Session 21

Raegar: any lone house guards somewhere?
not that you are able to see.
They’re deployed in ranks to block the entrance to the noble quarter, at the moment.
Shae Vanderin: “What is our goal in this Raegar. Should it not be to try and prevent hostilities and thereby gain some favor for us in the process as negotiators? If we take part in starting bloodshed, how are we going to gain anything from that?”
Raegar: “Yep.”
Raegar: “If conflict is sure to happen, we just need to make sure the nobles started the fight.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “Else the townsfolk will kill the nobles, throw out the dwarves, Daltigoth will besiege the city, city falls, everybody dies.”
Raegar: “Pretty much it..”
Shae Vanderin: “Ok well lets present that to the nobles and see what they say.”
Raegar: “..Present what?”
Raegar: “Are you INSANE?”
Shae Vanderin: “Your assessment of the situation?”
Raegar: “…So, you want us to walk in, tell them, make peace, if they dont want to, tell them they have to attack the peasents?”
Shae Vanderin: “Tell them there is no hope in not negotiating.”
Raegar: “Sure.”
Shae Vanderin: “That the city will end up destroyed.”
Raegar: “Why don’t you go inside, tell them that. I’ll try to calm the peasents.”
Campaign saved.
“Look, I don’t give a rat’s ass what your new god says – my orders are to make sure you don’t enter the quarter.” “The Light of Horus cannot be denied! If you do so, you are clearly in league with the forces of the lower planes!” “What?? That’s not what Hoxton and I taught you!” “It was strongly implied!”
Shae Vanderin: Approach the guards to the mansion.
Meaning the two out here at the meeting, or are you approaching their main lines?
Shae Vanderin: The 2 out here. “May I be granted access to meet with Lord Franz Eisenburg?”
Shae Vanderin: “I will enter unarmed if only to apprise him of the totality of the situation at hand.”
Noble Officer: “Who’re you?”
Shae Vanderin: “An impartial 3rd party. A visitor to Tombshade who does not want to see unnecessary bloodshed.”
Noble Officer: “Eh. I don’t know what good it’ll do, but go ahead.”
Shae Vanderin: Enter, leave my weapons at the door if requested.
Campaign saved.
You pass the guards… and approach the mansion unopposed.
Two guards at the door push it open and wave you in.
Shae Vanderin: Look around for a valet or someone to lead me to one of the nobles.
The first thing you notice is that the mansion is presently abuzz with activity.
Armed men drift in and out, bundles of bolts and arrows are being hauled out the front door.
Shae Vanderin: How many men strong does the noble guard seem to be?
As you approached, you thought you heard the whinny of a horse, but it was cut off.
You saw well over two hundred men blocking the approach to the district.
And there is a lot of activity beyond the lines, but it was hard to make much out.
In the main room where you spent most of the party, you see Franz standing over a drawing table with a number of men standing about him.
Shae Vanderin: Approach the table and either wait for them to notice me or to finish their conversation.
Shae Vanderin: “Lord Eisenburg.”
Campaign saved.
Franz himself is wearing gold-inlaid black half plate over blood red robes at the moment.
Shae Vanderin bows in Carthon military fashion.
The men around him here don’t have the look of the rest of the guardsmen, either.
More heavily armored, with closed-faced helms on even indoors
Shae Vanderin: Whats on the table?
A map of the district.
Little miniatures are placed roughly coinciding with the militia barricades
More seem to indicate rough numbers of people present – perhaps one to a hundred? – and there are other markers in the district that seem to indicate the same.
Shae Vanderin: Take a quick glance at the numbers, is the situation for the nobles hopeless according to their map?
“Ah, you. Miss Vanderin, was it?” He turns to the men, “We’ll continue this shortly.”
The three men bow stiffly, noiselessly save for the rattling of their arms and armor, and then tread out of the room.
Shae Vanderin: “It is. I am sorry to interrupt you in this apparent time of trouble. I have come from the barricades and have heard of the demands by the local militia.”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “I completely understand that hostile negotiations are not the correct or proper way to come to a lasting agreement. And these militia are in error because of it. But I would like to see if there is anything I could do to help you see the wisdom of avoiding bloodshed from erupting.”
Raegar: commoners.
Raegar: They have the militia on their side
Franz Eisenberg: “And what is it that the rabble want?”
in answer to your question, Shae – if your guesses as to the meaning of the symbols are correct, the nobles’ troops are outnumbered about 8 to 1.
Shae Vanderin repeats the 3 demands as told by the milita leader.
Shae Vanderin: Ok.
Shae Vanderin: “A third party arbitration could be invoked in a neutral court whereby we could possibly settle these differences peacefully. And thereby come to a compromise that avoids tragedy.”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “I swear to you that if you agree to this, I will do all that is in my power to convince these peasants and militia to disperse at least temporarily while a date is set.”
Franz Eisenberg: “Third party arbitration. Neutral courts! Compromise! How lovely the world must be in illustrious Carthon! These wretched animals want to destroy us, to ruin our families and lay low the the very fabric of society in Mishria.”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “I have watched… with tear filled eyes as the nobility and merchant leaders of Garmol were put to the gallows for the crimes of what could only be some of them committed against the local populace. And that populace sung to their hearts content as the nobles swang in thier nooses.”
Shae Vanderin: “The same thing cannot happen here. Please negotiate.”
He laughs.
It is a deep, frightening sound, as far as laughter goes.
“We do not fear this rabble. And there will be no negotiation.”
You hear sound behind you. Stomping feet and rattling armor.
Shae Vanderin turns to look.
Figures, walking from deeper in the mansion and filing out the front door.
Campaign saved.
Each one covered in armor and heavily armed, none of its flesh visible.
Franz Eisenberg: “The lords of Garmol were weak fools. We are not. This is Tombshade, second greatest jewel in the Lich’s crown. I fear these peasants no more than you fear a pig. Nor do I care about these dwarves that cower behind them.”
Shae Vanderin: “By sheer numbers there is no strategic chance of you overcoming. The people are emboldened by a new faith, they will fight to the death!”
The figures continue filing out.
Franz Eisenberg:
[1d20 = 11]
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “I had hoped peace could be preserved. Wisdom will not come from the zealousness of the commoners. Please, if you change your mind seek me out and I will aid you as best I can.”
There is an explosion from outside, and a flash of light comes through the windows!
Shae Vanderin: Like holy white light or like fire?
Like fire.
Shouting and yelling comes from all around!
Shae Vanderin: Run for the door and try and see whats going on.
GM: One of the houses near the peasants’ lines is burning like a torch
Shouting and yelling comes from all around!
One of the houses near the peasants’ lines is burning like a torch
Shae Vanderin: “It has begun.”
GM: The four men and Hansen, still parleying in the middle
The four men and Hansen, still parleying in the middle
begin scrambling for cover
Another globe of fire hurtles from the outstretched hands of a nobleman standing by the mansion.
it goes slamming through the window of another house, to explode a second later.
Arrows and crossbow bolts begin flying from the barricades and the other buildings, hurtling into the noble guards.
Campaign saved.
Shae, standing where you are, you see that the men stomping out of Franz’s manor have formed a second line behind the guardsmen.
They are being joined by similar contingents from the rest of the quarter.
Shae Vanderin: I have no idea what I should do. Is it safer here in the mansion or outside?
I have no idea.
Franz steps out of the manor, followed by the three officers he’d dismissed to speak to you.
In the darkness of the night, you see glows like red coals in their helmets.
Shae Vanderin: Follow him.
Shae Vanderin: He went outside correct?
yes, stopped right outside where he could observe.
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: And his back is to me?
Aye.
Shae Vanderin: Draw my sword.
Shae Vanderin: quietly.
Shae Vanderin: “You do not lead people by slaughtering them!”
Nick (Shae Vanderin): and suicide.
Shae Vanderin: attack Eisenburg.
Shae Vanderin: Greatsword (Attack 1)
[1d20+6 = 9]
Raegar: ….
Raegar: I was rallying support to save you
Raegar: did you just backstab a vampire?
Franz Eisenberg: to be fair, no, he didn’t.
GM: he missed one.
GM: :P
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: So that was surprise, now init?
Yeeeeeeeep…
Shae Vanderin: Initiative
[1d20+5 = 22]
Raegar: MEANWHILE WITH THE DWARVES..
Raegar: “Lets kill some Vampires commander..”
Raegar: ,
GM:
[1d20 = 20]
GM: [1d20 = 5]
Shae Vanderin
Shae Vanderin: Called shot, neck of Eisenburg.
Shae Vanderin: Greatsword (Attack 1) [1d20+6 = 19]
Raegar: how you gonna RP this is you become a vampire?
Raegar: This gonna get weird.
Shae Vanderin strikes at Eisenburg with tear filled eyes.
..hmm…
I’m… gonna actually say that’s a hit.
Shae Vanderin: Greatsword (Damage) [2d6+3 = 14]
Campaign saved.
Raegar: 14..
Raegar: double.. 28..
Raegar: neckshot..
Raegar stares at the spot where the big voice in the sky usually speaks from.
You send Eisenberg tumbling to the ground, gurgling in wide-eyed panic! His head remains attached, though.
Raegar: RUN
Shae Vanderin: If those are death knights, running will do nothing.
Raegar: …HIDE
Kiergath: LOL
GM: [1d20 = 11]
GM: [1d10+7 = 15]
One of the undead whirls to attack, drawing its blade and lashing out in the same motion, leaving a burning gash across your chest.
Campaign saved.
The second takes off at a run for the battle lines.
The third sends the gasping, gurgling Eisenberg down the path with a rather dispassionate boot.
and interposes himself between you and him.
Franz Eisenberg disolves into an eerie mist.
Shae Vanderin: As to protect him?
That was the knight’s intent, from the look of it, yes.
But as the body has just disolved into mist, it seems rather moot.
From the direction of the barricades, you hear horn calls, and the Boom! Boom! of drums.
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin
sorry, dealing with Raegar too
its all a bit slow and confused
Shae Vanderin: Spell [Fotitude Minor Aura – Demand Fortitude] → 4 on Fortitude saves
Shae Vanderin: Fighting defensively, full combat expertise, taking a 5 foot step to try and get around them and then attack the one that slashed me.
He’s still in reach
Shae Vanderin: Greatsword (Attack 1) +6 [1d20-1 = 7]
That’s a miss.
AC currently is…
what?
Shae Vanderin: 22
GM: [1d20 = 13]
GM: [1d20 = 14]
GM: [1d107 = 15]
GM: [1d10+7 = 11]
Campaign saved.
After a dazzling flurry of swings and parries, the first knight batters aside Shae’s guard, landing a punishing blow across her right leg. The blows staggers her as the second thrusts, his blade finding and slipping through a gap in her armor, lodging deeply within her body.
Showing the only emotion left to him in undeath, the corpse brings up one armored boot to roughly kick the woman off his blade.
You are unconscious.
Raegar: now you can have a nice scar like mine
Shae, I believe you have six stabilization checks.
Raegar: when i ended up at 3 points from dead
Nick (Shae Vanderin): maybe 9 if you didnt take my major aura into account.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): would have prevented 3 damage
You have to remind me of these things :P
Campaign saved.
You have 9 stabilization checks.
Raegar: so
Raegar: how we doin this
Raegar: my turn? his checks?
uh, make ‘em all, Nick – there’s nobody in reach
Shae Vanderin: [2d10 = 12]
Shae Vanderin: [2d10 = 9]
Shae Vanderin: [2d10 = 12]
Shae Vanderin: [2d10 = 8]
Shae Vanderin: [2d10 = 16]
Raegar: dave is confused.
Raegar: isnt that 1 good for stabilized?
GM: its a 10%.
Shae Vanderin: thats 5
Shae Vanderin: [2d10 = 66]
Shae Vanderin: [2d10 = 56]
Shae Vanderin: [2d10 = 17]
Shae Vanderin: [2d10 = 41]
GM: ….really?
Shae Vanderin: [2d10 = 84]
Raegar: he gets another one from my aura.
Raegar: its empire wide.
Shae Vanderin: mortal wound.
GM: …I…
GM: don’t know quite what to say.
GM: I was sure with 9 checks you’d make it.
GM: I need a drink.
Shae Vanderin: same brb
Raegar: See, thats why I started drinking two hours ago.
Campaign saved.
Raegar: .. i dont get it, you rolled a 1
Raegar: your good.
Raegar: d10
Raegar: 1 is 10%
Raegar: on your 7th try.
GM: …that was 2d10
GM: that 1 isn’t a 1, its a 10
GM: followed by a second number
GM: its a 17
Nick (Shae Vanderin): is there a 00 on the % dice?
GM: [2d100 = 81]
GM: [2d100 = 71]
GM: [2d100 = 46]
GM: [2d100 = 13]
GM: [2d100 = 48]
Raegar: wouldnt that mean 11 is the lowest one?
GM: [2d100 = 30]
GM: [2d100 = 72]
GM: [2d100 = 45]
GM: [2d100 = 80]
Nick (Shae Vanderin): didnt see it once
Raegar: possible?
GM: no dave
GM: 0 on the tens die
Raegar: ah
GM: [2d100 = 4]
GM: [2d100 = 54]
GM: [2d100 = 1]
GM: [2d100 = 90]
GM: [2d100 = 23]
GM: yep, there’re 0s on the ten’s die.
I finally got a 04 and a 01
Nick (Shae Vanderin): lol undead are my bane.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): first Shen now this.
apparently!
WE NOW JUMP TO RAEGAR
Campaign saved.
Raegar, you are charging along with a large number of dwarves.
Small arms fire has joined the hail of arrows and crossbow bolts pouring into the noble district.
The peasants hauled aside the barricades as the dwarves approached, and the assembled dwarves charge, screaming, into the lines of the noble guard.
Raegar: Do the same!
Raegar: pull out my best dwarven accent!
The dwarves tear through the guardsmen like a whirlwind!
You see a lone body, crumpled on the path leading into Franz Eisenberg’s mansion!
Beyond the shattered remnants of the noble guard, a second row of men awaits the dwarven advance, unwavering, unflinching, unspeaking.
Raegar! That body looks familiar.
Raegar: go forth
Campaign saved.
Crumpled and bloody upon the path is the body of Shae Vanderin.
Raegar: “Shae?!”
Behind you, the dwarves reform their lines and advance on their next foe, only to be met with a furious counter-attack!
Raegar! Give me a healing check!
Raegar: rush to the body
Raegar: would my favored enemy thing help me healing something?
Raegar: yay or nay?
not really, a sword wound is a sword wound.
Raegar: kays
Raegar: Skill [Heal] [1d20+6 = 9]
….
Raegar: that was practice
Give us another
Raegar: Skill [Heal] [1d20+6 = 24]
Raegar: see, practice.
You know that panicked, tearful moment in all the movies where the male lead rushes to the body of the female lead, screaming or howling in rage
Raegar: …
and starts cradling the body or performing really bad immitation CPR and usually also mouth-to-mouth or something?
Raegar: A thought occurs.
GM: Yes?
Raegar: let me just..
Raegar: check inventory..
GM: Raegar stakes the body!
Raegar: hm.. must’Ve used it..
Raegar: Thought i had a healing potion left
Campaign saved.
Raegar: dwarves have any healers about?
probably.
GM: [1d10 = 8]
Irrelevent, I just randomly checked what round it was.
Raegar! After your second bout of chest pounding and vain attempts to staunch a sucking chest wound with gauze and kleenex, you notice Shae is actually almost breathing.
Raegar: so time to drag her over to a healer
Raegar: “Now we see the violence inherent in the system…”
in all fairness, thinking about it, the dwarves and Raegar wouldn’t have been 10 rounds away, especially running full tilt.
Raegar: “Stupid human getting hacked to bits.. Getting blood all over my nice cloak..”
GM: Raegar, you haul Shae to a dwarf cleric slightly behind the lines
Raegar, you haul Shae to a dwarf cleric slightly behind the lines
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “She got into a fight over a steak with a werebear.”
He places a hand on her forehead, chanting in Dwarven. A glow surrounds his gauntletted fist and infuses itself into Shae’s wounds.
“Aye, there’re a lot of those around here, eh? Eh?”
SHAE, you are jerked rudely back from the Light!
Raegar: “Didn’t feel like waiting for the rest of us eh?”
Shae Vanderin: Was I just healed or raised?
healed, the DM decided Raegar arrived in time to stabilize you, but only just.
Shae Vanderin: ok
Shae Vanderin: “… Raegar, Eisenburg… he wont negotiate, hes… well prepared, hes.. hes going to kill all of the peasants that try to assault him.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “Don’t worry about it. The Dwarves are helping the peasents.”
Raegar: " I should’ve done more to stop you from going in there, there was no way they’d negotiate.“
”color:#000054;">Shae Vanderin: “We had to try..”

The sounds of fighting begins to diminish.
Raegar: “I dont know what kind of nobility you have in Carthon, but they seem to be kittens compared to the rest of the world.”
Footsteps, quickly approaching, “Raegar! …Shae? What happened?”
Lasariel: “I realize the Dwarves are attacking and all, but.. I rather didn’t expect you to be dying as part of the bargain.”

Raegar: “Not sure what happened to Shae, she tried negotiating with the nobles and got a few feet of steel for her trouble.”
Shae Vanderin: “Las?..”
Lasariel: “Wonderful. Yes, its me. Can you walk? I don’t think we should stay here.”

Shae Vanderin: “Ill try.”
Shae Vanderin trys to stand.
Raegar: “I wanted to help the dwarves…”
Lasariel: “Raegar, if you have any clout at all with these darling dwarves, and you don’t want them splattered all across the landscape, I’d get them to consider pulling back.”

Raegar: “How so?”
Lasariel: “This is Tombshade. Capitol of Mishria now that the Ebon Hold is no more. Where do you think the nobles of the Hold went, if they survived?”

Campaign saved.
Lasariel: “Do you remember that great big mountain the stronghold here is built on? The one riddled with catacombs?”

Lasariel: “The nobles aren’t losing, they’re luring them in.”

Raegar: “Yep, the one I theorized was full of undead.”
Raegar: “Oh fun!”
It starts as a breeze… a bitter chill in the air. Quickly it rises up into a wind, eerily whistling through the streets of the city.
Raegar: “…I’ll be right back.”
Raegar: run to find the dwarves
The fighting begins to slack off as both noble guard and dwarf pause, looking about for the source of the sudden chill.
They appear to have established a command post on the lawn of Eisenberg’s manor, actually.
Messengers are running to and fro, and one of the officers and hornblower are standing by.
Campaign saved.
Raegar: find the man in charge
You find him.
Raegar: “They are trying to lure you inside the catacombs.”
Raegar: “Nasty things in there.”
Dagni Grimforge: “The catacombs? The catacombs aren’t ahead of us, they’re.. behind..”

Raegar: “I have it on good authority you are being lured into a trap..”
Raegar: “Perhaps the noble quarter is the trap..”
Dagni Grimforge goes rigid, staring at you wide-eyed, “By the gods, its behind us. And the fortress empty.”
Raegar: “..We should leave.”
The dwarf whirls on the hornman, “Sound the retreat! NOW!”
The horndwarf begins blowing for all he is worth, and the dwarves begin to withdraw. A few more quick-on-the-uptake officers pulling guards and militia along with them.
Campaign saved.
The dwarves begin to withdraw, and both the noble guard and the militia and peasants flee behind them.
Raegar: “Rally!”
Raegar: fack
Raegar: we need the militia
An eerie green, glowing mist begins to engulf the citadel and the mount it is built upon.
Grimforge grabs a nearby dwarf, “Find Jurgen, tell him I recommend we abandon the city. Go!”
Dagni Grimforge: “We’ve never even explored that damn thing, but we all know how big it is. We’re exhausted, and we’re scattered.”

Dagni Grimforge: “If this is a false alarm, it’ll be easy to clean it back up, but I’m not willing to bet the lives of my men on that chance.”

He darts off into the chaos, yelling in dwarven.
In his wake, you see dwarves breaking off and going from house to house, knocking or even breaking the doors in, and herding people out.
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “We have to.. get back to the inn. Get the men out.”
Lasariel: “I was thinking the same thing.”

Lasariel: “Shae, darling, you’re never going to get anywhere like this. Hold on a moment.”

She steps over, and lays a hand over where you were stabbed.
She concentrates, brow wrinkling with the effort, and a black energy seems to flow out of her and in to you. It feels… *wrong
somehow.. but in the wake of it much of the pain and weakness fades.
She sags briefly with the effort, visibly paler.
Shae Vanderin: “Thank you Las. That does feel better. I think I can keep up now.”
Raegar: “Lets run now? Yes?”
Shae Vanderin nods
Shae Vanderin: Head for the bar.
You flee to the bar which name I cannot recall
The glowing green mist has shrouded the entirety of the summit now, and suddenly, the sky is illuminated by a single bolt of lightning that strikes down on the peak.
There is the sound of cracking stone, the sound of which makes you imagine the entire face of the mountain perhaps splitting.
Campaign saved.
You arrive at the bar.
Shae Vanderin: Find the company and address them, “Hear me now! We are leaving at once. The city is no longer safe. Gather your belongings and assemble in formation, you have 2 minutes!”
You find the entire company is already armed and gathered in the common room
Shae Vanderin: “Lets go!”
Shae Vanderin: Find the shortest path to safety.
Its not difficult – the inn isn’t far from the major gate towards Garmol.
Shae Vanderin: Thats where we head!
You exit the city via the north gate.
All around you, men, women and children are being herded out by a combination of guardsmen and the dwarves.
From the towers of the fortress, red fires have illuminated the night sky.
Campaign saved.
A few hundred yards out from the gate, you find the dwarves are beginning to rally and re-organize.
They seem to be collecting the panicked masses together behind them.
People are still streaming from the city.
Shae Vanderin: “Lets help organize and herd these commoners to safety. Try and gather some supplies like water barrels, food, and blankets.”
Selene forces her way through the crowd, “I’m glad I travel with you people – never a dull moment. But when did we decide to re-start the war?”
Raegar: “Didnt decide.”
Shae Vanderin: “Mishira never was defeated. They were just hiding as nobles.”
Raegar: “Well… Lets hope the lich is dead..”
Shae Vanderin: “Las says these nobles are the most powerful and rich of the old Empire.”
Raegar: “still.. re-deaded…?”
Selene: “Of course he is – the king has his skull mounted in the capitol.”
Campaign saved.
Selene: “I saw it once, actually. Not much to look at. You’d think a lich king would be more impressive, but no, its just a skull.”
Lasariel: “Some of them are, certainly.. and they’ve been planning this for some time. I don’t have many details, I didn’t have time to ask – I came to find you when I heard the fighting.”
(she says this in response to Shae)
Shae Vanderin: “I hate to say it, but this turn of events could likely provide work for us. Many of these people will want armed escort to wherever they are going to flee to.”
Raegar: “… How.. Does.. I..”
Raegar: "Right..
Lasariel: “Oh, Raegar, I hope I wasn’t too forward, but I asked a friend to meet me in Ashby.”
Raegar: “What friend..?”
Raegar: “Is it that lady-friend of yours?”
Lasariel: “The one who told me what was going on here.”
Lasariel: “Yes.”
Raegar: “Fine by me.”
Raegar: “She a vampire?”
Lasariel: “She is, but she’ll be no trouble to your people.”
Shae Vanderin: “Im sorry about your lumber contract Raegar.”
Raegar: “So shes a vegetarian vampire?”
She extends one arm, with length of black silk wrapped around the wrist.
GM: with a*
Lasariel: “No.”
Raegar: “Yes, well, it was a joke mostly. Nobody ever gets jokes anymore..”
Raegar: “Not sure why I even try anymore..”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “WELL, this has beena bust.”
Raegar: “No logging contract, no new jobs, no new adoring fans and I didnt even get to plunder the nobles quarter.”
Selene: “I wouldn’t say that. You wanted fame – you’ve got it. Shae wants work – there’ll probably be more of that as well.”
Selene: “And you’ve got friends with the dwarves, after this.”
Raegar: “Well, I did get fame..”
Raegar: “And yes.. Dwarven friends..”
Raegar: “Oh Selene.. I love your takes on situations.”
You begin hearing gunfire from inside the city.
Raegar: “I want to get back inside.”
Raegar: “See if we cant help the dwarves get out.”
The dwarves mostly seem to be out.
Raegar: “Who’s with me?”
Raegar: oh?
Raegar: then what could be shooting.
There is, however, a collection of them working busily at the gate.
And several of those seem to be firing through the gateway.
Raegar: ah
Raegar: go forth and help
A band of dwarves appears to be plugging the gate as best they can. Shambling figures are lurching towards it from inside the city.
You hear activity above in the gatehouse.
Shae Vanderin: “Id like to avoid combat right now unless it is absolutely necessary, Ill stay here and help as I can. Good luck.”
Captain Ironbelt: “Hope you’re not going back in there, mate. Anyone still in at this point is not our problem. We’re just getting ready to drop the portcullis and then blow the works down to keep them from raising it again.”
Campaign saved.
Captain Ironbelt: “We had a good plan, for awhile. Too bad about the crypt. Who’d’ve thought?”
Dwarf: “Who’d’ve thought indeed. Like they planned this whole damn thing!”
Raegar: “Need help?”
Captain Ironbelt: “Not much to be done here, they’re not coming on very fast yet.”
Captain Ironbelt: “I daresay they’ve got a lot of city to cover and I don’t want to know how many people we didn’t get out to kill.”
Captain Ironbelt: “You want to help us, let Garmol know that they’ve got a whole hell of a lot of refugees coming.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “Excellent.”
A voice calls down the stairs, “Get clear! GET CLEAR!”
Raegar: get clear, twice
Two dwarves come running out of the gatehouse like their beards were on fire, followed by the sentries.
The portcullis slams down seconds before an explosion rips through the second story of the gatehouse.
Raegar, you regroup with Shae, Las and Selene.
Shae Vanderin: How far is it to Garmol by foot?
Shae Vanderin: How long that is.
about five days.
faster than the mob, thats for sure.
Raegar: to garmol then
Shae Vanderin: “Maybe we could escort some of the peasants there who want to get there sooner.”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: Ill spread the word that our company is headed to Garmol and that the first 100 people that wish to come with us we will provide escort for 2 silvers per person.“
”color:#000054;“>Shae Vanderin: If we get any takers so be it, if not well just go ourselves.
”color:#000054;“>indeed.
”color:#000054;“>You find yourself about 94 silver richer
”color:#000054;“>and being accompanied by about 80 people.
”color:#000054;“>Shae Vanderin: Secure food/water and head out.
”color:#000054;“>You march.
”color:#000054;“>to be noted..
”color:#660066;“>Campaign saved.
”color:#000054;“>party PCs and NPCs, and the 30 mercs..
”color:#000054;“>are the only ones with supplies.
”color:#000054;“>The dwarves have none for themselves, much less to share.
”color:#000054;">Shae Vanderin: “Ill share what I can. We may need to do some hunting.”
Raegar: “Thats where I come in..”
Raegar: “Isn’t it..”
Selene: “I’m sure we’ll manage..”
Oddly enough, on day 3 in the forest..
When you set up camp…
Raegar, you and Selene being the trackers, are on point – in case any game of opportunity should present itself.
And you see… a truly… peculiar.. thing..
A little arrow, made of sticks lashed together, hanging from a tree and pointing into the woods.
Raegar: “…Thats odd.”
Raegar: “…I think this is help from a friend of mine.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “Lets check it out.”
Selene: “Sure… should we get Shae? Its about time to camp anyway, have the column start setting up.”
Raegar: “I think so, yes.”
Shae Vanderin: “What did you see?”
Raegar: “Remember our spider friend, the one you didnt trust?”
Shae Vanderin: “Roselyn?”
Raegar: “IM betting she may be trying to help us.”
Raegar: “Mmm hmmm.. Roselyn.”
Raegar: “Found a peculiar sign in the woods.”
Raegar: “Care to come check it out with us?”
Shae Vanderin: “Well she has proven herself a friend so far.”
Shae Vanderin: “Ok lets go.”
The sign points down what appears to be a game trail.
You notice odd tracks poked into it now, like holes.
And about a hundred yards in…
Campaign saved.
You are greeted by a sight that is either terrifying or comical.
Possibly both.
Half a dozen deer, hanging upside down from trees, still alive and thrashing.
Shae Vanderin: “Its like she knew..”
Selene: “We’re not exactly subtle.”
Shae Vanderin: “Well its going to be greatly appreciated by the dwarves and refugees.”
Raegar: i have a feeling its also in part because the DM didnt want us hinting to feed this many people
Raegar: hunting*
Raegar: =P
Raegar: “Well… Lets bring these things along then.”
Shae Vanderin: Gather up the deer, slaughter them as painlessly as possible and lug them back to the group.“
”color:#660066;“>Campaign saved.
”color:#000054;“>To be honest, Raegar..
”color:#000054;“>Its 3 days in.. you’ve already been doing it.
”color:#000054;“>The rest of the journey is uneventful, though.
”color:#000054;“>It seems even for her, the effort to hunt that much deer means it isn’t something to be repeated frequently.
”color:#000054;“>You arrive at Garmol with some confusion.
”color:#000054;“>mostly on the part of the locals.
”color:#000054;“>The people you were escorting disperse as you enter the city, having mostly been the ones with family or friends in the city to rely on.
”color:#000054;">Shae Vanderin: “I am going to rest here in Garmol before heading back to Ashby.”
Shae Vanderin: “Ill catch up with you all if you plan on heading there now.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: Hmm
Raegar: how the heck did she know is another thing
Raegar: head to the military governors place
You do so!
Shae Vanderin: Im headed to the inn we normally stay at to rest, bathe, and recover.
You retire to the Drunken Meryak!
And you may do so.
Raegar: so
Raegar: how does the secretary react this time
He looks up long enough to see its you, then waves you past.
Campaign saved.
Raegar: go forth
Raegar: and enter the familiar office
You do so.
Raegar: “Hello Commander.”
She is sitting at her desk, closing a spellbook as you enter.
You notice a new medallion hanging from her neck from the last time you saw her.
Semara: “Good afternoon – and its general, actually. But please don’t start with the titles, I get it enough already.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “I always thought Commander was a catch-all that denoted the commanding officer, rather than a rank.”
Raegar: “You were promoted?”
Raegar: “Congratulations are in order.”
Semara: “No, they’re not – its more paperwork, and I’m not even officially in the military, but they had a problem, so here I got sent.”
Semara: “The question is, is this a social call, or do you have word of another new problem?”
Raegar: “New problem.”
Raegar: “Tombshade is gone.”
Raegar: “It seems the events here were connected in some way with Tombshade.”
Raegar: “Shortly after arriving in the city, we discovered that the nobles were in fact Vampires.”
Raegar: “When confronted, they sprung their trap.”
Raegar: “The Catacombs in that city were far from empty.”
Raegar: “They unleashed torents of undead fiends and took the city.”
Raegar: “There are a lot of refugees coming your way.”
Campaign saved.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): lol
Nick (Shae Vanderin): you are always the harbinger of such good news :P
Raegar: we’z all ganna die
She is… apparently.. speechless.
Semara: “Raegar, I have to be perfectly honest with you.”
Semara: “Before you came to Garmol, this was a boring post. You did help me with the noble problem!”
Semara: “But I’m beginning to think you are cursed.”
Raegar: “Imagin if I didn’t warn you.”
Raegar: “..I could stop warning you if you want.”
Raegar: “I dont think that’ll make the problems any less .. … problematic.”
Semara: “No, no, its fine, I appreciate it.”
Campaign saved.
Semara: “We can handle some of the refugees, but I doubt we can host all of them. Has Ashby suffered any undead attacks? If not, we may need to send some of them there.”
Raegar: “Just.. Send them all there..”
Raegar: “I’m going to end up with a city on my hands arent I..”
Raegar: “Things used to be so simple for me..”
Raegar: “Run from twisted mother, try not to get killed..”
Raegar: “Now I have to worry about grain yields and complex geo-military politics that dont concern me..”
Semara: “Yes, well, I spent a good portion of my carefree youth adventuring, until the war started – believe me, I’m not particularly thrilled by the changes either.”
Semara: “How far behind you are these refugees?”
Raegar: “Well, we were faster, can’t possibly be that much farther than us. I imagin a day or two behind us.”
Raegar: “I really dont expect them to come all at once. I suppose they will stream in.”
Campaign saved.
Semara: “Wonderful. I long for the day I can retire and go back to crawling through tombs. In the meantime, it appears I have work to do.”
Raegar: “…Dont you find that rather twisted, when that is the retirement we can look forward to?”
Raegar: “I’ll live off of Ashby someday..”
Raegar: “Maybe we can move on from mudhuts to stone buildings with a bigger workforce..”
Semara: “With a bit of luck, yes. Maybe start with wood?”
Raegar: “indeed..”
Semara: “I’ll see what I can do.. you’re in the same boat we are – nothing to sell. I wonder if anyone’s giving out building materials for charity..”
Nick (Shae Vanderin): was the wages of the men in the company 2sp per day or per week?
Kiergath: day.
Semara: “Actually, Raegar, you know, there are a lot of old Mishrian tombs around… all of them very carefully built – fitted stone and everything..”
Semara: “Just a thought.”
Raegar: “…Thats an idea.”
Raegar: “I’ll get right on it.”
Campaign saved.
She busies herself in her drawers – the universal symbol of “interview over, I’m busy”
… desk drawers, that is.
Raegar: “Another thing.”
Semara: “…Yes?”
Raegar: “Did you have a chance to take a look at the spider-humanoid I reported to you, in the woods.”
Raegar: “it helped us again as we travelled back to Garmol..”
Raegar: “I have no bleeding idea how it would have known we needed the help.”
Semara: “Ah, yes, I did investigate actually. By which I mean, ‘I had a rather lovely chat and tea’ – my tea, I don’t think she has any – and she seemed quite friendly.”
Semara: “Raegar, I have no idea. She’s a spider, she roams the woods, maybe she was in the area.”
Semara: “Maybe there are others. Maybe she heard it through the normal-sized-spider-grapevine. I really don’t know.”
Raegar: “Its odd..”
Raegar: “anyways, things to do.”
Semara: “I’m personally hoping it was the first or the third, rather than the second.”
Semara: “One is fine, more is not.”
Raegar: “good luck.”
Semara: “Yes, quite.”
Raegar: go forth
Raegar: to ashby
You do so!
Campaign saved.
Straight to, or are you waiting the night in Garmol before heading out?
Raegar: straight
Mmmk.
You arrive late at night.
There is now an earthen rampart around the entirety of the “old” Ashby – unfortunately, that only contains about 50 people at this point and is good for little but an administrative center.
The tent city around it is not really active at this time of night.
You are greeted by sentries.
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “Hi.”
Raegar: “I’ll be in my home.”
YOU RETIRE.
Raegar: go to bed
you couldn’t have just said “I go to ashby and sleep”?
Raegar: … i could have
Raegar: but we wouldve missed out on all this banter
MORNING DAWNS
Raegar: asseeeemble a possee
o.0
Posse assembled!
Raegar: time to scout out tombs
Raegar: spend the day finding them
Raegar: and noting their location on maps
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: I could probably help with that if you wait for me to get back to Ashby.
Shae Vanderin: Thats where Im headed after breakfast.
Raegar: I wait for Shae
SHAE RETURNS
Shae Vanderin: Rally the company for those that stayed in Garmol and head back to Ashby.
Shae Vanderin: “You want to scout out tombs?”
Shae Vanderin: “For treasure or?”
Raegar: “Well, I have a few reasons.”
Shae Vanderin: “I could probably point us in the direction of a few according to the area maps I studied before comming here.”
Raegar: “For one, I want to make sure they are empty, second, treasure, third… I want to dismantled them and use the stone.”
Raegar: dismantle*
Shae Vanderin nods
Shae Vanderin: “All good reasons.”
Shae Vanderin: “Do we have a map of the area?”
Shae Vanderin: “Ive been meaning to purchase one.”
Someone has a map.
Shae Vanderin: Borrow it, lay it out and try to find some possible tomb locations. Let me know how many checks you want.
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: Also did I get any health back from resting a full night?
yeah, you did
Shae Vanderin: Skill [Knowledge (Geography)]
[1d20+4 = 6]
Nick (Shae Vanderin): sigh cant roll today
Shae Vanderin: “Ill go with you to scout, the only ones I know of weve already scouted.”
Actually incorrect.
Several of them are marked plainly on the map.
One of them is the one you searched before and found the drow in.
It is also the closest.
There are two others – one northwest, one north.
Raegar: before leaving
Raegar: tell the foreman to prepare work details
Raegar: to excatate stone
Raegar: point him to the one we already cleared
Mmmk
Raegar: return to ash by if they find anything unusual
Raegar: tell him we’ve already goen through it
Raegar: then head to the one north
Campaign saved.
Going are.. Shae.. Raegar…
Shae Vanderin: “Raegar theres also the matter of paying the men for the next 2 weeks. It comes to 90 gold. I covered it last time and at the moment am short on funds. I realize I owe you for your share of the silver we got from the refugee escort.”
Raegar: Lasariel, William
Mmmmk
Raegar: “So, you want me to pay the next two weeks?”
Shae Vanderin: “I figure we will trade off so it doesnt burden us all each time.”
Raegar: “Of course, you assume its my burden to bear.”
Shae Vanderin: “Ilph can take the next 2 after this, assuming she made it out of Tombshade.”
Raegar: “I don’t see te use of having those men around with no work to give them.”
Shae Vanderin: “Agreed but we havent given it enough time yet. If nothing comes of it in 4 more weeks we will disband.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar sigh..
Raegar: “Fine.”
Lasariel: “So why not put them to work?”
Lasariel: “If it were me, I’d want some guards at that lumber mill of yours – now especially…”
Raegar: “Thats true.”
Lasariel: “Also, that ward doesn’t cover the crypts.. you’ll want to guard your stonecutting operations.”
Shae Vanderin: “I had thought of that before but we were headed to Tombshade.”
Raegar: “Theyll spend my two weeks guarding the lumbermill.”
Raegar: “And the stonecutters..”
Raegar: “..Tell you what, ill pay them for a month.”
Raegar: “that’ll give us plenty of time to find real work for them.”
We live in a fictional world, and we go by the Daltrithaar lunar calendar™. All months are 28 days long.
So four weeks.
Shae Vanderin: “If we are going to go with the whoever pays them directs them model then 2 weeks each is fine.”
Lasariel: “I think he’s actually offering to hire them for a month.”
Raegar: “so… Let me get this straight Shae..”
Raegar: “you are worried about not having money…”
Raegar: “I offer to pay them for a month..”
Raegar: “And you object to me ordering them around ?”
Shae Vanderin: “Well if I may be blunt.”
Shae Vanderin: “Them working for you doesnt make me any money.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “…”
Shae Vanderin: “Granted it didnt in the last 2 weeks.”
Raegar: “…Pay them yourself then. See if you come out ahead. I’ll have my city guards guard my operations.”
Shae Vanderin: “But I attribute that to bad luck and the times present.”
Shae Vanderin: “No what Im saying is that they may as well work for you now. Its just that if work comes up after a time we may want to use them for that as well.”
Raegar: “Ah, I see.”
Raegar: “So, you want them free’d if we find something fancier.”
Shae Vanderin: “Something profitable.”
Lasariel: “Oh, Raegar, my friend would like to meet you when we get back to Ashby.”
Lasariel: “I believe she had some business to discuss.”
Raegar: “Very good then.”
Raegar: “It’ll be my pleasure Lasariel.”
Lasariel: “Since her home is currently, ah… under occupation.”
Raegar: “I just want to settle the issue of building material once and for all.”
Lasariel: “I think she’s looking for a new headquarters – she was in the arms trade, you see.”
Campaign saved.
You see a large earthen mound ahead!
Raegar: find the entrance
It is blocked by a mighty stone slab.
Shae Vanderin: Ill assemble the company into 2 divisions, one for the mill the other for excavations. 1 seargant in each division.
Raegar: at our numbers
Raegar: itd be squads
YOU DO SO
You are faced by a mighty stone slab.
it is a glorious slab, a stonely slab
Campaign saved.
GM:
[1d20 = 11]
GM:
[1d20 = 9]
GM:
[1d20 = 19]
A stonely slab that COMES CRASHING DOWN
Oh god initiatives!
Shae Vanderin: Initiative [1d20+5 = 10]
Raegar: Initiative [1d20+5 = 11]
Shae Vanderin: add 4 to Raegars
Raegar: ..undead?
Raegar: yayayaya
Raegar: If we fightin’ undead
Shae Vanderin: and 4 from my aura
favored enemy doesn’t affect initiative
They are, however, undead.
Raegar: i know
Raegar: itll affect hits thought
Raegar: im preparin’
A pack of gaunt, dessicated corpses comes pouring out of the tomb, clad in armor and wielding weapons
The sickeningly sweet scent of mishrian preservatives fills the air.
GM: [3d20 = 21]
Shae Vanderin: How many?
Three, at this point in time.
One attacks Shae, one Raegar, one William.. and they all.. miss.
Raegar
Raegar: attack the closest one
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+8 = 27]
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [CRITICAL THREAT]
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [CONFIRM] [1d20+8 = 27]
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 19]
that would be the one who just tried to cut you off at the neck.
Campaign saved.
Two hits. No crit.
Raegar: no crit?
Shae Vanderin: cant crit undead
Raegar: oooh
Raegar: gotcha
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Damage) [1d6+4 = 7]
Raegar: Longswords (Damage) [1d8+4 = 12]
Raegar: add two
Raegar drops his!
GM: [1d20 = 1]
William narrowly avoids nailing his own boot to the earth in his panic!
Shae Vanderin
Shae Vanderin: Combat Expertise 4 AC
Shae Vanderin: Greatsword (Attack 1) +6 [1d202 = 12]
Raegar: “Calm down William.”
No hit.
GM: [1d20 = 4]
A bolt of crackling purple energy flies past Shae and misses her undead.
GM: [2d20 = 25]
Both remaining undead miss…?
Three more come barreling out of the tomb!
GM: [3d20 = 33]
And prove that the DM can’t roll to save his life.
Raegar
There are now two on Shae, two on William, one on Raegar.
Lasariel is so far making herself small and, also, being behind you all.
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 26]
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+8 = 14]
Short hits.
Raegar: attackin’ one
Raegar: does a 1 sword also do +1 damage?
yes.
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Damage) [1d67 = 11]
Raegar once again has none on him.
GM: [1d20 = 5]
William may be an inspiring leader, but undead apparently spare the bejeezus out of him.
Shae Vanderin
Campaign saved.
Raegar: just keep throwing undead at me..
Shae Vanderin: Greatsword (Attack 1) 6 [1d203 = 8]
Raegar: undead are fine..
Raegar: i can kill the undead..
Good thing someone can.
Shae Vanderin: Combat Exp 3 AC
GM: [1d20 = 14]
GM: [3d4 = 9]
Shae! Another bolt of crackling purple energy whizzes past your head, striking one of the undead. It shrieks in unholy, soul-wrenching agony before collapsing to the ground.
GM: [1d20 = 8]
Shae is missed.
GM: [2d20 = 23]
GM: [1d81 = 8]
William is smitten!
Raegar
Raegar: attack the closest one
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 12]
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+8 = 14]
You flank one of the ones on William, and hit with your longsword.
Raegar: Longswords (Damage) [1d8+6 = 7]
It lives.
GM: [1d20 = 10]
…William continues flailing blindly, his eyes are apparently closed.
Shae Vanderin
Shae Vanderin: Defensive slash at the ribcage of the thing.
Shae Vanderin: Greatsword (Attack 1) 6 [1d203 = 15]
A HIT!
Shae Vanderin: Greatsword (Damage) [2d6+3 = 11]
it falls!
GM: [1d20 = 19]
GM: [3d4 = 6]
Another bolt hits the one Raegar hit, striking it down!
GM: [1d20 = 9]
GM: [1d20 = 17]
GM: [1d8+1 = 6]
William is hit again!
Raegar
One left on Will, one on Shae!
…wait
Nick (Shae Vanderin): sweet delicious combat how I have missed thee.
one on Will, none on Shae
Campaign saved.
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 23]
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+8 = 28]
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [CRITICAL THREAT]
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [CONFIRM] [1d20+8 = 12]
ITS DEAD!
Shae Vanderin: “Well it seems as if undead in these tombs are still in no short supply.:
”color:#005500;“>Kiergath: I know, right?

”color:#000054;">Raegar: “They sound funny when you cut ’em apart.”

Raegar: “dont they William?”
Shae Vanderin: Search them, anything of use?
William is struggling to stay standing. Also, he vomits.
Six longswords, six chain hauberks. Oddly enough these are all still in serviceable condition.
Shae Vanderin: Collect them in a pile.
Shae Vanderin: “William are you ok?”
William: “Gods, the smell.. and.. I.. I’ve never seen such a creature..”

William: “Not up close, I mean..”

Raegar: “Use your bow then. I should show you how to track them sometime..”
Raegar: “Familiarity with your foe is helpful..”
Raegar: Go deeper inside
You enter the mound!
Inside is a circular room.
Shae Vanderin: Is it lit or dark?
Dark as pitch.
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: Let Raegar go first then ill follow with a lantern some 25 paces back.
DM whoopsie. Raegar brought Las.
Therefore
Spot is here too.
Spot: woof.

Shae Vanderin: what?
Lasariel’s undead dog.
The one she charmed in the first tomb.
Shae Vanderin: Ah ok.
There isn’t much in this room, honestly – six alcoves.
You tramp down the stairs, wishing Hoxton were here to lead.
For Hoxton laughs at traps.
At the foot of the stairs is a square room, about 20×20, for that is the traditional size of a square room.
Nick has played D&D a long time; he knows it is so.
Shae Vanderin: Any doors in this room or is it empty.
You see three exits, one in the center of each wall.
Raegar: I can spot traps i think
The fourth wall has only stairs leading out.
IS IT EMPTY, HE ASKS
yes. Yes it is.
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: Maybe there might be a pile of gold in the center? :P
A CHEST
A LONE CHEST
Raegar: nope.. cant do shit for traps cept disarm them if i see ‘em
in the middle of the room.
Raegar: or stuff…
but no, its empty.
Raegar – you can use Search to find traps – but only a rogue (or someone else with Trapfinding) can spot traps higher than DC 20.
iirc.
THREE DOORWAYS
Raegar, you can see each leads to a hallway.
Raegar: hmmm
Raegar: smell the air
Raegar: does one smell less bad
it smells of DEATH and HERBS.
Raegar: “I have no memory of this place..”
Lasariel accidentally knocks a bucket down a well!
Shae Vanderin: drums…
We cannot get out.
Raegar: …
Shae Vanderin: “Are you good at sneaking Raegar? We can wait here and guard the exit if you feel like scouting ahead a bit.”
Raegar: They are coming
Lasariel: “Do we really want to split up somewhere like this?”

Raegar: “Sneaking you say?”
Raegar: “Wait here!”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: Scout out ahead
Raegar: full hide!!
Shae Vanderin: “I mean hallway to hallway Las.”
Shae Vanderin: “As in Raegar scouts then comes back and gets us, then we follow then he scouts some more, etcetera.”
Raegar, you take fully five steps before you realize you’re about to step on a sarcophagus set into the floor.
Raegar: anything beyond that?
The name reads, “Demok the Derisive”
The hall continues.
You see another sarcophagus a few feet after this one ends.
You expect beyond is another.
Raegar: back up
Shae Vanderin: “Well, we are here to clean out the tombs, should we open them?”
Lasariel: “Maybe if we knock, they’ll do it for us?”

William: “I don’t much care for this tomb diving stuff.”

Lasariel: “Oh, grow up you big baby.”

Raegar: “I think maybe… Vampires..”
Lasariel: “In a crypt? They seem rather more urban than that, here.”

Raegar: “well, in any case, sarcophagi.”
Lasariel: “I bet the lids are made of stone.”

Raegar: “Idea?”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “Pry it open. Take the lid since its what we are here for.”
Lasariel gives a bored little sigh, gesturing to Spot.
The undead dog trots off to the sarcophagus and … you didn’t think an undead dog could do that.
There is a sudden grating sound as the lid begins to heave up, sending the dog scampering back to hide behind Las.
Shae Vanderin: Set down the lantern.
A vile form hauls itself up out of the sarcophagus.
Fully eight feet tall, when it was still alive and not dessicated it must have been built like a professional wrestler.
Then you notice that head has the features of a bull.
that the*
Shae Vanderin: Oooo
It swings aloft a morning star.
Shae Vanderin: Initiative
[1d20+5 = 15]
GM:
[1d20 = 13]
GM:
[1d20 = 14]
GM: [1d20 = 5]
Raegar: Initiative [1d20+5 = 19]
Raegar
Raegar: i never remember which damn mini has init in it
Raegar: so right now, its in the hallway ight?
Campaign saved.
Raegar: right*
YES.
Raegar: How far from us?
…about 20 feet.
Raegar: attack
Raegar: i want to chop its head off
sure.
Raegar: wait that doesnt do anything..
Raegar: on undead..
And I want a tree that grows diamonds.
Raegar: I want to chop its arm off.
BRING IT, INSIGNIFICANT MORTAL
Shae Vanderin: How wide is the hallway?

GM: [2d4 = 7]
15 feet.
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 14]
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+8 = 13]
Raegar, you hit twice.
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Damage) [1d6+7 = 13]
Raegar: Longswords (Damage) [1d8+6 = 9]
Shae Vanderin
Raegar, your second blow does not bite as deep as it should have.
Shae Vanderin: Move forward and attack the things left leg.
Shae Vanderin: 3 AC (from now on thats what im doing unless I say otherwise)
GIVE ME YOUR BEST SHOT, WEAKLING
Shae Vanderin: Greatsword (Attack 1) +6 [1d203 = 11]
Unfortunately, while his AC sucks, it isn’t quite that low.
Campaign saved.
The bull heaves its morningstar back before lashing out at Raegar.
GM: [1d20 = 9]
Being the udder disgrace he is, it goes slamming into the crypt wall, doing damage to Raegar’s future building material.
GM: [1d20 = 15]
GM: [1d8 = 5]
Raegar: “OI THIS THING IS MAD.”
William shoots it!
GM: [3d4+3 = 8]
Raegar
Lasariel peppers it with glowing green darts.
Shae Vanderin: Does this thing have a reach of 5 or 10?
That is beyond the scope of my know—wait, I’m the DM.
Shae Vanderin: might matter for my action
five.
Shae Vanderin: k
Raegar: THESE THINGS CANNOT BE DIVINED BY THE ORACLE. OUTLOOK HAZY, TRY AGAIN LATER.
stop prophesizing and attack.
Raegar: does this thing have eyes?
once upon a time.
Raegar: or is it just cavernous holes
now it has sockets.
Raegar: okay
Raegar: so theres no way of weakening it other than killing it dead..
if it had glowy eyes, you’d be fucked.
and this would be hurting a lot more right now.
:P
have you ever noticed that the eyes are a distinct sign of undead hierarchy?
Campaign saved.
Raegar: indeed..
Raegar: of course thats just a matter of value judgement deduced from frequency
if you don’t attack I am skipping your turn
Raegar: if every zombie and skeleton had red glowing eyes but we met one without
Raegar: …me?
Raegar: its my turn
.
.
.
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 24]
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+8 = 16]
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Damage) [1d6+7 = 8]
yes, x2
Raegar: Longswords (Damage) [1d8+6 = 7]
Shae Vanderin
Shae Vanderin: Does the thing look about to go down?
no
Shae Vanderin: Ready an action then if the thing attacks Raegar Ill grant him a move action to take a 5 foot step back out of reach so it will have to attack me.
mm…k.
RAEGAR, YOU HAVE A MOVE ACTION.
Shae Vanderin: I think my AC is better then Raegars, not sure.
Shae Vanderin: Spell [Grant Immediate Move Action] > One Ally can take a move action immediately
not that you actually have any way to know why you have this move action.
Raegar: so..
Raegar: I can.. move?
Shae Vanderin: “Jump back Raegar!”
Raegar: i jump back.
indeed?
Shae, attack of opportunity.
the beasty pursues.
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: Greatsword (Attack 1) 6 [1d203 = 4]
Shae Vanderin: Greatsword (Attack 1) 6 [AUTOMATIC MISS]
Raegar!
A wise old cow once told me, “mess with the bull, and you get the horns”
GM: [1d20 = 1]
Unfortunately, when the beasty makes its ferocious, blood-curdling charge..
it forgot where it was going.
And rams a wall, horns-first.
GM: [1d20 = 4]
William misses.
GM: [3d43 = 7]
Raegar
I hate 1s
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+8 = 25]
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 22]
Yep
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Damage) [1d6+7 = 13]
Raegar: Longswords (Damage) [1d8+6 = 8]
….Still picking itself up from its failed attempt to gore a stone wall, Raegar cuts it down!
Raegar: “That.. Lets not do that often.”
Raegar: mmkay
Shae Vanderin nods then retreives her lantern and searches the crypt where the bull zombie came from.
Raegar: next sarcophagi
You have… a morning star.
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: Add it to the pile.
Lasariel cuts off its horns.
Raegar: “May I have the morning star?”
Raegar: Those are one handed right?
For him, yeah. For you, this one isn’t, no.
Raegar: ah
Raegar: nm then
Raegar: “Never mind.”
You tap the next sarcophagus.
“Atzel the Amoral”
Raegar: pry it open with the morning star
Its not hard, since when you first clang it with the weapon, it gets to open.
it begins to*
Raegar: as soon as possible
Raegar: as in.. before its entirely open..
Raegar: Start stabbing whatever is inside.
I’ll give you one round.
Roll it.
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 17]
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+8 = 25]
Raegar: Longswords (Damage) [1d8+6 = 10]
Yep.
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Damage) [1d6+7 = 12]
Your swords hit stone!
Clang! Clang!
Raegar: so, look inside.
Your sword hits stone because the creature inside is far, far smaller than the size of the sarcophagus indicates.
GM: [1d20 = 10]
Shae!
All you see is a blur as a small creature leaps from the sarcophagus.
Raegar, you see a blur as well, but thats because the creature has wrapped itself around your head.
Shae Vanderin: A spider?
GM: [1d20 = 13]
Nay!
A gnome
GM: [1d4+2 = 5]
Raegar: …the amoral.
Campaign saved.
Raegar, as it latches on your face, it begins pummeling the back of your head with one tiny fist.
Also, the hip thrusts are kind’ve disconcerting, given the position of its groin.
Raegar: Rip it the faaaaack offf
Shae Vanderin
Shae Vanderin: Did he rip it off?
no
Shae Vanderin: Delay till after Raegar.
WILLIAM SHOOTS
…just kidding.
Raegar
Raegar: could i, in theory, hit it with swords
….sure!
Raegar: i missed it with pretty solid rolls…
to be fair, thats because it wasn’t where you expected it
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 12]
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+8 = 21]
hey neat, damage on the longsword!
Raegar: Longswords (Damage) [1d8+6 = 10]
sweet
That hurt!
And I don’t just mean the gnome.
Raegar: “GET IF OFFA ME”
Raegar: “ITS TRYING TO MATE.”
Shae Vanderin
Shae Vanderin: Drop my sword run up and rip it off of Raegar.
Kiergath: “Wrong hole! Wrong hole!”
Shae Vanderin: Melee attack [1d20+6 = 15]
That’ll work, for a touch attack.
Raegar: “STRANGER DANGER, STRANGEEEER DANGEEEER
Can I have a strench check?
GM: [1d20 = 15]
Shae Vanderin: Strength check [1d20+3 = 18]
You rip it off!
Its empty hands clutch longingly at the air.
Campaign saved.
GM: [1d20 = 5]
Shae.. str check
Raegar: Does it look dangerous?
Shae Vanderin: Strength check [1d20+3 = 18]
Raegar: or is it just comical.
It fails to break free.
Raegar: cuz im considering whether or not im keeping it or not..
Uh… its wrestling with Shae at the moment, and gnashing very sharp teeth.
Raegar: it dies.
Also, it did try to give you a concussion earlier.
GM: [1d20 = 7]
William shoots at it! and misses.
Lasariel… refrains from attacking it, for fear of hitting Shae.
Raegar
Raegar: …how heavy does it look
Raegar: ugh is it attackable?
Raegar: its wrestling with shae..
Raegar: so..
Raegar: What are the rules for grabing its legs
Raegar: and swinging it into a wall
Raegar: or just thrashing it on the ground until it stops moving
Raegar: its small.. it cant be that heavy..
uh… that would require Shae to let go.
And its probably about 30 or 40 pounds, like a gnome.
Raegar: so its doable.
Deff.
Campaign saved.
Raegar: Lets do that
Raegar: “Let it go Shae!”
Attack roll, str check.
Raegar: Grab leg, slam it into the wall till it stops moving.
Shae Vanderin: Drop it.
Raegar: okay
Raegar: so..
Raegar: full attack..
Raegar: itd be..
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 24]
Raegar: pretty much same thing
…minus the fact that one of those is from it being a 1 weapon
but yes.
Str check.
Raegar: no.. a full attack on undead..
GM: [1d20 = 8]
Raegar: for me would be +10.
ah.
Raegar: 9 is from dual wielding
Raegar: +1
fine, fine. Str check?
Raegar: Strength check [1d204 = 14]
Righto!
call it 1d6+str
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Damage) [1d6+4 = 6]
You grip the little undead gnome by its little legs, and as you slam it into the wall it lets out an ear splitting screech of "MAAAAHHHHHHHRREEEEEEEEEEEEN-(THUNK)“
”color:#000054;“>Shae Vanderin

”color:#000054;“>Shae Vanderin: lol

”color:#000054;">Raegar: “Kill it with yer sword”

Shae Vanderin: Draw a javelin as a move action. Throw it at the thing as an attack.
Shae Vanderin: Javelin (Attack 1) [1d20+6 = 8]
GM: [1d20 = 1]
….
Righto.
Campaign saved.
You pulp it against the wall.
Raegar: slice its head off when it stops moving.
Lasariel: “Must have been someone’s pet..”

Raegar: i dont want that thing coming back
Shae Vanderin: “What a horrible little thing.”
Raegar: “Im going to have nightmares.. Oh the thrusting.. The.. horrible.. Horrible thrusting..”
You hear another lid clatter to the floor.
Raegar: check if it had anything on
Raegar: craaap
Unfortunately Raegar.. no.. it did not.
Anything.
Shae Vanderin: “One more to go it seems.”
Indeed, and whatever it is is already stomping towards you.
Shae Vanderin: Initiative
[1d20+5 = 9]
Lasariel: [1d20 = 11]
Lasariel: [1d20 = 18]
Lasariel: [1d20 = 19]
Raegar: Initiative [1d20+5 = 22]
Nick (Shae Vanderin): by the way dont forget to take the 2 damage off Raegar from my aura.
Raegar: -2 per attack or?
no, 1 per.
Raegar: im confused
Raegar: ok
And you got hit twice.
Campaign saved.
Once by the gnome, once by yourself.
Raegar: yes i know
GM: or is it two per now? I don’t know..
Raegar
Raegar!
Nick (Shae Vanderin): not till level 7
Raegar: what is it
Shuffling towards you is two its!
Raegar: oh, good.
But its hard to see It number two, because its behind It number 1.
The first is advancing at a shuffle behind a large shield.
The second is primarily visible because of the spear its poking out past its friend.
Raegar: oh, Ive got just the thing for this.
Raegar: but do I want to use it now…
Raegar: charging headlong would be foolish..
Raegar: we are still in the hallway right?
Yep
Raegar: yea.. not gonna happen..
Raegar: and i cant sunder..
Shae Vanderin: We will have to flank it.
Raegar: how
Raegar: its a hallway
15 feet wide, as I said before
They’re in the middle aisle, as it were.
Raegar: so we could flank it.
Shae Vanderin: back up into the square room and hit it as it comes in
Or that.
Raegar: thats my plan..
Raegar: back up
Shae Vanderin: one on either side of the entrance.
Raegar bails!
Raegar: run back to the square room
Lasariel flees!
William is still IN the square room.
Shae Vanderin
Shae Vanderin: Fall back to the square room opposite side of Raegar.
Campaign saved.
Mmk.
And you’re then going to wait for it to enter?
Raegar: im going to try something
Shae Vanderin: Yes. Probably best if Las and William stand behind us also so they dont get attacked.
Shae Vanderin: I will convey that to them.
Las is actually standing across the room opposite the doorway.
Raegar: is it still coming towards us?
Yep
It’ll be at the door next round.
Raegar: try to disarm it with my grappling hook.
Shae Vanderin: “Watch it Las, we are going to try to hit it from the side, its gonna have a clear path to you there.”
Raegar: try to hook the shield
Raegar: if it works…
Raegar: then..
Lasariel: “Sure it will, if it decides to run past you.”

Raegar: cool..
Raegar: if it doesnt..
Uh.. attack roll.
Raegar: the heck do you want me to use lol
…ranged attack.
main page mini sheet.
two under initiative.
Raegar: Longbow (Attack 1)
[1d20+11 = 15]
yeah. no.
Raegar: darn.. that wouldve been cool…
Very.
It gets to the doorway.
Raegar: side of the door and wait it out..
It stays on its side of the doorway.
The one with the shield begins clanging its weapon on the back of its shield.
Shae Vanderin: “Smarter than it looks.”
Shae Vanderin: What is the shield made of?
Lasariel: “Its actually not hard to make them smart..”

Raegar: “Ive got a waterskin of consecrated water.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “I was keeping it for an emergency.”
The face of it looks to be metal.
Raegar: so its a golem too
…huh?
the shield.
Raegar: or not
Raegar: ooh
Raegar: lol
YES DAVE, ITS A TERMINATOR
Shae Vanderin: Heavy steel? Nearly impossible to sunder.
Tramp tramp tramp go the feet.
Raegar: okay.
They begin backing up.
Shae Vanderin: Going to pull out a flask of my oil and throw it at the thing.
Raegar: great idea
Shae Vanderin: Ranged attack
[1d20+4 = 24]
Shae Vanderin: Ranged attack [CRITICAL THREAT]
Shae Vanderin: Ranged attack [CONFIRM] [1d20+4 = 19]
Raegar: SUPERB time to do that
Mmmk. You have hit it with a flask of oil.
Raegar: Light one of my arrows on fire with the lantern.
Shae Vanderin: “Las! Do you have any fire spells? Its oiled.”
I believe I’m after Shae in the initiative order, actually.
Shae Vanderin: Or what Raegar is doing.
And since none of this was planned out in-character until after Shae did it..
Raegar: …i never went lol
Raegar: for this turn
Nobody was doing anything, I dropped the round order.
Raegar: ah
Shae took an action, I picked up at Shae in the order.
Raegar: kay
They back up and the tower shield falls forward with a clang.
Campaign saved.
Raegar
Raegar, now that the tower shield is no longer blocking your view through the doorway
You see the first pair of skeletons falling back behind two more shieldbearers which are now falling back down the corridor, away from you.
There is a tower shield laying face-down infront of you.
Raegar: how the heck we gonna do this..
Raegar: shoot an arrow.
Raegar: at.. the closest one..
Shae Vanderin: Get the tower shield, we will do what they do.
Raegar: Longbow (Attack 1) [1d20+11 = 24]
Lasariel: [2d100 = 7]
Arrow goes thunk into the shield.
Lasariel: “You know, they may be smart, but I’m betting they’re still just skeletons.”

Lasariel: “Its easier to make them smarter than to make them more powerful.”

Shae Vanderin: Ill grab the shield then try and Overrun them. When they turn you can hit them.
Raegar: mmmk
Raegar: so we are chargin
There are now two shields facing you, three spearpoints, and you think that leaves one skeleton unaccounted for.
They’re still backing down the corridor.
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: On my turn Im going to move forward and grab the tower shield sheathing my sword. Then going to run after them and as soon as I have room overrun.
Mmmk.
Moving Shae to the top of the round.
Shae Vanderin: I dont have improved so they get an aoo on me.
Shae Vanderin
Shae Vanderin: They have the option of letting me by or blocking.
Shae Vanderin: If they block its a contested roll.
Shae Vanderin: Strength check
[1d20+3 = 4]
Shae Vanderin: lol
Shae Vanderin: ok
Shae Vanderin: well they could fail they are just skeletons.
GM:
[1d20 = 14]
GM: [1d20 = 6]
You don’t make it past the shields.
Shae Vanderin: they get their attacks of opprotunity and then Im going to try again.
Raegar
Raegar! Shae is currently butted up against their shields.
Raegar: so
Raegar: I could sidestep and flank?
You could indeed, as there are only two shields.
Raegar: do so
Raegar: left side
GM: [2d20 = 9]
Two spears lance out, two spears miss.
Raegar: MY TUUUURN
Campaign saved.
Eyup
Raegar: attack the … one of the shields.
Raegar: guys
but I also deliberately did not take AOOs against the crazy nut with the shield, so I still had them when you went :P
Go for it!
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 17]
Hit
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+8 = 22]
Raegar: Longswords (Damage) [1d8+6 = 12]
Shae, one of the shields infront of you falls
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Damage) [1d6+7 = 10]
Raegar: shouldve hit two of em instead of one.
true
Raegar: didnt want to risk it
Raegar: oh well, making inroads in any case
GM: [1d20 = 10]
GM: [3d4 = 9]
A bolt of energy goes hurtling through the newly made gap, striking one of the skeletons
Raegar: i should take cleave..
GM: [1d20 = 14]
holy schmucks!
GM: [1d8 = 1]
WILLIAM SHOOTS ONE WITH AN ARROW!
Raegar: and it kersplodes?
hell no, rolled a one. with an arrow. on a skeleton.
I think its rattling in its ribcage
GM: [2d20 = 11]
Shae, there is a “THUNK” as the skeleton facing you slams into you with its shield, but your own manages to prevent any effect. Its sword clatters off the rim.
GM: [2d20 = 39]
GM: [1d20 = 1]
GM: [2d8 = 11]
Raegar, two spears find your tender bits.
thats adjusted for the aura.
Raegar: ouch
GM: [1d20 = 14]
Campaign saved.
The second swordskeleton misses.
Shae Vanderin
Shae Vanderin: Shield bash the one in front of me.
Shae Vanderin: Melee attack [1d20+6 = 13]
Thats a miss.
Raegar
Raegar: how many skeletons left?
Two spears and a sword on you, one sword-and-board on Shae
Raegar: attacking two diff skeletons..
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 27]
yar.
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+8 = 25]
yar.
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Damage) [1d6+7 = 12]
Raegar: Longswords (Damage) [1d8+6 = 9]
Raegar: ARE THEY DEAD NOW?
lulz, almost.
Raegar: afffff
I kid.
Raegar destroys both spearskeletons
GM: [1d20 = 20]
GM: [3d4 = 11]
And ducks just in time for a crackling bolt of boom to drop the sword wielder.
GM: [1d20 = 19]
GM: [1d8 = 3]
WILLIAM SHOOTS THE ONE INFRONT OF SHAE
GM: [2d100 = 46]
….good lord, and he gets around the shield.
GM: [2d20 = 33]
GM: [1d6 = 5]
Shae, there’s another THUMP as the skeleton slams his shield into yours, and then the less comical burning sensation of its shortsword lashing out around your shield andhitting you.
Shae Vanderin
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: I hate this skeleton and his tower shield.
Shae Vanderin: Bash him in the skull.
Shae Vanderin: Melee attack [1d20+6 = 14]
Raegar
Neeeeeeeeeeext?
Raegar: two diff skeletons
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+8 = 28]
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [CRITICAL THREAT]
there’s only one left.
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [CONFIRM] [1d20+8 = 28]
YOU MURDER IT.
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 12]
Shae, you hear a clank as the shield infront of you falls to the ground.
Shae Vanderin: “I fought poorly. I need more training.”
Shae Vanderin drags both tower shields and weapons of the skeletons to the pile.
Raegar: “That was painful.”
You have three tower shields, three longspears, six shortswords.
Shae Vanderin: and all the chain hauberks
GM: …err, huh?
GM: I have no idea what you got from the last combats
GM: I’m just listing off what you got just now
Shae Vanderin: putting it all in one pile for inventory later
Raegar: …
Raegar: we got 6 chain hauberks
Raegar: one morning star
Raegar: thats all
and six longswords, same place as the hauberks.
Raegar: okay then
Campaign saved.
indeed.
You have before you a hall, ending in a doorway.
It is from this doorway that the undead came.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): 2am for you guys you ok to continue?
Raegar: noooooooooooooo
Kiergath: LOL.
Kiergath: I don’t think Dave realized what time it was.
Raegar: Maaaan I usually goto bed 4 hours ago
Raegar: when i stay up this late im usually drunk
gee, thanks.
Raegar: i did not see the time go by
Nick (Shae Vanderin): combat drunk :P
Raegar: Now im gonna sleep horribly..
Raegar: SINCE I CANT WAKE UP PAST 8 ANYMORE
Raegar: oh well
Raegar: Well guys
Raegar: was awesome
lawl.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): lets shoot for Tuesday.


Session 20
Session 22
Gaming Sessions

Session 21

To Seek the Stars Kiergath