Session 29

Okay, anyway. While I have something passing for undivided attention, are there any questions – other than “when can we expect the logs?” or some variation there-of?
Nick (Shae Vanderin): Can I have 2000g?
I’ve got to admire your balls – take fifty.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): lol no no its ok a joke.
No, seriously, you said you were going to arrange a sort of general store in Ashby.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): Yes for people traveling north and south who forgot stuff in Garmol, kinda like a last chance rest stop for provisions.
Campaign saved.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): Neat, I will draw up a design of the store for fluff.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): it made 50g in a month?
Nick (Shae Vanderin): awesome.
Don’t expect it to regularly manage that, there’ll be some random in there.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): since the feat inspirational leader has a mechanical benefit of + 4 to rally checks (which I have no idea how that works and I doubt we are using those rules), could it instead be a + 4 to morale checks of those under my command?
Campaign saved.
Kiergath: uh, rally checks are a thing from the mass combat rules iirc, and if you were trying to rally troops I’d probably actually call for a diplomacy check anyway because, yeah, simpler than remembering all these different things.
So yeah, switch to to morale.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): ok
Nick (Shae Vanderin): course I dont remember how morale works either.
How inspirational you are won’t matter a lick once they’ve broken, but it would keep them from breaking in the first place.
Therefore.. morale.
I haven’t a clue, but I’m sure I’ll use it anyway, however I spontaneously decide it works ;)
Nick (Shae Vanderin): ill look it up in the meantime
You can do that, but I won’t promise I’ll use it.
Whatever I end up doing, though, you’ll have a + or – 4 bonus to it.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): sounds good, cant find it anyay
maybe – 4 as a bonus, because I’m feeling retro and want to run it as a “Unit (x) has a morale of (y), must roll under to pass check”
When we left off, you were preparing to leave your men behind and go on a scout.
Alex will be along when he’s able.
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: Correct, we are leaving Lasariel with the troops and taking 2 of the fastest running mercs with us so we can send word back if needed.
Raegar: i might be da fastest….
Shae Vanderin: Gather up supplies and head in, formation is as follows if all agree to it.
Raegar: not really, really..
You’re movement speed 30, so no.
Raegar: Then why is my nickname longstrider?!
Raegar: Oh…
Raegar: It isn’t..
Raegar: right..
are you sure you aren’t drinking?
Raegar: Pretty sure
Shae Vanderin: Hoxton and Shae in front, Then Raegar/Ryasi, then Selene, then the 2 mercs.
Shae Vanderin: Or if Hansen comes he can stand with Selene.
sure. No, he isn’t coming
Shae Vanderin: k.
sorry, setting up my combat tracker again…
Shae Vanderin: Plan is to head straight for the closest fortress first but keep our eyes and ears open for any sign of danger.
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: I think you said it was Fortress Misthold.
Misthold? Was that it? I couldn’t remember #2. Greyegate was the other.
but yeah, Mist is closer.
Shae Vanderin: k.
Alrighty. Thats done.
You head off into the swamp, trudging slowly in the direction of the fortress on your map.
Shae Vanderin: Avoid soft ground as much as possible.
So not much at all.
Shae Vanderin: Is our movement impared pretty badly
Not terribly, but you’re not going to find much really good ground.
You estimate you’ll be near the first forest by nightfall.
Shae Vanderin (is): wary.
Raegar: “I love the smell of swamp early in the morning.”

forest. lol.
stupid “for”-words..
Raegar: They are an afront to my sensibilities.
Shae Vanderin: Is it early morning?
It is early morning when you depart, yes
Campaign saved.
You trudge, and you squish, and you slide your way through the swamp.
Shae Vanderin: Going to gather any dry wood we find as we go.
You can do so.
In mid-evening, the sun beginning to sink out of view, after an otherwise uneventful march, you come into sight of what must be the first fortress.
Raegar: “Mmm… Fortress-ey.”
It sits on the northern side of the road, its towers crumbled. A curtain wall stands in disrepair, the battlements largely toppled by neglect, stones covered in moss and vines.
Shae Vanderin: “I really wish we could have stopped in tombshade to do some research about these fortresses. As it stands we have no idea what to expect.”
Ryasi: “And they would have.. what.. just let us in the front gate?”
Shae Vanderin: “Agreed, it wasnt an option.”
Raegar: “Don’t worry, I can sneak in easily enough..”
Shae Vanderin: “Do you want to go ahead a bit Raegar, our human eyes are pretty useless without torchlight.”
Campaign saved.
Hoxton: “Indeed!”
‘Alex’ connected
Ryasi: “Yeah…”
Selene: “Eeeeyeahh….”
Ryasi: “Can’t see a thing.”
Alex (Hoxton): Hallo!
Hoxton: “Be silent, wenches!”
oh thank god
Alex (Hoxton): hey it’s me
I was about to get into a three way argument using an NPC’d PC
Nick (Shae Vanderin): Is it common knowledge that Paka can see in the dark?
thank you for saving me
Raegar: “Off I go then.”
Nick (Shae Vanderin): heya Alex.
Kiergath: I don’t know, but you’ve been travelling with them for awhile, so you’d be aware.
Raegar: “Selene, care to come along?”
Nick (Shae Vanderin): change my last statement to ‘my human eyes’
Kiergath: And Hoxton’s!
Selene follows Raegar.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): ^ worst line ever from that movie.
Ryasi follows Raegar and Selene for a few yards, dropping prone and shrugging her firearm off her back, watching them as they disappear into the gloom.
Hoxton! You are in a swamp!
It is evening.
There is a ruined fortress before you, rumored to be full of VILE AND EVIL UNDEAD, as if there were any other kind.
Hoxton: “I sense a great disturbance in Horus’ great plan.”
Shae Vanderin: “They are just scouting ahead a bit.”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: Draw my sword and then find a dry place to sit and wait.
Raegar and Selene return.
Raegar: “The walls and gates are unmanned.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “Bunch of them shambling around the courtyard. Moving rocks apparently.”
Hoxton: “We should go and set them to rest.”
Shae Vanderin: “Theres no way Hoxton nor I will be able to sneak in. Im for Hoxton’s idea and if it provides an opprotunity to sneak in take it.”
Shae Vanderin: “I mean, for Raegar or Selene to sneak in… lets go.”
You head up to the fortress gate.
It is in poor condition, the doors themselves long since fallen.
Shuffling figures move back and forth in the courtyard beyond.
Shae Vanderin: “Can anyone provide light or are we using torches?”
Ryasi mumbles something and taps Hoxton’s mace – it bursts into light.
Shae Vanderin: “Excellent.”
Shae Vanderin: Move in, Im staying at Hoxton’s Flank.
The shuffling figures, now that you have more light, appear to be skeletons. They are carrying chunks of stone.
Campaign saved.
Each one also has a sheathed sword slung over one bony shoulder.
You move in, and as you enter the courtyard they cease their work.
There are ten of them, and they drop their burdens as one and draw weapons.
‘Alex’ disconnected
‘Alex’ connected
They stand and watch you, swords drawn.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): ?
Raegar: unsheath weapons
Alex dropped.
[3d20 = 22]
Alex (Hoxton): TROMP!
Nick (Shae Vanderin): wb
The ten skeletons make no further move.
Alex (Hoxton): Tromp forward and bust some heads!
Shae Vanderin: Advance.
righto, initiatives!
[1d20 = 20]
Shae Vanderin: Initiative
[1d20+5 = 25]
Raegar: 5 here too!
Nick (Shae Vanderin): +4 to all our rolls, mines already taken into account
GM: 20
Campaign saved.
Raegar: so me and shae are at 25
Raegar: 9
Raegar: 29
Hoxton: Initiative [1d20 = 11]
Raegar: Charge forth
Raegar: and attack the closest two.
quite so.
Shae Vanderin: fyi remember my major aura gives us all DR 1
Raegar: they undead right?
Raegar: ..duh..
Raegar: asking for form..
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Attack 1) [1d2013 = 29]
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+12 = 19]
hey look, hits.
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Damage) [1d6+13 = 17]
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+12 = 20]
Raegar: Longswords (Damage) [1d8+12 = 19]
Nick (Shae Vanderin): Im not sure you can move and do a full attack, not sure if dual weild works like that tho
Single attack only after a move act.
you are correct.
Raegar: oh
Raegar: Really?
Raegar: okay then
So, taking the longsword attack.
Its still standing.
Shae Vanderin
Raegar: “…Its still up.”
Raegar stares at his sword..
Shae Vanderin: Move to cover Raegars flank and attack the same one.
Shae Vanderin: Spell [Fortitude Minor Aura – Demand Fortitude] – > 4 on Fortitude saves 30ft aura
Shae Vanderin: Erikur’s +1 Greatsword (Attack 1) [1d207 = 13]
Shae Vanderin: miss
That’ll hit.
Campaign saved.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): its at – 3 i forgot to put that in, for combat exp
then yeah, miss
Alex (Hoxton): Smash with the utmost prejudice!
Hoxton: “Bring the light of Horus down from the sky and let it comfort you down from your point of rest!”
Hoxton: Maul (2h) 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [1d209 = 12]
sadly enough, that’s a hit.
Hoxton: Maul (2h) 1.5 Str (Damage) [1d107 = 8]
Campaign saved.
GM: [1d20 = 2]
GM: [2d20 = 6]
GM: [2d20 = 22]
GM: [1d20 = 3]
GM: [1d8+1 = 4]
GM: [2d20 = 13]
GM: [2d20 = 22]
GM: [1d8+1 = 4]
GM: [2d20 = 26]
GM: [1d20 = 20]
GM: [1d8+3 = 9]
Shae is hit, Selene is hit.
Everyone else is missed.
Raegar: is
Raegar: mine is down
Raegar: oh
Shae missed.
Raegar: are two in range?
You have your pick of at least 3, probably.
Raegar: good
Raegar: hit the one i damaged and a new one
Raegar: [1d20 = 2]
Raegar: …10
GM: Yep
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d209 = 20]
GM: Yep
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Damage) [1d6+9 = 10]
Raegar: Longswords (Damage) [1d8+11 = 12]
One dead. One not.
Shae Vanderin
Shae Vanderin: Cross slash on the one I previously missed.
Shae Vanderin: Erikur’s 1 Greatsword (Attack 1) +7 [1d204 = 10]
The magic number is,for the record, 12. So..
Raegar: weeeeeeeeeeee
Raegar: I can hit ‘em provided i dont roll a 1!
Raegar: …and then I can take 10
Campaign saved.
Raegar: …or cant i
take what?
Raegar: i still dont understand what you people were pulling.
Raegar: i dont know…
taking 10 is for skill checks.
Raegar: Sure it is… I’m on to your schemes..
Nick (Shae Vanderin): hehe
Raegar: …is hoxton hitting anything?
Raegar: =P
I have no idea, he may be asleep.
Or wanking into his new awesome headset.
Alex (Hoxton): Sorry, sorry.
Raegar: Wanker!
Alex (Hoxton): Half-hearted smash.
Hoxton: Maul (2h) 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [1d209 = 20]
Hoxton: Maul (2h) 1.5 Str (Damage) [1d107 = 16]
GM: [1d20 = 6]
GM: [2d20 = 31]
GM: [2d20 = 14]
GM: [2d20 = 38]
GM: [1d8+1 = 4]
GM: [2d20 = 18]
GM: [1d20 = 15]
GM: [1d20 = 15]
GM: [1d8+3 = 6]
GM Hoxton is hit!
Hoxton is hit!
Raegar: are there two in range?
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Attack 1) [1d20+10 = 28]
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 14]
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Damage) [1d6+9 = 14]
Raegar: Longswords (Damage) [1d8+11 = 14]
That finishes off two.
Shae Vanderin
Shae Vanderin: Uppercut slash on the one facing me.
Shae Vanderin: Erikur’s 1 Greatsword (Attack 1) +7 [1d204 = 18]
Shae Vanderin: Erikur’s 1 Greatsword (Damage) [2d64 = 12]
A hit! A fine hit!
Campaign saved.
Hoxton: Maul (2h) 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [1d209 = 16]
Hoxton: Maul (2h) 1.5 Str (Damage) [1d107 = 8]
GM: [1d20 = 2]
GM: [1d20 = 16]
GM: [1d8+3 = 4]
Ryasi finishes Hoxton’s.
GM: [2d20 = 12]
GM: [2d20 = 32]
GM: [2d20 = 8]
GM: [1d20 = 14]
GM: [1d8+1 = 6]
Selene is hit!
Shae Vanderin: Finish off the one I hit.
Raegar: Can I hit two more of them?
Shae Vanderin: ""^
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Attack 1) [1d20+10 = 15]
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 11]
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Damage) [1d6+9 = 13]
Shae Vanderin
Sorry. Raegar finishes one.
Four left.
Shae Vanderin: Any in range of Raegar and I?
Shae Vanderin: for full attack?
Go for it.
Shae Vanderin: Leg slash.
Shae Vanderin: Erikur’s 1 Greatsword (Attack 1) +7 [1d204 = 19]
Shae Vanderin: Erikur’s 1 Greatsword (Damage) [2d64 = 11]
Campaign saved.
Hoxton: Maul (2h) 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [1d209 = 15]
Hoxton: Maul (2h) 1.5 Str (Damage) [1d107 = 9]
You kill it!
GM: [3d20 = 36]
GM: [2d20 = 23]
They all miss! Your NPCs all miss!
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Attack 1) [1d20+10 = 14]
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 22]
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Damage) [1d6+9 = 11]
Raegar: Longswords (Damage) [1d8+11 = 15]
Same target, diff targets?
Raegar: diff
Shae Vanderin
Two wounded, one intact!
Shae Vanderin: Overhead slash on a wounded one that Raegar just struck.
Shae Vanderin: Erikur’s 1 Greatsword (Attack 1) +7 [1d204 = 23]
Shae Vanderin: Erikur’s 1 Greatsword (Attack 1) +7 [CRITICAL THREAT]
Shae Vanderin: Erikur’s +1 Greatsword (Attack 1) +7 [CONFIRM] [1d204 = 9]
Shae Vanderin: Erikur’s 1 Greatsword (Damage) [2d64 = 13]
Alex (Hoxton): One left?
Campaign saved.
one wounded. one not.
Alex (Hoxton): The non-wounded.
Hoxton: Maul (2h) 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [1d209 = 27]
Hoxton: Maul (2h) 1.5 Str (Damage) [1d107 = 12]
Alex (Hoxton): Also, cleave.
There is no cleave.
Hoxton: Damn.
For that you would need to have attacked the almost dead one.
GM: [1d20 = 7]
GM: [1d20 = 7]
NPCs are useless.
GM: [2d20 = 22]
So are skeletons.
Raegar kills them.
Raegar: !!
Raegar: “That was fun.”
Raegar dusts himself off.
Shae Vanderin: “Stay wary.”
Selene: “For you, maybe..”

Shae Vanderin: Spell [Dexterity Minor Aura – Motivate Dexterity] – > + 4 on initiative and Dex based skill checks 30ft aura
Selene retreats slightly and starts licking her wounds.
Raegar approaches Selene.
Raegar: “How injured are you?”
You approach in time to see them closing as she works.
Raegar: as… who works?
..Selene. Licking wounds. I mean this literally.
The wounds are closing.
Campaign saved.
Raegar: oh
Raegar: “…That is an interesting ability you people have.”
Shae, the courtyard has fallen silent with the demise of the undead.
There are piles of rubble where they appear to have been moving stones.
Shae Vanderin: What did it look like they were trying to do? Clear the courtyard of rubble?
Several partly collapsed buildings and entry-ways to towers and the like are open, while others are still blocked by heaps of debris.
Shae Vanderin: “Hmm.. they seem to have been ordered to excavate.”
Ryasi: “Preparing the fortress for use?”

Raegar checks the skeletal corpses for loot.
eight longswords.
Raegar: “Reasonable enough explaination.”
Shae Vanderin: “Agreed.”
Shae Vanderin: Does it look like they were working for a long time based on the completion of the work?
Raegar: “You know, with 300 armed men, we could man the two fortresses.”
Raegar: “Perhaps extract some support from Daltigoth for keeping the road open..”
Shae Vanderin: “You make a good point. Do you want to check the interior first?”
Raegar: “Right.”
Selene: “Could at least send the runners back to move the column up.”

Raegar: “Thats what I’m thinking.”
Raegar: “We should set them to work at rebuilding the wall temporarily.”
Selene: “We’d have at least two days to secure it before they arrived.”

Raegar: “If we get into trouble, we would at least have somewhere to fall back to..”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin nods.
Shae Vanderin: Ill write up our location and give orders to move all the men and supplies foward to our position where we intend to occupy Fortress Misthold.
Shae Vanderin: Then give it to the runners along with verbal explanation and wish them well.
It is currently late evening.
There is no light.
Shae Vanderin: “Morning then. It may be dangerous to travel at night.”
Shae Vanderin: “Rest up you can head back at first light.”
It is dark. You’ve been marching through a swamp all day and just fought a battle.
Shae Vanderin: Aye, going to rest ourselves, probably right here in the courtyard.
I’m not saying you have to camp, I’m just saying “its been a long day”
[3d10 = 15]
Morning comes without issue.
Shae Vanderin: Send the men off at first light.
They depart.
Shae Vanderin: Keep our camp set up, “So, should we explore the interior now or wait for the men to return?”
Campaign saved.
There are six towers, a gatehouse, two buildings, and the keep. Anything else is either ruined or still blocked off.
Raegar: “Lets start with the smaller buildings, gatehouse and all.”
Nick (Shae Vanderin): dont suppose you could draw out the layout after the game for us?
Raegar: why?
Nick (Shae Vanderin): I want to see where the towers are located and such.
Raegar: ah
Nick (Shae Vanderin): not now tho take up too much time.
Alex (Hoxton): Check for the remains of a chapel once we’re done exploring the rest.
I could indeed.
Shae Vanderin: “Sounds like a plan Raegar. Gatehouse first.”
You start with the gatehouse.
The portcullis is still raised, but appears jammed.
The mechanism is all there, just.. not really usable as it is.
Probably not a hard one to fix, though.
There is no furniture within, nor remains there-of.
Raegar stares pensively at the mecanism…
Raegar scratches his chin…
Raegar kicks the mechanism.
Bundles of arrows by each arrow slit, though.
[1d20 = 19]
Raegar! You stub your toe.
Campaign saved.
There’s some sign of recent activity, but nothing in residence at this time.
Shae Vanderin: Inspect the arrows. Are they still good?
Some are, some aren’t.
Some of them appear to be far older than the others.
Some of the bundles appear to be newly made.
Shae Vanderin: Leave them where they are.
Other than this, the gatehouse doesn’t have much to say for itself.
Shae Vanderin: “Move to the towers? This looks pretty secure.”
Raegar: “…What do you mean?”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “No lets check the two buildings first, they may be barracks.”
Shae Vanderin: “Or storehouses.”
Raegar: “…I am confused.”
Kiergath: …by what?
Raegar: “Move what to the towers? And why?”
Kiergath: …yourselves, dingbat.
Kiergath: Shae is suggeting checking the towers next because there’s nothing to see in the gatehouse
Nick (Shae Vanderin): ^
Raegar: good good
Kiergath: :P
The towers are also reasonably empty – the upper levels of each is mostly blocked or, in the case of two, completely absent.
One has a relatively intact second level, and this appears to have been converted into an armory.
Shae Vanderin: Are the towers stone? And if so pretty solidly intact?
Shae Vanderin: Ah nice.
Piles of arrows, bows, spears and swords.
Shae Vanderin: Are the towers all 2 level? Like where sentries post watch?
Shae Vanderin: And one of them the 2nd level is an armory, I see.
the second floor would have been level with the old battlements. Judging from the ones that’re still reasonably intact, they used to be at least 3 story.
Unfortunately, only the one being used for storage has an accessable second level; the rest are either destroyed or blocked by rubble.
Shae Vanderin: Ok I understand.
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “These towers are essentially useless as anything other than storage rooms for now.”
Shae Vanderin: Move to the buildings.
One is empty save for racks around the outside, currently empty.
The roof is also missing.
The second appears to have been a workshop and forge.
This is in reasonable repair and appears to have been used recently.
Shae Vanderin: “Hmm.”
Ingots, coal and et cetera laying about.
Shae Vanderin: Does the forge look fairly intact with a little maintenence?
Shae Vanderin: So the only area left is the keep itself which lies beyond the gatehouse yes?
The gatehouse leads outside…
Shae Vanderin: Ah right.
The keep is inside the walls just like all the rest of this stuff.
Shae Vanderin: Sorry I dont know my castle layouts that well.
Raegar: “Several questions come to mind.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “Seems to me, the undead, were setting themselves up for the long stay.”
Shae Vanderin: “Yes, which is what we should do if we can find the resources to do so.”
Hoxton: “We should sanctify this place regardless, cleanse it of the stench of the unholy.”
Shae Vanderin: “At least until we cover the whole murk this is a great base of operations.”
Shae Vanderin: “Especially if a bit of basic repair can be done.
”color:#000054;">Shae Vanderin: “

”color:#000054;">Raegar: “It will cost a pretty penny.”

Shae Vanderin: “But I do wonder what is in the keep itself. At this point if its not abandoned it will have to be dealt with.”
Ryasi: “Even without repairs, its better than trying to defend an open patch of swamp.”

Shae Vanderin nods, “Agreed.”
Shae Vanderin: “Dont misunderstand, I doubt this will become a place we will stay after the murk is explored in full.”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “But who knows what the future holds, we have too little information yet for that.”
Shae Vanderin: “We will have to see to finding resources such as drinkable water and food first and foremost. If we cant find those they we will only be here till our supplies run short.”
Shae Vanderin: then*
Shae Vanderin: “I wonder if any of our men have skill in repair..”
Shae Vanderin: “Well see. For now I feel we might want to take a look inside the keep and make sure it is secure.”
Raegar: 95% of them are noble or noble retinue…
Raegar: so..
Raegar: likely..
Highly unlikely there’re any stonemasons..
Raegar: that.. no..
Shae Vanderin: “I meant to speak with you about our men also Raegar.”
Raegar: “Yea?”
Shae Vanderin: “I feel that in light of my recent speech, and the fact that they majority noble guards that if they see the opprotunity to overthrow us, they might take it.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “Interesting.”
Shae Vanderin: “Maybe we should meet with the previous nobles and try and come to an understanding.”
Raegar: “Oh, I took my own precautions.”
Shae Vanderin: “What precautions?”
Raegar: “Nothing I can check up on right now, I was rather reactionary in my approach.”
Raegar: “I would hazard a guess that most of those fellows had wives and children, those wives and children were in prison with them.”
Raegar: “I had them sent to Ashby.”
Shae Vanderin: “You did?”
Raegar: “If they get troublesome, I’m going to threaten to kill their families.”
Shae Vanderin blinks.
Raegar: “then I’ll evade them with Selene and the rest.”
Shae Vanderin: “Would you be against trying the diplomatic approach when they arrive?”
Raegar: “Why would I be?”
Raegar: “Why are you even bloody worried in any case?”
Shae Vanderin: “Just want to let you know what I intend.”
Raegar: “…I still rather don’t know what you intend, other than the so called diplomatic approach.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “And frankly, getting them out of the dungeons, is diplomatic enough for me. What do you intend to offer them?”
Shae Vanderin: “Well, Im simply going to meet with the nobles, let them know that its in their best interests to work with us in the long run despite the fact we dragged them into a swamp.”
Raegar: “For you information, I wouldn’t mention the female and children prisoners. To them. As I said, I saw a problem, thought about it and grasped for the only handle I could think of on these men… I’m frankly not even sure if those are their families.
”color:#000054;">Shae Vanderin: “Let them know they can start over, be with their families in Ashby.”

Shae Vanderin: “Why call them prisoners, just call them guests that are ‘under your protection’.”
Shae Vanderin: “I think they will get the point without sounding threatening.”
Raegar: “…Because they were prisoners before being sent to Ashby.”
Shae Vanderin: “True but no longer.”
Raegar: “Uh huh..”
Raegar: “It was just the easiest way to refer to them..”
Raegar: “I don’t have them under lock and key, I don’t even know if they are in Ashby.”
Raegar: “As I said, its a useless trump card without more information. Don’tm mention it.”
Shae Vanderin: “Hmm. Would have been a great bargaining chip.”
Raegar: “…Again.”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “Oh well, we will have to make do without it.”
Raegar: “Why do you feel the urge to bargain with people I just had set free?”
Raegar: “Anywho, its your warhorse, go ahead and bargain as you see fit.”
Shae Vanderin: “Im looking at it from their perspective. These were nobles who had everything stripped from them and imprisoned. Now they are released and have their former guards en mass led by a small mercenary company and a noble – you, who supported the peasants in their struggle against them.”
Raegar: “I still fail to see why you feel the urge to convince me of anything…”
Raegar: “I’m a noble now?”
Shae Vanderin: “These also are the same nobles who wouldnt feed their workers.”
Raegar: “…”
Shae Vanderin: “You are a landed owner, in most nations that makes you a noble, at least where I come from.”
Raegar: “You want to know what I think? Of these men? Of the mercenary company?”
Selene: “There I come from, it just makes him wealthy enough to pay the costs..”

Kiergath: Where*
Raegar: Are there mercs around?
Kiergath: Just Shae.
Raegar: kk
Raegar: “I think its a nice hobby, these prisoners, I couldn’t care less about them.”
Raegar: “For the reasons you so eloquently stated.”
Raegar: “They are tools, I expected that we’d get most of them killed here in the swamps.”
Raegar: “I still expect that.”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “But I also know that we couldnt hope for success without more men. So I endeavoured to get some for us, for free.”
Raegar: “Its worked so far.”
Raegar: “What do I care if a few more bluebloods get a nameless grave in a swamp far from home?”
Raegar: “As long as I can claim them as enlisted bck in Garmol and get a few more gold for them. I’m happy.”
Shae Vanderin: “They havent had to fight yet. And if we dont meet with success they are likely to turn on us is what Im saying.”
Shae Vanderin: “We can try and ensure they dont if we at least placate them.”
Raegar: “Let me be even more plain…”
Shae Vanderin: “I agreed with your statement till I found out they were nobles and noble guards. Now I fear they are organized and have worked together and may mutiny. Thats all Im saying.”
Raegar: “I don’t care… Deal with them as you see fit.”
Shae Vanderin: “You dont care if they mutiny? That could put our lives in danger Raegar.”
Shae Vanderin: “Ill try and deal with it when they arrive.”
Raegar puts his face in his palm…
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “I don’t care what you tell them.”
Raegar: “Of course I care if I’m bloody dead.”
Shae Vanderin turns and walks away in frustration.
Raegar: “Give her 220 more men to order around, for bloody free, and shes frustrated about it..”
Raegar mumbles something about humans and their brains..
Raegar stands alone in a building.
Hoxton walks around sanctifying ruins.
Selene and Ryasi sit around the ashes of last night’s camp fire.
Raegar walks up to the keep.
Raegar: “Anyone else want to come and check out the insides?”
Shae Vanderin: Grab a bottle of wine at the camp, drink half of it, then stow it and head over to Raegar.
Shae Vanderin: “Ready.”
You regroup at the keep.
Campaign saved.
The door to the keep, unlike those to the rest of the area, are apparently a tleast still functional.
And shut.
Apparently heavy wood banded with metal.
Raegar opens the doors.
Shae Vanderin: “Keep an eye out for traps.”
You push. You strain. You do not budge.
Shae, you see no traps, though you do see murder holes and arrow slits a-plenty.
Shae Vanderin: Is the door locked or stuck?
Raegar: “Hmm..”
You would guess there’s a wooden beam across the back of it.
Shae Vanderin: “Hmm.”
Shae Vanderin: Look around for another entrance.
There is none.
Shae Vanderin: Any windows one could climb to?
The only windows are arrow slits.. the only way in you could think of might be to climb all the way up to the battlements at the top.
Shae Vanderin: How many feet up is that?
call it about forty.
Raegar: “I could make that..”
Shae Vanderin: “Does anyone have rope?”
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: “Wait I do.”
Raegar: “Finally! a use for these..”
Raegar produces a grapplig hook.
Shae Vanderin hands Raegar her coil of rope 50’.
Raegar: “I’ve got my own.”
Shae Vanderin nods.
Raegar swings his hook around and tosses it up the wall.
Raegar: climb
Raegar: the wall!
Climb check!
Raegar: Skill [Climb]
[1d20+6 = 7]
Raegar: ill take 10 …
Shae Vanderin: lol
…Sad as it is..
According to the Climb table…
“A rope with a wall to brace against, or a knotted rope”.. DC is 5..
Raegar very shakily heads up the wall.
[1d20 = 18]
[1d20 = 14]
Ryasi and Selene shoulder their weapons and then spring at the wall, clawing their ways up the stonework.
Shae and Hoxton stand around at the bottom of a rope.
Campaign saved.
Raegar: “Show-offs!”
Raegar, the battlements of the keep seem in good repair compared to the rest of the fort. It is a square structure with a sentrybox at each corner.
It is a single flat platform covering the entirety of the roof.
A single stairway leads down into the keep.
Raegar climbs down the other side to the door.
wait.. what?
Okay, clarification.
You are dealing with the stereotypical Norman-style keep. It is a large square tower.
If you climb down the “other side”, you would be on the back-side of the keep, and no closer to your destination than when you started.
Raegar: ah
Raegar: mmm
Raegar: “Ill go have a look inside then..”
Raegar: “May need to have the lot of them climb up too..”
Shae Vanderin calls up, “Maybe theres a trapdoor or vent or something!”
GM: [1d20 = 5]
Raegar, listen check!
Raegar: Skill [Listen] [1d20+3 = 17]
Something’s coming up the stairs!
You can tell, none of your party has enough armor to rattle like that.
Except Hoxton, but he’s down in the courtyard still.
Raegar: Skill [Hide] [1d20+13 = 31]
Raegar: I hide
Raegar: I hidep
You have two options of where to hide. One is “In a sentry box”, the other is “hanging over the battlements”
Campaign saved.
Raegar: Sentry box
Shae Vanderin: im afk a few
Stomping up the stairs is a black-armored figure, ivory-white bones showing through gaps in the metal.
It carries a shield and longsword.
Alex (Hoxton): Papa!
But those are slung on its back and sheathed at its waist respectively.
Hoxton mutters a prayer under his breath and stomps up the wall.
In its hands it carries a mighty maul.
Glowing blue eyes trail over the top of the keep.
They pass the sentrybox where Raegar is hidden.
And then they stop on the grappling hook hanging on the battlements.
Raegar: hmm
Raegar: could i sneak past them
Raegar: to the stairs
You sneak past, the skeleton gets to the grapple, and Hoxton heaves himself over the battlements.
Raegar: are their backs turned, from the sentry box
Campaign saved.
For one dramatic moment, Skeleton and Hoxton stare at each other.
They finger their respective mighty weapons.
And the DM calls for initiative.
GM: [1d20 = 4]
GM: [1d20 = 18]
GM: [1d20 = 8]
Raegar: “So much for sneaking..”
Raegar: Strength check [1d20+4 = 22]
Raegar: ..wrong button
Raegar: its 5 for init
Raegar: Initiative [1d205 = 22]
Shae Vanderin: If Hoxton makes it up the wall Id climb up once he got to the top.
Shae Vanderin: Initiative [1d20+5 = 14]
Hoxton: Initiative [1d20 = 2]
Correction, starting with Hoxton on round one.
since Raegar had been planning on sneaking.
Hoxton draws his hammer, raising it to the sky, catching it in a royal glint of sunlight before bringing it down to crush his foes’ skull.
Campaign saved.
But does he hit…
Hoxton: Maul (2h) 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [1d209 = 14]
With smite that’ll hit.
Hoxton: Maul (2h) 1.5 Str (Damage) [1d107 = 11]
There is a loud “crack” from the region of the skeleton’s head!
But it still ..un..lives..
Raegar: mmm
Raegar: Charge!
Raegar: …
Raegar: Wait
Raegar: they were near the edge right?
Raegar: If they found the grappling hook
Raegar: they had to be near the edge
All it takes to find the hook is to look at it.
Hoxton is between the skeleton and the edge.
Raegar: isnt there two?
…never said that…
Raegar: ah
Raegar: …so I cant throw it off the edge..
Raegar: poo..
Raegar: Charge!
only if you want to shove Hoxton too
I won’t judge.
Shae Vanderin: Flank it for a bonus.
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 11]
Raegar: Flank it for a bonus!
you still miss.
Raegar: good
Raegar: yay!
GM: [1d20 = 10]
GM: [1d20 = 10]
Campaign saved.
The undead raises his hammer skyward, the head crackling with black energy!
And then he brings it down on Hoxton.
GM: [1d10+9 = 14]
Shae Vanderin
Shae Vanderin: Skill [Climb] [1d20-3 = 3]
Shae Vanderin: wait
Shae Vanderin: im at – 3?
Shae Vanderin: hang on
I have no idea.
Shae Vanderin: doesnt str cancel that out tho?
Thats why you’re not at – 6.
According to your sheet.
Shae Vanderin: Shit you are right
Shae Vanderin: great… how much damage from the fall.
None, you didn’t really make it very far.
Shae Vanderin: phew ok.
Assuming you all have it under control, Ryasi and Selene watch the stairs.
Hoxton: “You are an abomination before Horus, and we will see you sent back to the beyond! Return, spirit!”
Hoxton: Maul (2h) 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [1d209 = 23]
Hoxton: Maul (2h) 1.5 Str (Damage) [1d107 = 17]
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Attack 1) [1d20+10 = 22]
Raegar: Longswords (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 27]
Raegar: Anklebiter – Shortsword (Damage) [1d6+9 = 14]
Raegar: Longswords (Damage) [1d8+11 = 18]
Shae Vanderin: Hox didnt roll damage
yes he did.
Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin: oh yes he did duh.
Shae Vanderin: <—>
GM: [1d20 = 13]
GM: [1d10+5 = 7]
Hoxton is thumped!
Shae Vanderin
Shae Vanderin: Dust myself off and try again.
Shae Vanderin: Skill [Climb] [1d20-3 = 6]
You’re fine.
Raegar: cooome on Paladin
Raegar: knock that thing into the third dimension
Hoxton: Hoxton winds back, preparing a massive swing across the thing’s body.
Hoxton: Maul (2h) 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [1d209 = 18]
Hoxton: Maul (2h) 1.5 Str (Damage) [1d107 = 8]
It collapses to the ground in a pile of bones and metal!
Hoxton: “I leave you lot alone up here and you begin interacting with the unsanctified dead?”
Shae scrambles up over the battlements.
Shae Vanderin: “What happened up here?”
Selene: “Raegar made a friend. Hoxton killed it.”

Campaign saved.
Shae Vanderin looks at the corpse, “Hells… the place isnt empty.”
Raegar: any of its stuff usable?
Raegar: is the hammer still there?
The hammer is indeed still there.
As is the armor.
And a sword. And a shield.
Raegar picks up the sword.
Heavy steel. Long. Half plate. Maul. In reverse order.
Raegar swings it ‘round.
Raegar: “Wonder if these things have any magic to them..”
Shae Vanderin: “Ryasi might know.”
Ryasi: "Did you want me to look now, or wait until we may have more? My magics aren’t inexhaustable.“

”color:#000054;">Shae Vanderin: “Hoxton, are you ok?”

Raegar: “Later, later.”
Hoxton is quite bludgeoned.
Raegar: “You have to weave and dodge Hoxton.”
Raegar: “Want me to bandage you up?”
dm go brb..
Raegar: Fine.. Fine.. I’ll open another beer then
Campaign saved.
Hoxton: “I’ll suffice. Horus will provide.”
Raegar: qù1az
Kiergath: well said.
Raegar: aaaaand i almost spilled it on my new laptop
Raegar: dats good beer.
Kiergath: quite so.
Raegar: its german.
Raegar: so, we can continue then?
You stand over a pile of dead skeleton. The NPCs keep watch over the stairs leading down into the keep.
Raegar sneaks inside
You sneak down the stairs.
There is a doorway at the bottom.
Raegar: open the door ever so slightly
Raegar: peek in.
door. way.
Raegar: .oh
Raegar: …peek in
[8d20 = 91]
Crit threat..
Miss.. miss..
Crit threat…
[2d20 = 37]
Campaign saved.
And confirms…
Partial cover from a doorway…
GM: [2d100 = 63]
GM: [2d100 = 15]
GM: [2d100 = 71]
GM: [2d100 = 43]
Several arrows clatter off the stonework!
GM: [1d8 = 5]
GM: [3d8 = 10]
GM: [3d8 = 4]
Three others do not clatter off you.
Because elf flesh is not arrow retardent
Absorbant, yes.. retardent, no.
Raegar: …and whats firing
Skeletons. Eight of them.
With longbows.
And light armor.
They all apparently were waiting for someone to stick their nose in the door.
Raegar: run up the stairs
Raegar runs back up the stairs with three arrows sticking out of him!
Shae Vanderin: “Hells.”
Shae Vanderin draws her sword.
I’ll just keep the old initiative order.
Raegar: so
You arrive at the top of the stairs.
Raegar: the stairwell
Raegar: is it just a vent into a stairwell?
Raegar: as in, is it just a hole
Just a straight stairwell, open to the sky.
Raegar: okay
Campaign saved.
Raegar: ill be waiting for something to show its face
Raegar: from the opposite side of the opening
Raegar: “behind”
Raegar: whatever walks up
Raegar: which would put me out of arrow show from straight down correct?
Raegar: kk
Raegar: AOO if they come up?
Unless you’re readying an action to fire at something which steps out of the door.
Which I’m assuming you are.
Raegar: i was gonna hit ‘em with my sword, too far?
Oh. yeah.
Raegar: kk
Raegar: thatll do then
Raegar: ready action to fire
Shae Vanderin
Shae Vanderin: Gonna grab the shield off our corpse friend, then go full defense and get ready to charge into the room.
Shae Vanderin: Next round.
Campaign saved.
Alex (Hoxton): Is there anything visible that’s causing a fuss?
Raegar, Selene and Ryasi are all zeroed on the door.
And Shae is preparing to charge.
Hoxton makes the size of Horus and stomps down towards the doorway.
…sign, maybe?
Hoxton, you end your movement out of arc of the doorway.
Alex (Hoxton): yeah
unless you awnted to end it in arc.
Alex (Hoxton): …lets go with that one.
Raegar: this is why grenades were invented..
Hoxton: [1d20 = 5]
Campaign saved.
The undead do not notice.
Hoxton is now in the doorway.
Raegar: mmm
“mmm” is not an action.
Raegar: take all the shots of powder for the hand canon I still have.
Raegar: Put them together in a ration pack.
Raegar: mix in copper coins.
Raegar: “Hoxton, anything coming up?”
Campaign saved.
You do know you have just described at least two rounds worth of actoins.
Raegar: i know
Probably three.
And thats being generous.
Raegar: start doing all these things.
Shae Vanderin: I have to go after I take my next action.
Nick – noted.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): why not delay till I go.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): thats when Im going to charge in anyway.
Folks, we have two options – we can continue this combat without Shae, or we can break here, since combat is currently a bit hung.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): just a suggestion.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): you guys can continue, what im doing is fairly straightforward.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): once I take my next action
Okay. Let me rephrase. Are you planning on coming back?
Because if not, we are best off pausing here, because combat isn’t likely stop for several floors.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): neg, gonna take my next action then im done
Nick (Shae Vanderin): i figure we could clear the next room of skeletons but if there is more beyond it that is part of the same combat then ya best to pause.
Campaign saved.
yeah, clearing this room isn’t really going to end combat in this case.
Pausing here.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): ok awesome game see you guys tuesday, heading out.
‘Nick’ disconnected
Raegar: i iz making a bomb..
I gathered that.
Raegar: i knows..
Raegar: im just thinking about that bomb im making
Raegar: itll be useless out of the stairwell
Raegar: too big a room after that..
GM: quite
GM: Gonna kill the server

Session 28
Session 30
Gaming Sessions

Session 29

To Seek the Stars Kiergath