Session 16


Chat log started at 14.2.2013 / 20:27:57

Raegar: “Right.”
Truthfully, I don’t actually remember what we were doing.
Oh, good, Raegar breaking the silence. HOOOOOOOOO!

Raegar: “I’m not so certain that going back to Rurik at this moment is the wisest course of action.”
Raegar: “Selene was sure she hadn’t seen anyone there… There was only the smell of death about the place for her to guess as to what happened.”
Raegar: “She also noted that the grove was overgrown..”
Raegar: “Sacking Rurik can’t have happened yesterday..”
Raegar: “Now… If whatever is acting up wants to cause its lot of chaos.. It’ll head for Garmol..”
Raegar: “Now, what is between Rurik and Garmol?”
Shae Vanderin: “I tend to agree. If the undead have re-risen there then the people have either already fled or passed.”
Raegar: “Ashby.”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “Plus I hate to say it but theres no incentive for us to go there.”
Raegar: HOLY CRAP
Raegar: I watched enought russian music on youtube that my commercials are now russian.
some day, I need to revise the map and put Ashby on it.
Shae Vanderin: “Ilphvrae, do you have an opinion on this?”
Doug (Ilphvrae): clean out your chase, kill your cookies and history. That ‘might’ resolve that issue. Or shoot it because it is russian
Doug (Ilphvrae): cashe, hard to type with a cat on the keyboard
Ilphvrae: “I agree that it is a lost cause to go to back
”color:#000054;">Shae Vanderin: “Hmm. Well, I can think of only 2 reasons to go.”
Doug (Ilphvrae): if you shoot it make sure you use a good ole German made weapon of some sort.
Shae Vanderin: “One, we could scout it out in return for a reward from the Colonel. And.. if the people were killed, their left-behinds may be valuable.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “She promised a reward?”
Ilphvrae: “Only thing I could think to do would be to check on that Druid, some people may have taken shelter with her again. She would not leave her grove unless it was very dire.”
Shae Vanderin: “I take it that niether of you have any qualms releiving the dead of their posessions? Lest they be under some sort of sacred nature.”
Raegar: “Ahh.. Selene said the Grove had been sacked… No trace of anyone.”
Clarification for Ilph, because Doug wasn’t here – Selene indicated the Grove was abandoned.
Shae Vanderin: “And no the Colonel did not promise a reward, we would have to sell her on that.. detail.”
Ilphvrae: “Looting dead commoners is not going to get you much but a few coppers.”
Doug (Ilphvrae): Yeah I read the logs but I guess that part did not stick.
Shae Vanderin: “True, Im thinking more of the main strutures, say where Valquette resided.”
Kiergath: yup, thats why I mentioned it Doug.
Shae Vanderin: “But yes its not worth the risk unless we can negotiate some sort of reward with someone interested in Rurik. Thats just my 2 coppers.”
Doug (Ilphvrae): I have worms and virus and trojens on my mind. How to figure out if it is a multipart or is it stealthly hiding someplace.
Campaign saved.
Ilphvrae: “I doubt that she will be interested inmore then having it burt to the ground.”
Ilphvrae: “She has troops to do that and they are paid no more or less than their normal pay.”
Raegar: “Hmm…”
Shae Vanderin: “You are likely right. Well I dont mind either way.”
Raegar: “If my hunch is correct, we are about to have to defend Ashby.”
Ilphvrae: Also having to read MINNESOTA v. CARTER (97-1147) and Mapp v. Ohio (No. 236) for a damn legal analysis paper due Sunday…
Raegar: “We could go back to Rurik in a few days… See if anything of worth is left.”
Campaign saved.
Ilphvrae: “Your runner told the Col. and I am sure she has troops on the way to burn it and a area around the town. If we were to want any form of ‘work’ it would be to locate the source of this infestation.”
Raegar: “We have no clue where its coming from however..”
Ilphvrae: About the only things that will be worth anything will be whatever equipment from the mill, saws, etc.. a grind stone if there is one, stuff like that.“
”color:#000054;">Raegar: “We know Rurik was destroyed. We didn’t know by what means, from where or even why.”
Ilphvrae: “A fire would have to be really hot to crack the grind stone or melt the saw blades. So they should still be serviceable.”
Shae Vanderin: “Thats what I was thinking we could do for the Colonel. If she even cares about learning the source as opposed to slashing and burning the whole area as Ilphy just said.”
Raegar: “I.. Don’t feel so well..”
Campaign saved.
Ilphvrae: “We would need to speak to her first and get some sort of commision to look into it. She will not be ‘required’ to give us anything pay just for using our initive.”
Raegar drops to the ground.
Raegar falls face forward.
Ilphvrae: “Umm.. Raegar?”
Raegar muffled.
Shae Vanderin kneels down, “Hey, whats wrong with you.”
Raegar: “I’ve fainted.”
Doug (Ilphvrae): we inside our outside or what?
Doug (Ilphvrae): or*
Shae Vanderin: “Stay with him Ilph, Im going to go grab some water.”
Shae Vanderin heads off to grab water and Hoxton if she can find him.
I assume you’re outside.
Hoxton is nowhere.
Ilphvrae rolls Raegar on his side and tilts his head to the floor so he wont swallow his tongue or choke if he vomits.“
”color:#000054;“>Shae returns with water!
”color:#540000;“>Ilphvrae steps out of the way of the oncomming water
”color:#540000;“>Shae Vanderin splashes Raegar in the face with cold water.
”color:#660066;“>Campaign saved.
”color:#540000;“>Raegar limp
”color:#540000;“>Ilphvrae check him for any wounds
”color:#000054;“>Shae Vanderin: Assist Ilph.
”color:#660066;“>Shae Vanderin: Skill [Heal] [1d20+1 = 20]
”color:#005500;“>Doug (Ilphvrae): spider bites, bug bites, dart makes
”color:#000054;“>nadda
”color:#540000;“>Ilphvrae looks around
”color:#005500;“>Doug (Ilphvrae): who do I see
”color:#000054;“>uh… peasants milling about..
”color:#000054;">Shae Vanderin: “Im going to take him inside and put him in a bed.”
a growing crowd of whom are watching Raegar..
Doug (Ilphvrae): Any of the ‘leader types"?
Afraid not, no
Shae Vanderin picks up Raegar and takes him indoors.
You pick up Raegar and carry him indoors!
Doug (Ilphvrae): I know the guard sgt
Doug (Ilphvrae): of the lumber dude?
wat?
Doug (Ilphvrae): are they around?
Shae Vanderin: Find an unoccupied cot/bed and set him down carefully.
None of the named NPCs are handy.
Doug (Ilphvrae): Whats the name of the guard leader? William?
William / Bill.
either one works, same dude.
Campaign saved.
Ilphvrae get a commonor and ask if they know who bill is, if they do have them go find him and have him come to me, now. Hurry
mm..k…. 10 minutes later Bill hurries in.
William: “Whats going o—what happened??”
Ilphvrae: “Raegar has colapsed. We need to get a message to Gamol (or how ever the fuck you spell it) for a healer. Who can you send that is trsutworthy and fast.”
He blinks, pauses a moment, and then darts for the door calling back over his shoulder, "I don’t know, but I’ll find someone!“
”color:#000054;“>A few minutes later, you hear hooves fading rapidly.
”color:#540000;“>Ilphvrae goes in where raegar is
”color:#000054;">Shae Vanderin: “Ilphvrae, I do not want to sound paranoid. But remember the undead that we faced had the ability of deceiving others by assuming the form of those they replaced.”
Campaign saved.
Ilphvrae: “yeah?”
Shae Vanderin: “Im not suggesting anything, but lets be extra cautious ok.”
Raegar stands up straight in his bed.
Shae Vanderin: “Especially now that Rurik was destroyed. If it was by the same creautes then they could be anywhere infiltrating and gathering information.”
Raegar gives the room a thousand yard stare.
Shae Vanderin: “Raegar?! Are you ok?”
…that means he’s staring blankly into space.
like he’s been doing.
Raegar: “I’m… Not Sure..”
Ilphvrae: “I sent for a healer. No clue if one will come or not.”
Shae Vanderin: “You fainted about an hour ago in the middle of our conversation. Do you remember”
You hear hooves thundering down the road from Garmol!
Ilphvrae goes out to see who is coming
You see a column of riders riding hard from Garmol.
They do not turn to enter Rurik, but continue down the road.
err, ashby*
Raegar stands up.
Ilphvrae sighs “I said a healer not the army…”
Campaign saved.
Ilphvrae sighs again “I hope they did not run my mesenger over.”
You lose count at 30 or 40.
Shae Vanderin: “I can only guess they were a detachment sent to investigate Rurik.”
Shae Vanderin: Did they bear one of the standards of the garrisons in Garmol?
no standards.
Ilphvrae: “thats what I figure.”
Shae Vanderin: Did they look like guardsmen?
They were definitely fairly uniformly equipped.
Shae Vanderin: “Raegar do you feel ok?”
Raegar: “What happened?”
Shae Vanderin: “You fainted over an hour ago now. We were worried.”
Raegar: “…Something… Is about to happen..”
Shae Vanderin: “What do you mean… something?”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “We really to talk about my past at some point…”
Raegar: “Get William.. Double the guard and open the armory.”
Ilphvrae peers at Raegar
Shae Vanderin nods and leaves.
Ilphvrae go look for Selene and Las
Selene is still passed out on a cot. If you suggest she wakes up, she throws a boot in your direction.
Lasariel, however, you can find.
Shae – you re-find Bill, I assume?
Shae Vanderin: Yes.
Not hard to do, he’s lurking outside the door.
Shae Vanderin: And then Im going to help rally the guards together.
Ilphvrae passes on the information to Las and asks her to join us
You rally the guards!
Ilphvrae Lests Selene know that trouble may be on the way
Arrows are laid out on what little there is done of the earthen ramparts by the bushel full.
Doug (Ilphvrae): find my compatriot and tell her as well
Raegar: “I need to go scout out the surounding area..”
Campaign saved.
At this point, it is dusk.
Raegar: “A ride around the city…”
Raegar: town*
Shae Vanderin addresses the guards once rallied.
Shae Vanderin: “People of Ashby! Hear my words! Raegar has informed us that our new home may be in danger. We do not know for sure yet what the danger is but we call upon you to be strong as you have in the past and do your duty to protect our home. As we know more we will let you know. For now all women, children, elderly, and sick are to be indoors for their own safety. We want the guard patrol doubled until further notice and armory open. Nobody is to travel alone from this point forward. May fortune be with us, that is all.”
Shae Vanderin: Can I do a diplomacy to raise their morale?
Campaign saved.
and the DM comes back from getting food..
yes, please do.
Shae Vanderin: Skill [Diplomacy]
[1d20+14 = 28]
I won’t say they’re cheering.. but they stand to without a grumble.
Shae Vanderin: Go get the horse Ive been borrowing and head back to find Ilphvrae.
Ilphvrae is probably not far away.
Campaign saved.
having probably found Ryasi and then listened to your speech.
Shae Vanderin: Is anyone else standing near us?
if you’re in the middle of town (which I assume).. probably not, everyone else has things to do.
the party, Las, and Ryasi at this point.
Shae Vanderin: “I’m not sure what to make of this. But remember what I said and lets keep on our guard.”
Lasariel: “What exactly are we guarding against?”
Raegar: “Not sure, whatever wiped out Rurik.”
Shae Vanderin: “You had a vision of some kind? What did you see Raegar?”
Lasariel: “A.. vision, you say? How interesting!”
Ilphvrae: “I thinkit may be more then that. Raegar seems to think it is something but has yet to say what it might be. Also mentioned his past and our should being to know it at some point.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “Time is wasting..”
Raegar heads towards the horses.
Shae Vanderin: “Raegar, you must tell us what is going on here.”
Raegar: “You have to understand something. I don’t know myself…”
Raegar: “We need to go see what exactly is going on outside of town.”
Ilphvrae mounts up
Shae Vanderin looks warily at Raegar then nods.
Lasariel: “If its all the same, I’ll keep an eye on things here..”
Raegar: “As you wish.”
Ryasi mounts and follows.
Raegar rides out into the night.
Shae Vanderin: Is there a moon?
Aye!
Ilphvrae follows along
Doug (Ilphvrae): prolly to her doom :(
Shae Vanderin: Light my lantern and then follow.
Campaign saved.
You light your illumination and follow!
Raegar: track undead
Whither do you ride, Raegar-san!?
Raegar: towards Rurik
err… hmm.. roll it
and are you taking the road, or cross country?
Raegar: im thinking cross country.
Raegar: am i using spot, search…
Raegar: survival..?
Raegar: i forget.
that one.
survival is track.
Raegar: Skill [Survival]
[1d20+6 = 8]
Raegar: Well
You find nothing!
Raegar: At least it aint a 1
Until you get a ways out from Ashby.
About a mile out from the village – a little beyond where work has been being done to prepare fields..
Roll searches – and not just Raegar – everyone.
Ilphvrae: Skill [Search]
[1d20+13 = 16]
Raegar: Skill [Search]
[1d20+5 = 17]
Let me put it this way – don’t roll a one.
Shae?
Shae Vanderin: Skill [Search] [1d20 = 9]
Tracks. Everywhere.
Marching towards Ashby.. and then.. stopping.
Its a jumble, but one thing is consistant.
About a mile from Ashby… they stop and seem to recoil backwards.
Raegar: “Thats odd.”
Like there is a line in the earth they cannot cr—-why yes, there is!
Campaign saved.
a small furrough in the earth.. .and no track passes beyond.
Raegar: Anything in there?
nothing visible.
Shae Vanderin: “What is it, some kind of magic ward?”
Ryasi: “Looks like it, judging from the effect..”

Shae Vanderin: “Fortunate. But where did it come from?”
Raegar: “Hmm…”
Raegar: “I have my theory on that matter..”
Shae Vanderin: “I have no knowledge of this area, is there any history of a ward or holy ground in Ashby?”
Ryasi: “I’ve no idea.. I’m not exactly local.”
To be fair.. none of you are.
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: Was Ashby attacked by undead in the past that we know of?
Raegar: its a new town..
on the contrary – there have been people living there for a long time… but it never amounted to anything.
Shae Vanderin: The farmland and farmhouses were there before the town.
seems unlikely that a handful of farmers’ huts would be warded.
Shae Vanderin: So that means the ward is recent.
Raegar: eyup
Ilphvrae: “The Druid maybe?”
Shae Vanderin: “The only thing weve done is fortify the town and begin construction of more structures.”
Raegar: “Who’s been spending a large amount of time in Ashby?”
Raegar: “Hardly ever goes out…”
Shae Vanderin: “Lasariel, Hoxton, the 4 lumber millers, I dont know who?”
Ryasi: “Several hundred peasants..”
Raegar: “Someone new..”
Raegar: “Someone.. Holy..”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “Im at a loss.”
Raegar: “Someone with penchant for wine…”
Ryasi: “That priest you had with you when you found Will.. what was his name?”
Shae Vanderin: “Ah right, Hoxton’s brother in the clergy.”
Raegar: “..Not that it terribly matters in any case. One does not look a gift ward in the mouth.”
Raegar: Where do the undead seem to have turned to?
Raegar: the tracks
Shae Vanderin: “I dont remember his name off hand.”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “But we will find out soon enough.”
Raegar: “We should find the undead, not concentrate on why they didn’t decide to attack.”
Nick (Shae Vanderin): afk couple mins
Shae Vanderin: “Agreed. Lead on.”
The undead seem to head in the direction of Rurik – northwest.
Raegar: “Hmm…”
Raegar: “This makes no sense at all..”
Raegar: Do the tracks look old or fresh?
I don’t recall when you explored that tomb and found the Drow…
uh… maybe a week?
Raegar: ok
Campaign saved.
Ryasi: “This makes no sense, if you assume the undead are uncontrolled. ‘Wild’ undead would have circled the ward and continued to Garmol.”
Raegar: “My thoughts exactly.”
Raegar: “So, what is controling them.”
Raegar: “And why? Rurik is small, insignificant really.”
Ryasi: “It occupies an important road, if nothing else.”
Raegar: “Leading where?”
Ryasi: “North, to Talas and Daltigoth.”
Ryasi: “From the maps I’ve seen, there is no other major north-south road. Rurik could cut the kingdom in half.”
Ilphvrae: “We should find the history of this area, maybe tehre is a deeper reason that we cant see because it was ages ago.”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “We have come thsi far. May as well see where the tracks head back to.”
Raegar: “Indeed.”
Shae Vanderin: “If it is that same crypt then we deffinately missed something.”
Raegar: Start followin’ da tracks
It is now going on 10 or 11 at night.
You follow the tracks.
How far do you intend to follow them?
Raegar: well
Raegar: “I would wager we could follow these all the way to Rurik.”
Okay, I’m basically asking.. are you going back to Ashby, or going to Rurik?
Raegar: “Perhaps… We should rest before continuing on to Rurik. Then again, I am quite well rested and could ride to Rurik..”
Shae Vanderin: “We should time it that we arrive in Rurik around Dawn or mid morning.”
Shae Vanderin: “So lets camp here inside this ward and then head out before daybreak.”
Raegar: “Sounds fine. What about the riders?”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “Well keep an eye out for them. They arent our responsibility.”
Raegar: “Sounds like a plan.
”color:#000054;“>Raegar: Set up camp
”color:#000054;“>mmk.
”color:#000054;“>Shae Vanderin: Standard watch rotation.
”color:#000054;“>The new day dawns.
”color:#000054;“>Shae, you notice that you are not entirely alone on your watch.
”color:#000054;“>Shae Vanderin: How so?
”color:#000054;“>Ryasi’s horse seems rather focused on watching, for a dumb animal.
”color:#000054;“>Shae Vanderin: Pack up, eat a light meal, then head out.
”color:#000054;">Shae Vanderin: “Ryasi, I noticed your horse is quite special. Seems to be rather intelligent.”
Ryasi: “Its all in the breeding.”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “How would one aquire such a magnificent steed?”
Ryasi: “I suppose one would need to be given one.”
Shae Vanderin: “What I mean is, where did you get her?”
Ryasi: “In my homeland, there are a small handful like her- all from the same sire. I doubt any of you could ever acquire one of the others.”
Ryasi: “I have no idea if that sire even still lives.”
Shae Vanderin: “Well you are very lucky.”
Shae Vanderin: Keep riding.
It is the dawn of the second day when you arrive at Rurik.
You are unmolested on your travels.
Shae Vanderin: “Lets head inside the town and see what we can find out.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “You don’t get it, do you Shae..”
Raegar: “Her horse..?”
Ilphvrae: “we should scout around the edges of the town before we go in.”
Raegar: “I’d wager that horse knows more about what is going on than we do..”
Shae Vanderin: “What? Its a beautiful horse.”
Raegar: “I wonder how it feels about being called a horse..”
Raegar: “Whats its name Ryasi?”
Shae Vanderin: “Well it is a horse. I was only compimenting its features.”
Raegar: “By the way… Shae..”
It looks at Shae somewhat exhasperately.
Raegar: “Thats not a she…”
Nick (Shae Vanderin): ok well if it was a male I would have said he. :P
Kiergath: actually, hang on while Icheck the log and see if I did actually ID it.
Raegar: Dearest me, I’ve forgotten my tullips.
Campaign saved.
Kiergath: No I didn’t, Raegar is correct though.
Ryasi: “Golhyrrghinn – named after the sire. Usually just call him ‘Gol’ or ‘Golhyrr’ though, the full bit is a little wordy.”
Raegar laughs.
Shae Vanderin: “Well, lets get to exploring. I wonder if anyone has been here recently.”
When you get within sight of Rurik, you notice quite a bit of activity.
Shae Vanderin: “I mean besides Selene, and since its destruction.”
A large quantity of horses are roaming in an area of field under guard.
Armed men stand watch from several rooftops.
Shae Vanderin: “Must be the riders.”
And a great deal of hustle and bustle is occurring around the temple of Horus.
Raegar: “Interesting.”
Shae Vanderin: Head in.
You head in, and are challenged by a sentry when you reach the buildings.
Soldier: “Who are you, and what brings you here?”
Shae Vanderin looks at Raegar.
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “I am Raegar of Ashby. I believe you were sent here because of word I had sent to Garmol.”
Raegar: “I’ve come to investigate if my people were in any danger.”
Soldier: “Huh. We were warned you people might come poking about. Go on in, there’s a command post set up in the temple.”
Raegar: “Much obliged.”
Raegar: go on in
There seem to be a number of soldiers going through the town buildings..
A number of buildings you pass have had large X’s cut into the doors.
And the soldiers seem to leave such marks behind when they leave a building.
Smoke has begun to come from the north side of town, since you’ve arrived.
Raegar: “Burning corpses is a nasty business.”
Doesn’t smell like bodies.. smells like wood.
Raegar: hmm
You arrive at the temple un-challenged.
Ilphvrae: “It is like I said, they are going to burn the village down to ashes.”
Ryasi: “Not looking like that’ll be much of a loss, at this point.”
Campaign saved.
Ilphvrae: “The X’s most likely mean the building is clear to be burned.”
Shae Vanderin: “Lets find out what these soldiers know and then go from there. Maybe they know the source of what happened here.”
Shae Vanderin: Head into the temple and see if we can find the main person in charge.
Inside the temple, you find it has largely been cleared out.. The statuary is nowhere to be seen, and the dais that the main statue of Horus was upon has been re-purposed as a map table.
Raegar: “Whats going on here?”
A number of soldiers in the wings, resting on their bedrolls, while an officer stands at the impromptu table, looking over a map of the vicinity
Raegar at least recognizes the officer – he’s one of the two that witnessed William’s testimony.
“Long version or the short version? The short version’s nobody’s here. The long version is we also don’t know where they went.”
Raegar: approach
Campaign saved.
“Do you have news, are you here to help, or are you here to get in the way? If one of the first two, welcome. If the last, I’d appreciate it if you’d just go back to Ashby.”
He seems more exhausted than intentionally harsh, in the way he says this.
Raegar chuckles.
Raegar: “You don’t know us very well do you?”
Shae Vanderin: “Hmm. Well that is to the point.”
Raegar: “What is your most pressing concern then?”
Campaign saved.
“My most pressing concern is finding out what got the surviving population of Rurik to either leave – or die.”
“I’ve got a rider headed to Talas to see if they went that way, but he’ll be another day or two before he returns.”
Raegar: “What about bodies? None?”
He shakes his head, “Nothing.”
“We haven’t had time to search much of the area, but so far thats come up blank as well.”
“So far we’ve been concentrating south and east – towards Garmol. But that’s left the mill out of our search area for the moment.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “Well then, it seems like we could start at the mill.”
Raegar: “You know, come to think of it, that is the first place we encountered the undead in Rurik.”
Ilphvrae: “Well then, the mill it is.”
“Well, if you want to poke around in that direction I won’t say no – I’ve got forty men to cover the whole village and a hell of a lot of ground, so I’m not gonna complain.”
Raegar: “We will report in when we have anything to report.”
Raegar: head out towards the mill
Shae Vanderin: Yup.
He shrugs a slung horn off his shoulder and tosses it to you before you go, “If you run into trouble you can’t handle, let us know – but I can’t promise how fast anyone can respond.”
Shae Vanderin: Take the horn.
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin sighs.
Shae Vanderin: “Lets get this over with.”
Ilphvrae follows along
the DM would like to call it, I think, so he has time to think. Also, so you lovely folks have time to level up. Speaking of which, its been awhile, so, DING.
afk, brb, proceed.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): kk


Session 15
Session 17
Gaming Sessions

Session 16

To Seek the Stars Kiergath