carry off orphans.
Raegar: Skill [Knowledge (Geography)]
[1d20+1 = 2]
Raegar: “BIG SCARY CHASMS.”
Raegar, you too have heard these stories.
Raegar: “I hear clowns appear out of nowhere and eat orphans.”
Raegar: “these are the tales of my people.”
Shae Vanderin: “Face it theres no getting around it, its too dangerous with the spider infestations.”
Bill:
[1d20 = 8]
Shae Vanderin: “Well have to go directly thru Garmol.”
Raegar: I cant believe we rolled two 1s
Raegar: When have we EVER rolled two 20s?
Nick (Shae Vanderin): its awesome.
Raegar: I suppose it is
Bill: “I don’t know of any chasms, but the spiders are true I’ve heard. In the old days, the undead kept them in check.”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “Which route did the women and children take? Surely they went straight into Garmol.”
Hoxton: Skill [Knowledge (Religion)]
[1d20+3 = 5]
I’d say thats about par for the course with Hoxton and religion.
Hoxton: “I have spent the night communing with Horus-Re, and he has promised to guide us to the promised land without incident.”
Ilphvrae looks around for tracks that the women and children would have left
So far they seem to have come down the road like you did.
Doug (Ilphvrae): Did they head to the town or by pass it?
Bill: “I imagine they skirted Garmol and went through the old farm fields… the other column, I mean.”
Uh.. without continuing on and finding whether they split off from the road, its hard to tell.
Raegar: “guards wont trouble women and children.”
Raegar: “They might ask more questions about our band.”
Bill: “No.. but many of our fighters went with them as well.”
Shae Vanderin: “its your call Raegar. On this its anyone’s guess.”
Selene: “Unless this chasm is a very recent development.. why don’t we just go over the old farmland?”
Raegar: “I agree with Selene.”
Shae Vanderin: “Onward then!”
Campaign saved.
YOU PROCEED
because I hate boring route marches, you exit tree cover with Garmol in the distance, and you veer off into the farmlands.
There is no sign of a terrible, gaping chasm!
Ilph! Spot!?
Ilphvrae: Skill [Spot]
[1d20+9 = 27]
Hmm…
Campaign saved.
Ilph, you see a strange, dessicated husk upon the ground!
It may have been a cow.
Ilphvrae points at the husk. “Hey Raegar, there is something over there. Looks wierd.”
Raegar: GO FORTH
Raegar: AND HAVE A LOOK-SEE
Verily, it looks to have one been a bovine!
Now however, it is a leathery husk with two holes in its flank
Raegar: “Hmm..”
Raegar: “Lets go check it out.”
Ilphvrae: “Something was thirsty…”
I thought you already did…
Raegar, you find strange tracks in the ground.
Raegar: Chupacabra?
No.
Raegar: “Oh shit.”
Raegar: “OH SHIT.”
Raegar: “Dont.. make.. a single… move…”
It doesn’t appear to be a particularly fresh kill.
The tracks head south, towards the trees.
Shae Vanderin: “What is it?”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “Dont move the dirt…”
Raegar: “Those things are spider tracks.”
Raegar: “This cow was eaten by a spider.”
Raegar: “A very huge and mean spider.”
GM:
[10d20 = 121]
Ilphvrae: “Ewwww!”
Raegar: Whats south of us?
The forest.
You’ve been heading north-west to go around garmol.
Raegar: hmm
Raegar: so.. I wonder if the spider has to be our problem then..
Raegar examins the tracks closely.
Selene: “If there’re spiders that size in the forest.. we got lucky.”
Hoxton: “You have a strange definition of luck. It is as Horus told unto me.”
It is now going on noon, you left the forest a few hours ago.
(We skipped a day’s march through the forest)
Shae Vanderin: “Be it luck, fate, or divine intervention, we got thru, lets keep moving.”
GM:
[6d10 = 34]
You keep on?
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: I think so unless anyone has any reason to stop.
Ilphvrae keeps an eye out for any movement to the flanks and behind
Raegar: keeep on
At about 2 in the afternoon, you spot two mounted figures approaching from the direction of Garmol.
Raegar: ride towards ‘em
Shae Vanderin: Halt the column.
Hoxton: “Ah, heralds of good tidings! Horus sends his blessing to us all, does he not, Brother?” Hoxton strides forwards to meet the mounted figures.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): how many of us have horses? I forget.
Two men, cleanshaven and wearing black mail over similarly drab tunics. Swords hang from their belts, both carry lances, and bows and shields are slung from their horses.
All of you have horses except Hoxton.
Who cannot ride, even if they had a horse large enough for him not pulling a plow.
Campaign saved.
Ilphvrae hangs back a bit but within range of her bow
They come to a halt a few yards from Raegar and Hoxton.
Raegar: “Hello.”
“Good day! What brings an armed column so near to Garmol?”
Raegar: "I’d like to start by saying we have no intentions against Garmol, only moving on to Ashby.“
”color:#000054;">Raegar: “There are gigantic spiders in the woods..”
Hoxton: “We are but humble servants of Horus, sent to reunite these peoples with their families in Ashby at last.”
“Ashby? That’d make you Raegar, then?”
Raegar: “Indeed, pleasure to make your acquaintance.”
Campaign saved.
“Good, good – there’ve been patrols this way regularly for the last few days to keep an eye out for you. Another party came through a day or two back, much larger. Said they were headed to Ashby?”
“I believe they were escorted through, didn’t mention any trouble.”
Raegar: “Indeed, those are mine as well.”
Raegar: “Glad to hear of it.”
“Thanks for the heads up about those spiders, though.. not that we need more problems, but better to know.”
Raegar: “Ahhh more than a heads up I’m afraid.”
Raegar: “Relay a message to the governor… Tell her they must be at least the size of a cart.”
Raegar: “At least…”
Raegar: “There is a dried out cow corpse further down there. If they can eat a cow… Well..”
Campaign saved.
“Wonderful, we’ll pass it on – hopefully the dwarves will smoke them out, though.”
“We’re to let you know that the governor wants to speak to your party when you’ve got things settled at Ashby, as well. Probably to make sure things are resolved.”
Raegar: “Very well.”
Raegar: How far are we from Ashby?
Probably be there by nightfall.
Travel times are flexible in these parts…
Raegar: “I shall be along in the morning.”
especially when the DM doesn’t want to bother getting his map.
They nod and let you continue on.
They head back up the way you came, towards the aforementioned dead cow.
Shae Vanderin: Resume the column.
Shae Vanderin: afk 5 min
INDEED, AS THE EVENING COMES, YOU ARRIVE AT RAEGARTON-ASHBY
The once cozy little hamlet of a dozen cottages has become a tent city, seemingly overnight.
Campaign saved.
The overseer, Hermann Schultz, and Georg Prut – your head carpenter – are out laying down stakes and planning expansion of the town.
Raegar: head over and see them
Hermann: “Raegar! Welcome back! You’ve been busy.. very busy.. so have we, although a little less dramatically.”
Raegar: “Glad to hear it.”
Hermann: “Homes to build.. storage.. infrastructure… so much to do, so little time. I’ve been talking to some of the men you sent us, and we’ve been discussing sending parties to the forest to gather lumber, now that we have the men. Not to mention guards.”
Raegar: “More homes will be needed..”
Raegar: “Yes… I agree.”
Raegar: Closest forest is south of Garmol?
Aye.
Hermann: “Oh, you’ll be pleased to know that a rider came from Garmol a few days ago bearing a writ authorizing us to maintain a militia.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “Keep it in a safe place.”
Raegar: “In the meantime.”
Raegar: give him 200g
Raegar: “You will need to go into town and procure food-stuffs. Get cows and chickens.”
Raegar: “Goats.. Sheep… Livestock.”
Raegar: “Things we can reer on the grass and eat.”
Raegar: “A few guard dogs might be a grand thing as well.”
Hermann: “Certainly, I’ll send a party in to town as soon at first light.”
…as soon as*
Raegar: “As for the wood, I will want to supervise the operations.”
Raegar: “Im afraid the southern woods may be … occupied.”
Raegar: “In any case, dont send anyone until the dwarves have gone through the area.”
Shae Vanderin: “And I could certainly use an ale after that march.”
Shae Vanderin heads off to rest for the night.
Indeed, it is quite late.
Raegar: ssss
Campaign saved.
Raegar calls Bill over.
Bill: “Yes?”
Raegar: “Wheres the Writ to bear arms, Hermann?”
He withdraws a scroll case from a pouch.
Raegar has Bill look it over.
Raegar: “I just thought you might like to see I was a man of my word.”
Bill: “As you say. I never thought I’d see such a thing.”
“I’m prepared to turn over most of our arms to a communal armory – although I can’t ask my men to turn over their personal weapons.”
Bill: “I’m prepared to turn over most of our arms to a communal armory – although I can’t ask my men to turn over their personal weapons.”
Raegar: “Wouldn’t really expect them too, to be honest.”
Raegar: “With a caveat.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “It goes without saying that if people are allowed to keep weapons, the town will need a town watch.”
Raegar: “Maybe not today, we arent that many yet. But at the very least, someone to keep tempers from flaring over trivial matters.”
Raegar: “Hermann, did we have anyone in mind?”
Raegar: “Or would Mr. Bill here, play the part admirably.”
Hermann: “Well sir.. as of your party arriving, we are now several hundred people. I’d say a watch is definitely in order.”
Hermann: “And as I see it, Bill ’ere and his people are the ones experienced in fighting – certainly compared to the rest of us.”
Raegar: “My feelings exactly.”
Raegar: “Bill, see Hermann for anything you might need to set up a town watch. Unless you intend to refuse the opportunity?”
Bill: “Not at all, I’d be honored. I’ll start organizing something in the morning.”
Raegar: “Good.”
Raegar: “I will be retiring for the evening. Tomorrow we head to Garmol.”
Campaign saved.
Food is prepared, meals are eaten, sleep is had
As the sun’s first rays begin to bathe the world, Hoxton and Brother Hansen gather a throng
The sacrimental wine cart is close at hand.
brb…
feel free to carry on, though, given that particular unsettling image.
Hoxton: “In the first rays of light of the day, Horus-Re smiles unto us. Into this cup those rays fall, and warm it as a vessel to contain Horus’ love and affection.”
Hoxton raises the cup and then fills it with some of the sacramental wine. “This is but one part of Horus’ lifeblood, and we drink it to celebrate and warm our hearts, to remind ourselves of everything that he brings. Life, light, and happiness all stem from his radiance.”
Shae Vanderin looks on.
Campaign saved.
Hoxton takes a sharp blade from Brother Hansen and slices into his palm, holding up to the throng a many-scarred palm in the shape of Horus’ sunburst. He lets a few drops fall into the cup.
Hoxton: “With this act of devotion, Horus-Re’s sunblood is come upon the earth, and is ready for each of you willing to gather it unto yourself. Those who wish to bathe eternally in the light of the sunfather, please step forward and take a sip of his sunblood.”
Bill:
[3d20 = 32]
Hoxton! I hope you are prepared to bleed yourself some more! In all, 32 people come forward!
Alex (Hoxton): Indeed, and a separate cup is set aside for Raegar.
You notice that all four of the mercenaries from Rurik are among them
Raegar: the four mercs…
yes, the four men from Rurik who joined you and were left behind as guards.
Raegar: you mean, the lumberjacks?
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: former lumberjacks
GM: yar
Raegar: ok
Hoxton makes a meaningful nod towards Raegar and the cup when he’s able to catch his eye, finishing up his sermon with a few songs.
Shae Vanderin: Of the 32 that came forward, were they all the men from the forest plus the 4 mercs?
Four lumberjacks, several of the villagers from Raegarston, and mostly either men from the first column or from the 50 you came with.
Raegar sighs.
Raegar: “A promise is a promise.”
Shae Vanderin: All men?
no.
Ilphvrae meanders about the tent city, listening to the people and their conversations.
Campaign saved.
The tent city is currently abuzz with work.
Many people have been put to work leveling ground or working on the earthen walls being erected around the site of the town.
Others are at in the fields, preparing for the next planting.
Bill has apparently drafted Ryasi and the two of them have assembled most of the peasant fighters from the woods, and appear to be selecting a core for a new town guard.
Raegar: “Well, lets head to Garmol.”
Ahh, Garmol.
Campaign saved.
So, the party heads to Garmol?
Doug (Ilphvrae): sure
Shae Vanderin: Check on Las first.
Shae Vanderin: Tell her we are back and headed into Garmol if she is here.
You find her, busily helping people get settled in.
She seems uninclined to go to Garmol at this time.
Shae Vanderin: Head out then.
You are mounted, so the trip takes far less time than normal – indeed, you arrive that afternoon!
Campaign saved.
You notice that many of the crosses and gibbets present when you first came to Garmol have been removed.
Shae Vanderin: When we arrive stow the horses at the town stable and head for the Governor’s office.
You do so! At this point, the officer in the front office just points you on towards her office.
Shae Vanderin: Head on in.
Raegar: mm hmmm
Raegar: “Hello Colonel Semara.”
The colonel appears to be expecting you; for the first time her desk isn’t littered with other work when you arrive.
Colonel Semara: “So wonderful to see you all again. I hope things didn’t go badly?”
Raegar: “Quite well, in fact.
”color:#660066;“>Campaign saved.
”color:#000054;">Raegar: “We managed to talk all of the people in the forest into resettling in Ashby.”
Raegar: “No blood was spilt, not a single person died..”
Shae Vanderin: “I would like a list of wanted criminals at large for crimes in say the past year.”
Colonel Semara: “Oh, certainly. You wish a list of those wanted by my government?”
Shae Vanderin: “Local crimes of course.”
Campaign saved.
Colonel Semara: “I assume Ashby received my militia proclamation, Raegar?”
Raegar: “Oh yes, it did.”
Raegar: “Its already well on its way to be formally organized.”
Colonel Semara digs a bag out of her desk and sets it on the table, “Then I believe I owe you this, for solving my little problem.”
Raegar: weigh it by hand
It is hefty. It jingles like coin.
Ilphvrae eyes light up at the thought of getting paid
Raegar: “Excellent.”
It contains the sum of two hundred gold.
Raegar: “I need information… Specifically, where to find someone..”
Campaign saved.
Colonel Semara: “Oh, yes?”
Raegar: “William Moresby.”
Colonel Semara: “Hmm… I assume this has to do with the.. ah… Tavish.. case?”
Raegar: “Indeed.. He was identified from the list you provided.”
Colonel Semara: “You have a witness?”
Raegar: “Indeed.”
Colonel Semara: “Excellent! I will need your witness. What was the amount of the bounty on Tavish?”
Raegar: “300 gold pieces, dead or alive.”
Shae Vanderin: “300 gold coins.”
Colonel Semara: “You don’t need to worry about that last part.”
Raegar: “I had no intention of worrying about that last part… Heh.”
She digs through her desk again, before hauling out another bag and setting it on the table.
Colonel Semara: “No, I mean we’ll take it from here if you have a witness.”
Colonel Semara: “I assure you, we will keep his identity confidential to prevent retaliation of any kind.”
Raegar: “We did not bring him along with us today.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “I will have to make a special trip tomorrow.”
Raegar: “Unless you are prepared to use me as a witness to the fingerman.”
Colonel Semara: “No, no, I will need the actual witness – the thing must be done properly.”
Colonel Semara: “Military regulations are quite strict on such matters, and while I normally don’t give a damn about regulations, for this sort of thing…”
Raegar: “Very well, in that case, I might simply send a runner to Ashby and stay in town tonight.”
Colonel Semara: “That would be acceptable.”
Shae Vanderin: “I 2nd that idea.”
Colonel Semara: “Miss Vanderin, I expect the list you want will be changing very soon, so you may wish to wait until after the festivities tomorrow.”
Raegar: “Festivities?”
Shae Vanderin: “I see. Uh why will it be changing?”
Colonel Semara: “Why yes. You didn’t think we’d drag this Tavish affair out, did you? I expect once you get our witness, we can have the whole thing done and over with before dinner.”
Campaign saved.
Colonel Semara: “In any case, I don’t want to trouble you with it, I have plans to make – back to soldiering and what-not… more like back to being a secretary. Don’t let anyone tell you the military is glamorous.”
Shae Vanderin: Hmm. Does it seem like she is hiding something?
Hoxton: “No, the only glamor in life is to be doing the will of Horus-Re. Regret not, Semara, you are good at secretarial functions. Your desk is finally properly clean.”
I suppose it depends on what you define as hiding something – she’s obviously not telling you everything.
Shae Vanderin: Skill [Sense Motive]
[1d20+6 = 9]
Shae Vanderin: Course she isnt :)
Colonel Semara: “I.. what?”
Ilphvrae sighs at the comment by Hox
Shae Vanderin: “Well this is great! We get paid and don’t have to get our hands dirty. Speaking of dirty, I think we could all use a bath. Lets let the Colonel get back to her paperwork.”
Hoxton: “Indeed. Best she be at paperwork rather than soldiering. And you do look like you should be cleaned up, Shae. A woman should take pride in looking good for the men around her.”
Campaign saved.
Hoxton, fortitude save?
Raegar: “Shae, Hoxton, can I have a moment with the Colonel?”
Shae Vanderin: “Sure, we will divy up the gold at the same bar we stayed at last time. Im headed there now. Selene, Ilph, care to join me?”
Hoxton: Fortitude save
[1d20+9 = 21]
That would be … something… about.. Meryaks…
The Drunken Meryak
Shae Vanderin: Yup headed there.
Certainly. Selene goes with.
Shae Vanderin: Bow to the colonel before departing.
Ilphvrae leans aginst the wall since she was not asked to leave
Raegar: “Right, Ilphvrae, a moment please.”
Raegar: “I wont be long.”
Raegar: “Here.”
Ilphvrae: Sure, I will be right outside
Raegar tosses the bag of coins to Ilph.
Ilphvrae steps out
Hoxton nods to Raegar and heads off to pay his respects.
Ilphvrae catches the coin
Ilph, you have just been tossed a bag of 300 gold.
Raegar: 200
Raegar: the bag with 300 is staying right here
Campaign saved.
Raegar: there are 2 bags.
Ah, quite
Shae, Hoxton, as you are leaving the military quarter and, as you wander out into town
Ilphvrae leans aginst the wall accross from the dor and wait for Raegar
You notice that, compared to your prior visits…. the city is full of troops.
Tents have been set up in rows on the parade ground.
Shae Vanderin: Human Daltigoth soldiers?
Daltigoth, yes. Mostly elves and humans.
At a guess, you’d say the garrison has doubled.
Shae Vanderin: “Wonder what this parade is all about?”
Shae Vanderin: “Ah well. May as well ask at the bar.”
Shae Vanderin: Continue on.
You arrive at the Drunken Meryak!
Shae Vanderin: Bath, wine, food in that order.
Shae Vanderin: And wait for Raegar.
Campaign saved.
Shae, eventually Hoxton arrives.
Unrelated, you notice a fair number of soldiers in the tavern as well.
Shae Vanderin: Approach a table of them, “Hail soldiers, can I buy you a round of ales as a token of gratitude for your job?”
Shae Vanderin has had a few glasses of wine herself by now.
They look up at you. The one in charge studies you for a moment.
You notice that none of them is drinking anything stronger than water.
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “My family was a military family… at least my uncle was. Wondering why so many soldiers are here in Garmol?”
Soldier: “The ale won’t be necessary, but we appreciate the gesture.”
Alex (Hoxton): Aight – just have to head off guys. A bit tired today. Night!
‘Alex’ disconnected
Nick (Shae Vanderin): nite alex
Shae Vanderin: “And the parade… is it some kind of military parade?”
Soldier: “Parade? I suppose you could call it a parade.”
A second chimes in, “Aye, a parade right up to the scaffold..”
A third, “I don’t envy the ones on that job, hard work building so many gallows.”
Shae Vanderin: Scaffold is for building construction right?
Ilph, Raegar exits and begins heading to the Drunken Meryak
In all fairness, given the time it would’ve taken to get to the Meryak, they probably are going to arrive (at this point)
Shae Vanderin: “Huh, whos all getting the axe?
”color:#000054;">Shae Vanderin: “
”color:#000054;">Raegar: "I have aa theory..
Soldier: “Can’t say.”
Ilphvrae follows along with Raegar
Campaign saved.
(meaning, Ilph and Raegar arrive at the bar now. The conversation with the colonel was not particularly long, so the party is reunited.)
Soldier: “Probably quite a few people.. more, if they don’t behave.”
The second notes, “Its quite an affair.. I expect they figure on a dozen, at least.”
Shae Vanderin: “There was a major problem with banditry last time I was here. Now its all soldiers.”
Soldier: “You calling us a problem, lass?”
Shae Vanderin: “I mean its great! Better a soldier than a bandit.”
Shae Vanderin pshaws at the soldiers comment.
Shae Vanderin: “Well you guys enjoy your evening.”
Shae Vanderin heads back to her table.
You are all happily together once again!
Shae Vanderin: “Alright. Lets divy up the gold and discuss the future.”
Raegar: “Listen to me Shae.”
Shae Vanderin: “And order some more wine. Waitress!”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “Weren’t your parents… ehh… Nobles?
”color:#540000;">Shae Vanderin looks at Raegar suddenly serious, “Yes. They were.”
A waitress comes by and deposits wine infront of each of you!
Shae Vanderin: Tip her a silver.
Raegar: “Listen to me very carefully… Skip. Town. Tomorrow.”
Shae Vanderin: “What? Why?”
Raegar taps on the table.. Looks around for soldiers.“
”color:#000054;“>Raegar: Any soldiers within ear-shot?
”color:#000054;“>Not really, its a loud bar.
”color:#000054;">Raegar: “Well..”
Shae Vanderin: “You cant mean… no way, what is it?”
Raegar: “Its a theory..”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “Well I dont deal in theories. Facts are the only thing you can rely on in love and battle.”
Raegar: “I think they are going to kill all the nobility.”
Shae Vanderin: “And you feel you have facts that support this theory?”
Raegar: “I’m afraid not..”
Shae Vanderin squints at Raegar to read him for a moment.
Shae Vanderin: “Ill wait in Reagarton.
”color:#000054;">Shae Vanderin: “
”color:#000054;“>Raegar: wave the Innkeeper over
”color:#000054;“>He approaches.
”color:#660066;“>Campaign saved.
”color:#000054;">Raegar: “I need to have a runner sent to Ashby, can you arrange it?”
Barkeep: “Certainly sir!”
Barkeep: "We have variable rates, sir, for two silver, I send runner. For five, I give him horse. For two copper, I send “No Legs” Buckley – for the mailer on a budget.“
”color:#540000;“>Raegar hands over 5 silver coins.
”color:#000054;">Raegar: “He is to find Bill, ask him to meet us here tomorrow, as soon as possible.”
Campaign saved.
He nods in understanding, and hastens off to find a messenger.
You sit in somber silence, as tables of soldiers all around fill the tavern with a lively roar.
Shae Vanderin: Finish up my wine. Then get up from the table.
Shae Vanderin: “Ashby Reagar. 3 days.”
Shae Vanderin: Leave and head back to Ashby.
Mmm…k.
You probably actually beat Raegar’s messenger back.
I’m guessing at this point that people turn in for the night?
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: Yup.
Doug (Ilphvrae): sure
2/3. The party crashes for the night.
Raegar, Ilphvrae, you awaken and return to the tavern to find Bill already there.
Raegar: “Hello Bill.”
Bill: “Good morning Raegar, miss Ilphvrae.. what’s going on? When I got here, the city gates were closed behind me.”
Raegar: “You’ll need to come with me to see the Colonel. You are a witness to William Tavish’s crimes after all…”
Raegar: "they’ll be arresting … “him” today.“
”color:#000054;">Ilphvrae: “Hello Bill, thank you for coming as quick as you did.”
Bill: “I.. see.”
A server drops two plates infront of the two of you.
Raegar: ah crap
Raegar: i dun fucked up
Campaign saved.
Doug (Ilphvrae): eh?
Raegar: i assumed we were alone
effectively, yes, you were.
The tavern is surprisingly quiet at the moment.
Doug (Ilphvrae): Oh I see… Well I can be someplace else…
Raegar: not you
Raegar: the server
you’re worrying over nothing, the server came and left.
Is it my use of the term “drops” that’s causing the confusion?
Doug (Ilphvrae): Ah, I see
Raegar: yea
Raegar: did he drop the plates because of what I said?
sorry, no
not what I meant, just that he put them infront of you
language issue
Doug (Ilphvrae): I think he ment drops as in puts plates in front of us
Raegar: very good then
Raegar: ok
You eat, or you don’t, it makes no difference.
You gather up Bill and head to the military quarter?
Raegar: “You wont have any trouble Bill, bit of a surprise to me too..”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “I was supposed to catch the other bill from the list and turn in corpse..”
Raegar: “I think we got mixed up with something bigger..”
Raegar: “Commander told me something else about that list she supplied yesterday, something I dont think she intended to tell me till today..”
Bill: “But that I noticed. That list of names are all nobility and merchants.”
Raegar: “Point being, I needed you here.”
Raegar: “Yes well, I hadn’t noticed that..”
Bill: “Foreigner, eh?”
Raegar: “I had asked for criminals… It seems she supplied people she wanted out of the way..”
Bill: “Criminal is a subjective term, Raegar.”
Bill: “And defined by whoever holds the blade.”
Raegar: “If my hunch is right, it won’t particularly matter after today.”
Raegar: “Yes, Bill. I agree. I just dont like terms changing on me at the last minute, I could keep my conscience clear if I had caused the death of a maniac. This just isn’t quite as clean.”
Raegar: “Although from what I’ve seen of the merchant and noble class of this city… I suppose its the difference between mud and dirt..”
Raegar: “We best head to see the commander.”
Raegar: stand up and head over there
You do so.
Campaign saved.
The city seems devoid of life; nothing moves in the streets but soldiers.
You arrive at the military quarter to find the colonel and a pair of officers conversing in hushed terms on the parade ground.
tones, even.
Raegar: “Good morning Commander.”
Colonel Semara: “Ah, Raegar! Good morning! Ilphvrae, hello there. I assume this is our, ah, witness?”
Raegar: “Indeed.”
Raegar: “Bill Smith.”
Campaign saved.
Colonel Semara: “I see. It is our practice to take such a witness statement with magical truthsight in effect, will that be satisfactory?”
Raegar: “If you say so Colonel Semara.”
Raegar: “Bill?”
Bill: “I don’t see as I have much choice, sirs. That’ll be acceptable.”
The colonel casts a spell, the other two officers look on in boredom, and she asks Bill, “You know the true identity of William Tavish to be William Moresby, of Garmol?”
Bill: “That is correct.”
Colonel Semara turns to her officers, “I detect no lies. Are the forms observed?”
The officers nod, and Semara turns back to you. “We’re done here, you can either watch the hangings or depart.”
Campaign saved.
Colonel Semara: “You’d be surprised at how much of the town turns out when you publicize intent to execute their least favorite people.”
The two officers hurry off.
Bill looks a little.. dumbstruck.
Ilphvrae looks to Raegar and wispers “Looks like the Colonel is taking it upon herself to resolve the issues with the city.”
Raegar: “Yes… She is.”
Ilphvrae continues – “well within her rights”
Colonel Semara: “Your witness will be pleased to know that I have entered it officially that the lord Moresby has acted falsely under his name, and that the bounty on William Tavish has been declared void.”
Campaign saved.
Colonel Semara: “Since the people who posted the bounty will shortly no longer be in any position to pay it, I sense no future problems.”
Raegar: "Good, now we can stop calling you “Bill”, William.“
”color:#000054;">Raegar: " I must say this is going to be a very interesting conversation to have with Shae.."
Colonel Semara: “I don’t envy you that one. Unfortunately, I really have to be going. We already have a body count in the dozens, and the nooses probably haven’t even been filled.”
Raegar: “Very well, supplies for the town?”
Raegar: “Your ahem help for the needy.”
Colonel Semara: “My last count for population in Ashby was about four hundred – we’ll see to it they get their share.”
Raegar: “Very well, have it sent to the attention of the town Hetman, Hermann.”
Raegar: “He will know how to best put it to use. One last question, can I set up a small lumber yard in the northern reaches of the woods south of Garmol?”
Raegar: “Lumber is needed in Ashby.”
Colonel Semara: “Certainly.”
Raegar: “good, good.”
Raegar: “Good day, Commander.”
Campaign saved.
Colonel Semara: “Good day.”
Raegar: “Well, back to Ashby I suppose.”
Ilphvrae nods to the Colonel “Good day”
She hurries off.
Leaving you standing idle on the parade ground.
Raegar: Leave for Ashby
Doug (Ilphvrae): yup
Shae, your comrades arrive in Ashby at about noon.
Campaign saved.
Raegar and Ilphvrae! You arrive at Ashby at about noon!
Shae Vanderin is sitting outside.
Shae Vanderin: “Hail! So you have returned.”
Ilphvrae looks at Raegar and nods “She may not take this to well.” shrugs
Raegar: “The Dalrithaar state executed all of the nobles and merchants in the city.”


Session 12
Session 14
Gaming Sessions

Session 13

To Seek the Stars Kiergath