Session 5

‘Pitr De Vries’ connected
First one in, you get a cookie.

‘Nick’ connected
Second one in, you get half a cookie.

Raegar: is our flooded friend coming?
GM drums his fingers on the tabletop, eying the clock periodically.
‘Doug’ connected
Third one in, you get some cookie crumbs!

GM: One more….
Ilphvrae: LOL
Raegar: not playing hoxton?
GM: thats not alex.
GM: its doug.
GM: thats why I said, “one more”
Raegar: hi doug!
GM: DaveKarth, meet Doug
Doug (Ilphvrae): Evening
GM: I’d call him CrudDoug or DougCrud
GM: but it wouldn’t mean anything to you
GM: DougCrud.. <snicker>
GM: Sooo.. anyone know any good jokes?/
GM: other than this campaign, I mean.
GM presses “fake applause” button on podium.
Crickets: chirp. chirp.
GM: Tough crowd.
Doug (Ilphvrae): Hehe
‘Alex’ connected
Raegar: doug
Raegar: you know man
Raegar: your char name is hard as hell to pronounce in real life
Raegar: i been sittin’ here tryin’
Nick (Shae Vanderin): just ignore the v I think
Nick (Shae Vanderin): Il-fray
Raegar: Hi alex
Hi everybody!

Doug (Ilphvrae): Howdy Alex
Alex is last, so he gets no cookie.

Better luck next time!

Nick (Shae Vanderin): you pump all the water out of you house Alex?
Crickets: chirp! chirp!
Nick (Shae Vanderin): tough crowd.
GM: I know, right???
Well, when last we met, the party had just revealed their findings to Hiram, Rurik’s resident priest of Horus.

Hiram had returned the favor with a harrowing tale of what these same creatures had done during the war.

You had also learned that, within a few days a report would be sent north to the Daltrithaar fortress of Talas, including details of the finding of this potential outbreak.

That report would in all likelihood result in the village of Rurik being wiped off the map, unless the undead infestation could be contained within the next two weeks, at the outside.

Hoxton had gallantly refused payment; Raegar and Shae had been given their pay of twenty one gold and twenty five silver each.

Shae Vanderin: Are we all still in the temple with Hiram?
GM: eyup, still in his office when we paused
Raegar: “So, our plan was to search for loners.”
Raegar: “They stand the most chance of having been turned and be unnoticed.”
Shae Vanderin: “Very true. And enlisting the aid of the druids could be of vital assistance as they may be able to screen those who may be imposters.”
Raegar: “If they haven’t been turned themselves….”
Raegar: “But then again, I’ve always been the optimistic type.”
Shae Vanderin: “I suggest we head to the druids first and inform them of this. Perhaps they will have a means of detection they can give us or have someone come with us who can. Then we can go door to door and interrogate the populace.”
Raegar: “Detection? You hope they are just going to wave a wand around and douse their way to the undead?”
Hiram nods, “At the very least they could tell you if they’ve treated any of the locals for animal attacks or other injuries.”

Raegar: “Thats what I was thinking.”
Shae Vanderin: “Good, so we have a plan to deal with the situation. Now all that matters is the small matter of reward for doing so. What do you feel these services are worth to you Hiram?”
Raegar Sighs.
Raegar tosses his recent reward up onto the table.
Raegar: “This is a baron’s ransom in any of these parts. Unless you’ve noticed gilded parapets that I’ve somehow missed. I don’t think you can bleed much more out of the town..”
Raegar: “Perhaps if we asked to be paid in lumber.”
Raegar: “Or dirt.”
Shae Vanderin: “Gold is not the only thing of value.”
Raegar: “Or leaves.”
Hiram shrugs, “Yes, we could arrange to pay you in timber. Would you like that in logs, or boards?”

Raegar: “It was a joke.”
Raegar: “Frankly, I dont think having a band of roaming undead would be very good for my future plans of staying alive.”
Raegar: “I’ll do it for free.”
Shae Vanderin: “As a growing group of adventurers you as an ambassador to the Daltigoth empire could certainly speak highly of us and thus expand our reputation. Word amongst locals travels and a bit of fame could do us good.”
Raegar: “Thats a good girl Shae.. My thoughs exactly.”
He looks at you steadily, “I speak of others as I see them.”

Shae Vanderin matches his gaze, “As do I. And I appreciate that.”
Shae Vanderin: “We should be off then. We will report our findings as soon as we have them.”
Shae Vanderin heads for the door if nobody says anything further.
Raegar picks up his Reward. Picks out 5 gold pieces.
Hiram nods, “Appreciated; we have very little time.”

Raegar pockets the 5 gold pieces.
Shae; you return to the main room of the temple – Selene is waiting there, with another woman you do not know. They’re talking quietly, but stop when the party starts to return.

Raegar: “Well, lets have at it then. Lets go see if Druids smell as bad as I remember.”
Shae Vanderin nods to Selene, “Selene.”
Selene: “So, we done here? This is … I’m sorry, I didn’t catch your name in all the rest!”
Ilphvrae: smiles at Selene “Ilphvrae Do’ghym”
Raegar cocks his head to the side with a sly smile.
Raegar: “My name is Raegar. Its a pleasure to meet you.”
Shae Vanderin nods to the newcomer, “Well met, I am Shae.”
Nick (Shae Vanderin): can we get a quick description Doug?
Doug (Ilphvrae): ayup
Ilphvrae: Ilphvrae Do’ghym stands about 5 feet tall and looks to weigh around 100 lbs. Her build is slender but slightly muscular and she is slightly light skinned. She has long black hair with a bluish tinge to it that she pulls back into a ponytail most of the time. She is commonly found wearing some well made leather armor that has been dyed black. A scimitar adorns her left hip and a dagger protrudes from each of her boots. She wears one splash of color and that is blood red sash tied around her waist.
Selene: “And that one back there – the big, stompy fellow, is Hoxton.”
She points.

Hoxton: “It is a pleasure, lass. I look forward to defending you from the evils we are soon to face.”
Selene: “He’s all heart.”
Ilphvrae: “Good day to you all”
Selene: “Well, and a bit of righteous fury. Good mix, really.”
Nick (Shae Vanderin): Doug I will send you a description via steam as soon as I can find it.
Ilphvrae: “It is always nice to take cover behind some rightous fury.”
Doug (Ilphvrae): OK.. let me turn it on…
Shae Vanderin: “Would you care to join us in purging this town of its undead infestation?”
Raegar: Raegar is a young elf, as far as elves are concerned anyways, he wears a rather well worked studded leather cuirass, he is incredibly handy with a bow and enjoys climbing perhaps a little too much. He has a habit of disapearing and reappearing at opportune moments during a fight. He has long beaded white hair that flash in the sun. His traits are fine and takes great care of his grooming, this also shows in how his equipment is taken care of, it is unlikely you’ve seen him without his cloak, a long hooded affaire with some slight silver threading added to it, fine elven craftsmanship, deep dark green and black in color.. He is hesitant to talk about his family. If you’ve known him for a month, you should know by now that he has hinted that they are dead or at the very least, he cannot see those who remain easily, it would be dangerous. In any case, you know that he fled TO Daltigoth as it was safer than staying put. He has the occasional airs of a nobleSar: of nobility*
Raegar: Shae Vanderin and she claims to be a negotiator. Quick description is she is a tall human female well built with braided red hair. She wears heavy banded mail armor and has a 2 handed sword. Youve seen her fight before and she seems fairly capable at it.
Raegar: There we are
lol, Dave found Shae! :p

And Hoxton mostly looks like his portrait.

Only the hammer is much bigger in real life.

Alex (Hoxton): ..much bigger, and more stompy.
Kiergath: Is he actually bald?
Doug (Ilphvrae): Bald and encased in steel?
I heard paladins don’t actually have any real bodies, except for whats exposed by their armor…

Raegar: “Well, lets see about those druids.”
Alex (Hoxton): He shaves his head, yes.
Ilphvrae: “An undead infestation, is it?”
Raegar: “The gathering darkness…”
Shae Vanderin: “Aye. They take the form of common folk. We defeated one at the lumber mill; Hiram says where there is one there are many.”
Shae Vanderin: “We are hoping the druids have a detection method so that we may screen the populace of Rurik.”
Raegar: “Its important to note that some of us have reservations about the undead dousing rod…”
Selene: “We could just find everyone who’s been injured in the last month and kill them…”
Raegar: “I like where this is going.”
Raegar: “Perhaps with fire?”
Hoxton: “Those druids are a blight on the landscape. Thiy perform heathen sex orgies as an affront to Horus in a grove in the center of town, defiling the Godsent starlight.”
Selene: “I figure if we just threaten them a little, they’d reveal themselves.”
Raegar: “Sex orgies you say?”
Raegar: “The life of a druid has never sounded more appealing.”
Raegar: “That is… Until you remember they are all men… Rarely bathe… The rest is a foregone conclusion.”
Shae Vanderin considers Selene’s suggestion.
Ilphvrae: “I am looking for adventure and work, so yes I am interested.”
Selene: “Good, good, the more the merrier and the faster we can get this over with.”
Raegar: “..If you want adventure, you could always look down a druids trousers.”
Shae Vanderin: “Join us then Ilphvrae, more the merrier! (mutters about not getting paid anyway).”
Hiram calls from the office, “Weren’t you good folk on your way? This is hardly temple-worthy discussion!”

Ilphvrae: “So were going to kill these wounded ones and then burn them with fire?”
Selene: “I was joking!”
Raegar: “…Ah … Yes… I forgot.. Temple.”
Raegar: “Sorry Hiram!”
Hiram: “Quite all right.”
Raegar heads towards the door.
Shae Vanderin: To the door and then the druid grove.
You arrive at the grove, guided reluctantly by Hoxton.

It is a fairly small ring of trees, with only one entry through a stone arch.

Ilphvrae: “I have never set much stock in the aid of Druids myself. They dont like to help unless a weed or a tree is in trouble.”
Selene: “Trust in Set – nature is too fickle for my tastes.”
Shae Vanderin enters the grove through the arch, “Hello. Is anyone here that can speak for the druids of Rurik?”
Ilphvrae nods in agreement with Selene
In the grove, you see a pool of water at the center and a lovingly tended garden. A small path winds from the entrance, around the pool and to a small cottage – probably only one or two rooms at best – on the far side.

Shae Vanderin: Tread carefully towards the cottage staying on the path.
A woman, probably in her 30’s or early 40’s, wearing a simple brown robe, looks up from tending a patch of flowers at your entrance, “Yes? I am the ‘druids’ of Rurik.. how may I help you?”

Shae Vanderin: “Try not to disturb anything, we dont want to offend them.”
Hoxton: “I doubt much would disturb these hethans. See how easy it is for a woman to stray from Horus’ light? Fickle creatures.”
Raegar: “…Nobody in this group can act normal.”
The druid chuckles, “I see you’ve brought Hoxton…”

Shae Vanderin: “We have arrived on urgent business from Rurik. We believe the town to be infected by by a disease which causes the survivors to become undead creatures of evil. We have come to ask the druids for assistance in detecting which of the townfolk are infected by this so that we can purge them from Rurik.”
Ilphvrae looks at Selene and nods at Hoxton “Is he always like this?”
Selene: “Yes. Its kind’ve endearing once you get used to it and stop wanting to strangle him for it.”
Ilphvrae: “I see and how long does that take? The not wanting to strangle him part?”
The druid sets her spade aside and walks over to you, “I’m not sure how much help I can be; there is only me here, and my assistant, but he’s only a young boy – not much help against .. undead, did you say?”

Raegar: “Undead are better than werehippos.”
Shae Vanderin: “We believe them to be undead yes. Hiram told us they were known to exist during the war.”
Raegar: “Well, you would have knowledge of those who’ve been wounded recently wouldn’t you?”
Ilphvrae looks to Raegar “Did’nt you say something about an undead divining rod?”
Shae Vanderin: “And Im afraid that if we cannot contain the problem the officials of Daltigoth will send forth a final solution via eradication of ALL of Ruriks inhabitants.”
Hoxton: “There once was a woman who performed such functions. She used to seek out corpses and perform unspeakable acts on them. I had to save her from herself by exorcing the thoughts from her skull.”
Raegar: “With a hammer?”
Druid: “A few people have been to see me, yes; mostly injuries up at the Mill. Some very nasty cuts – I admit to being rather curious, some of them looked like they were inflicted by animals, possibly some sort of large predator.”
Raegar: “Oh gods..”
Raegar: “That is exactly what we are looking for and the undead we slew was at the mill.”
Shae Vanderin: “We should start with those that you treated. Can you give us a list of names of those who had these wounds.”
Hoxton: “Yes, with my hammer – it was the only way to show her the light of Horus.”
Campaign saved.
Ilphvrae: “I don’t thik gods would inflict animal like wounds, they would just strike you down with fire or something neat like that.”
Hoxton: “Horus frequently chooses material agents, such as myself, to express his will. He frequently chooses the strong males of a species to channel his might.”
Druid: “I believe Ragnar was brought to me a few days ago, Hodvar a couple nights before that.. I think Boli was the first, probably two weeks ago.”
Raegar: “Ragnar? Thats horrible”
Druid: “All mill workers.”
Shae Vanderin makes notes of the names.
Raegar: “Well, we should go back to the mill then..”
Shae Vanderin: “Agreed, and we can start with these 3 names.”
Raegar: “Thank you for your help, what is your name? It was terribly rude of us not to ask..”
Druid: “Oh! Gemma. I’m glad you stopped by, despite the circumstances; the grove doesn’t get as many visitors as it used to, before that temple they built..”
Doug (Ilphvrae): Does she have an offering dish of some sort?
No

Shae Vanderin bows to Gemma, “Thank you. If you think of any other information please report it to Hiram or one of us.”
She nods, “Certainly.”

Shae Vanderin: Looking at Gemma, does she look like she has any scars? Like from say animal attacks?
Well, that you can see through her robes…

Shae Vanderin: None exposed, got it.
Shae Vanderin: To the mill if everyone is done.
Raegar: to the mill
Ilphvrae walks over to Gemma and takes her hand and places a couple of gold in it if her sleves come up look for fresh scars. “Thank you for the information and her is a donation to your circle.”
She thanks you, but you don’t notice anything of the sort.

Doug (Ilphvrae): follow the party out
You return to the mill; its getting into evening when you arrive.

Sentries continue to pace nervously around the grounds, and activity seems rather subdued after earlier’s battle.
You can still smell the rot and decay from the battle, but it is somewhat abated.

Ilphvrae: “Oh how nice it is getting to be dark out. The undead like the dark time don’t they?”
Ilphvrae: “Oh my poor nose! What ever is that horrid smell?”
Shae Vanderin: “Ok, we want to do this as quietly as possible, partly to not scare the people, and partly not to lose any undead who may try to flee. Its getting a bit dark so we will be at a disadvantage but we havent time to lose. Counting on your eyes Raegar.”
Selene: “That’d be the thing we killed earlier – and it smelled worse alive.”
Shae Vanderin: Approach a sentry and inquire where the 3 names we have are staying."
A man comes stomping up to the party, crossbow over his shoulder; “You’re back! What can we do to help?”

Ilphvrae sighs, “worse smelling?”
“Ah, them.. well.. y’see..”

“Well, Boli’s actually probably in town right now, he commutes, see? Got a family in Rurik.”

“Ragnar, he.. he got sick after we took him to Gemma in town, he didn’t make it.”

“Hodvar’s here at the mill, though. Over yonder, its his watch.”

The man points at one of the sentries pacing the grounds.

Shae Vanderin: “We would like to speak to him.”
“Sure, certainly.” He turns and bellows out, “Hey, Hodvar!”

Shae Vanderin: Head in the direction that he pointed.
Doug (Ilphvrae): follow along withthe party
The man identified as Hodvar turns to look at you when yelled at.

He pauses, then turns and flees, yelling, “Oh gods, they’re coming to kill me! Help! Don’t let them get me!”

Shae Vanderin: “HALT!”
Shae Vanderin: “After him!”
Initiative rolls please.
Shae Vanderin: Initiative
[1d20+5 = 24]
Raegar:
[1d20 = 10]
Nick (Shae Vanderin): add 4 to your initiative rolls pls
Ilphvrae: Initiative
[1d20+9 = 27]
GM: so.. four to everyone in the party’s rolls…
Raegar: 19
Hoxton: Initiative [1d20 = 9]
Ilphvrae

Hodvar is fleeing.

Ilphvrae: Hold my action but call out
The sentries seem unsure whether to join in chasing Hodvar or to shoot at you.

Ilphvrae: “HEY! Stop him! We need to speak with him!”
Raegar: “HE STOLE THE MONTHS PAY!”
Shae Vanderin
Shae Vanderin: Distance to Hodvar?
probably about 200, 250 feet.

Shae Vanderin: ouch.
Shae Vanderin: Full run towards him, close 40 feet.
Full run would be double normal movement, no?

Shae Vanderin: correct but Im wearing banded mail.
Ah, right

Raegar: [1d20 = 2]
GM: Turn> Hodvar.
Hodvar makes it into the tree line.
Selene takes off after him
Raegar

Raegar: full run
You close 60 feet.

Hoxton

Doug (Ilphvrae): I will follow after them when it comes back around
He continues screaming in panic as he goes, for the record.

Hoxton: “HORUS! CHANNEL YOUR MIGHT THROUGH ME TO SMITE THE UNBELIEVER! BIND HIM WITH THE ROOTS OF YOUR TREES AND SLOW HIS EGRESS WITH THE FEROCITY OF YOUR WIND! HETHAN HALT!”
GM: …hmm…
Hoxton: Hoxton stomps after the fleeing figure.
Hoxton!
Knowledge (Religion) check, modified by wisdom and intelligence penalties.
Hoxton: Skill [Knowledge (Religion)] [1d20+1 = 17]
Hoxton: WIS is + 1, INT – 1
A stiff breeze starts whistling through the trees and branches creak and sway chaotically!

Ilphvrae

Full pursuit?

Doug (Ilphvrae): Slow down once I reach the tree line
Ilphy closes at full speed.
Shae Vanderin

Shae Vanderin: Is Hodvar still in sight or has he gone into the tree line?
Out of sight.

Raegar is the closest behind him.

But is still not quite at the trees.

Shae Vanderin: Full run stop at the treeline.
Query :> Is the party regrouping at the treeline where Hodvar made his escape?

Shae Vanderin: Thats the plan I think.
Doug (Ilphvrae): I am stopping their
Selene: I’m stopping there!

You regroup at the treeline.

Raegar: “On the plus side. He should be easy to track…”
Alex (Hoxton): I am only stopping there if my momentum allows me too.
If it doesn’t, that tree in front of you does.

;)

Shae Vanderin: “Was just going to ask that, can any of you track?”
Raegar: “Hehehe… Yea…”
Raegar: “Follow me.”
You follow after Hodvar, wind still whistling through the trees and branches a-swayin’.

Raegar, the trail is incredibly easy to follow; broken branches, trampled brush..

Scraps of clothes.. scraps of flesh.

Shae Vanderin: Draw weapon as we track.
Ahead of you, an unearthly howl of anguish rings out through the trees, as a vile smell begins to waft in on the wind.

Ilphvrae: Draw my bow, ready an arrow and fit someplace in the middle of the party.
Spot checks, all around.

Shae Vanderin: Skill [Spot]
[1d20+5 = 24]
Ilphvrae: Skill [Spot] [1d20+7 = 18]
Raegar: Skill [Spot] [1d20+7 = 14]
Hoxton: Skill [Spot] [1d20+1 = 11]
All of you – except Hoxton – can see the writhing form of what you think was Hodvar ahead in a small clearing.

And all of you – including Hoxton – can smell it.

Shae Vanderin: “There! Kill it quickly” and charge.
Ilphvrae

Round starting at the top.

You see a gaunt, warped fascimile of a man, covered in rotting filth that was once his clothes and flesh. Green vapors seem to drift out from glowing emerald eyes, and its hands have warped into long, wicked claws.

Ilphvrae: Step off into the shadows and move to flank and get a side shot
Accomplish-able, take the shot.

Ilphvrae: Composite Shortbow (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 15]
And you miss.

Shae Vanderin

Shae Vanderin: move in to attack fighting defensively.
making your AC what?

Shae Vanderin: 19
kk

You can be in melee and attack this round, if you want.

Shae Vanderin: ok attacking.
Shae Vanderin: – 4 to this roll for defensive.
Shae Vanderin: Two-handed Sword (Attack 1) [1d20+3 = 8]
Miss, and a fort save please.

Shae Vanderin: Fortitude save [1d20+4 = 17]
Doug (Ilphvrae): We must be winded fromthe run!
The smell is terrible, but you’re not suffering any ill effects.

The twisted, vile icky-icky monster swings at Shae!

Nauseating goo flies everywhere, but the claws don’t come anywhere near you.

Raegar

Raegar: move for side shot.
Selene darts into the brush and hits with an arrow, but it does very little.
Raegar: an’ shoot
Raegar – Left or Right, Selene and Ilph have gone …. left.

Raegar: go right
Noted; roll it.

Raegar: Longbow (Attack 1) 12 [1d20+7 = 12]
You’re all exhausted from the run.

Hoxton

HOXTON

Hoxton: Prepare to smite the demon.
You prepare to smite the demon!

Hoxton: “Fires and light of Horus, flow through me and use me as the instrument of your indominable might!”
Alex (Hoxton): Move and strike!
Rollit.

Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [1d20+4 = 23]
…that’ll do it

Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Damage) [1d12+4 = 14]
Fortitude save!

Hoxton: Fortitude save [1d20+5 = 21]
You are un-ill

Ilphvrae

Doug (Ilphvrae): Fire again at the iky thing
rollit

Ilphvrae: Composite Shortbow (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 13]
y’all need to take proper rest breaks in your pursuits in the future.

That or all your bowstrings got wet :P

Doug (Ilphvrae): I seem to have found Morgans Dice…
Shae Vanderin

Shae Vanderin: Swing to kill (non defensive AC returns to 17)
Shae Vanderin: Two-handed Sword (Attack 1) [1d20+3 = 15]
Aaaand you’re one short.

The Vile, Evil, Icky Icky Monster winds up and swings.

…seriously, dice gods?

A one and a two?

Doug (Ilphvrae): It kills its self?
hell no

Raegar, Ilphvrae, and Selene all feel whistles of air past them as swings fail to connect from behind.

Raegar

Raegar: SHOOT THE THING
Raegar: FULL OF HOLES
Would that be the one infront of you

Raegar: Longbow (Attack 1) [1d20+7 = 12]
Raegar: …
Or the thing that just tried to swing at you?

Irrelevent, I guess

Raegar: OR MISS AGAIN, THATS GREAT TOO
Hoxton, Shae, you are starting to get nervous about all these arrows :P

Hoxton

Shae Vanderin: “Put this thing to its end Hoxton.”
Raegar: you know
Hoxton: “LET HORUS IN AND GUIDE YOUR HAND, RAEGAR! HIS MIGHT WILL GUIDE YOU TO STRIKE TRUE!”
Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [1d20+4 = 5]
Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [AUTOMATIC MISS]
Raegar: Ive never hit ONCE since this campaign started.
GM: <scratches>
Raegar: not once..
Hoxton, religion check?
Hoxton: Skill [Knowledge (Religion)] [1d20+1 = 2]
Raegar: haha
Raegar: HAHAHA
Ilphvrae: coughs
Alex (Hoxton): If you fail, fail big.
Raegar: thats just friggen hillarious
Raegar, make a wisdom check and subtract that from it.

Raegar: subtract what from it?
Raegar: 1?
no, 2.

Raegar: [1d20 = 2]
Raegar: – 1
Raegar: making my roll 1
Raegar, in a moment of weakness, you believe Hoxton.

Raegar: pretty sure we’re cursed.
Raegar: …What am I believing now?
You are under the affect of a True Strike spell, and have a +20 to your next attack roll.

Raegar: fun
Alex (Hoxton): Still laughing? :P
Selene turns to engage something behind her and Ilphy.

Raegar: watch meh roll a oner
Ilphvrae

Doug (Ilphvrae): How close is the one behind us?
Whatever is behind you was close enough to take a swing at you, and Selene is fighting with a sword.

Ilphvrae: Weeell… Lets see if my dice will work for me here..
Ilphvrae: Tumble back and to the side away from both creatures then if I can fire off a shot
You have two skeletons behind you, one fighting Selene and one swinging at you with a sword.

Ilphvrae: OH
Doug (Ilphvrae): I see…
Doug (Ilphvrae): Well then…
rollit.

I don’t care what, just roll something.

:P

Ilphvrae says “Why hello there bony man” and hits him with her sword
Ilphvrae: Scimitar (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 20]
That’s a hit.

Ilphvrae: Scimitar (Damage) [1d8+2 = 4]
And not a very good one.

Shae Vanderin

It does less damage than you seem to think it should.

Doug (Ilphvrae): I was umm.. startled…
Shae Vanderin: Recover from my two misses and slash at Hodvar with an upward swing.
Shae Vanderin: Two-handed Sword (Attack 1) [1d20+3 = 23]
Shae Vanderin: Two-handed Sword (Attack 1) [CRITICAL THREAT]
Shae Vanderin: Two-handed Sword (Attack 1) [CONFIRM] [1d20+3 = 22]
Hit, no crit.

Shae Vanderin: Two-handed Sword (Damage) [2d6+3 = 11]
Alex (Hoxton): You need a more impressive warcry Ilphvrae.
The vile icky icky evil monster collapses into a puddle of horrible horrible goop

Ilphvrae: Hehe :) I thought of screaming at first but that does not fit her so… ;)
Shae Vanderin: “Rally together, fight back to back!”
Doug (Ilphvrae): Where did I putt hat Dragonborn Shout at…
I be cookin’ with gasoline now, you bet.

Selene takes a hit from one of the skeletons and drops into a heap against a tree.

Raegar, you feel an unnerving amount of pain as the skeleton behind you runs a sword clear through your torso. It hurts. Did I mention the pain?

Raegar

Raegar: freaking
Raegar: ghit back
Raegar: hit*
Roll them bones

Alex (Hoxton): Ha.
That was bad, in hindsight.

Raegar: Swords (Attack 1) [1d20+4 = 13]
Hit.

Raegar: 33
Raegar: Swords (Damage) [1d10 = 5]
Raegar: 8
What kind of sword are you swinging?

Raegar: shortsword
That’s a d6, in the future.

You didn’t de-scramble your character sheet :P

Raegar: Then it aint a shortsword
Raegar: nope..
Raegar: i need to fix this thing up..
Raegar: a bit..
Raegar: i still think I have mexican armor..
yessiree.

five is still a possible roll, therefore..

Doug (Ilphvrae): I thought I smelled tacos…
it still doesn’t do as much as you expect

Hoxton

Raegar: it does 8
HOXTON

Raegar: its dead
no, it does 4 :P

Raegar: =P
Raegar: damned.
Raegar: damned skeletons..
Alex (Hoxton): The thing still alive in front of me?
No

Alex (Hoxton): The other one?
There is fighting in the brush on your flanks

But the vile goop monster is dead

Hoxton: “CLEAR! CLEAR! GUIDE MY FEET TO CARRY YOU TO GLORY!”
Raegar: clearly that was the right choice to make.
Ilphvrae scream out “Selene! NO!”
Raegar: =P
Hoxton stomps rapidly in the direction of the fighting, blindly swinging his hammer at the source of the disturbance.
Oh, dear.

Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [1d20+4 = 19]
Damage?

Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Damage) [1d12+4 = 5]
Your warmace connects with something. That something ceases moving and falls in a shower of rattling bone.

Ilphvrae

Ilphy, you are thankful that the warmace did *not connect with your head. It did however kill the skeleton that dropped Selene.

*
Hoxton: “Women! This is dangerous work, and you should leave the fighting to the men! You might be greivously wounded!”
Ilphvrae Roars in anger and swings again! You gods damned bone thing!
Ilphvrae: Scimitar (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 17]
hit

Ilphvrae: Scimitar (Damage) [1d8+2 = 7]
Shae Vanderin

Shae Vanderin: Move to interpose myself between Raegar and the skeleton attacking him. Fight defensively and swing (AC 19, – 4 to this roll)
Shae Vanderin: Two-handed Sword (Attack 1) [1d20+3 = 19]
Shae Vanderin: 15
she’s a hit

Shae Vanderin: Two-handed Sword (Damage) [2d6+3 = 11]
The skellington on Raegar collapses!

The skeleton on Ilph misses!

Selene bleeds!

Raegar

Raegar: nothing to attack in front of me?
Newp, you see another skeleton in the brush fighting Ilph though.

Raegar: shoot it.
- 4.
Raegar: Longbow (Attack 1) [1d20+7 = 17]
Still a hit.

Raegar: Longbow (Damage) [1d8+3 = 11]
It collapses, with an arrow lodged in its skull

Raegar: “I hate skeletons.”
Ilphvrae: Hoxton! Help Selene! She is dying!
Shae Vanderin: “Someone see to Selene, shes down.”
Raegar: run to her
Raegar: I got healy talents
Roll it.

Raegar: Skill [Heal] [1d20+2 = 18]
Welp, she’s not bleeding out anymore.

Still unconscious.

Raegar: “She wont die out here but thats the best I can do till we get her back to town.”
Shae Vanderin: “Collect the skulls of the skeletons, we will need them as evidence. I will carry Selene, lets get back to the lumber camp.”
Raegar: “Evidence for what?”
Shae Vanderin: “Proof that these undead are using minions now.”
Raegar: “I dont think anyone is doubting our undead menace theory at the moment..”
Raegar shrug.
Shae Vanderin: Search the battle site, anything of interest treasure or clue wise?
Three shortswords.

Shae Vanderin: Quality?
One handaxe, one light crossbow, 20 bolts.

Nothing exceptional.

Arsenal grade equipment.

Ilphvrae looks for sturdy stick on the ground
Shae Vanderin: “Please gather the weapons, at least we can sell them or save them for later.”
Shae Vanderin picks up Selene carefully and heads for the mill when all are ready.
Raegar: “Stupid gits put a hole in my cloak.”
Ilphvrae once she finds a suitable stick she collects the skulls one at a time and puts them in a bag.
You collect skulls, gear, and your wounded.

and begin the trek back to the mill.

Raegar: “First thing we’ll need to do is find her a place to rest.”
Raegar, as the tracker, you are on point.

Spot check?

Raegar: Skill [Spot] [1d20+7 = 17]
Raegar: …
As you approach the treeline, you begin to hear a commotion from the mill.

Raegar: OH SURE, PUT MY DICE BACK ON MY SIDEBOARD AND NOW I GET A 20
Raegar, you see figures moving chaotically in the mill grounds

Raegar: “Oh crap.”
Raegar: “Hide.”
Raegar: “Hide now.”
Shae Vanderin stops, “What is it?” and ducks down in the trees.
Ilphvrae: run to the shadows and hide
Raegar: “Im not sure… Stay back, I’ll check it out..”
Doug (Ilphvrae): wellI spose I dont have to go far for shadows…
Not far at all, no

Raegar: “Theres a whole to do down at the mill…”
Raegar: “Cant quite make out the trouble from here..”
As you listen longer, you begin to discern the sounds of combat out of the din.

Alex (Hoxton): I’m not sure Hoxton CAN hide.
Raegar: “Battle…”
You can stand very still and pretend to be just one more tree trunk

Hoxton: “…Are the servants of Horus in trouble?”
Raegar: “..No”
Raegar: “Horus commands you stay behind that tree there.”
“There’s more coming from the north side! Gods, HORUS HELP US”

Raegar mumbles something about getting us killed.
Raegar: “Oh gods..”
Ilphvrae whispers “I think the fire idea is the one we should have used.”
Hoxton: “HORUS! His disciples! COME, COMPANIONS! Women to the rear! We shall rescue these noble peoples!”
Hoxton stomps forwards in a loping charge, bounding with his warhammer close at hand.
Raegar: “…Defenatly should have went with the fire.”
Shae Vanderin: “Raegar what do you see?”
Raegar: “I see a dead paladin.”
Ilphvrae: “Ummm… hell no?”
Hoxton charges off to the lumber camp

Raegar: “Well… Lets cover this hulking human before he becomes another undead..”
Raegar, from your vantage point a little ahead,you see the lumberjacks fighting off a group of skeletons.

Shae Vanderin: “How many are fighting? Hells, there goes Hoxton.”
Raegar: “Skeletons..”
Hoxton, you see the same.

Raegar: “Shae, bring her to me, ill keep an eye on her and cover you…”
Shae Vanderin: “How many are there? Like 10 or like 100?”
Raegar: spot check morgan?
Raegar, you can see less than half a dozen skeletons.

But you’re reasonably sure you don’t see all of them, going by the ruckus.

Raegar: “Half a dozen at the most.”
Shae Vanderin: “Lets go.”
Raegar: move to within firing range
Shae Vanderin follows after Hoxton, carrying Selene.
Raegar: when in range, ask Shae to leave selene
Ilphvrae: I will um.. stay back and cover you and assist Rae.
Doug (Ilphvrae): move to range as well
Shae Vanderin nods to Raegar and places Selene at his feet.
OKAY.

Raegar: now, use selene as a barricade.
Raegar: ..thats a joke
Raegar: =P
HOXTON, you arrive in melee range about the time Raegar and Ilph are in firing range.

Doug (Ilphvrae): I was going to use Rae as cover… :P
Raegar: use the elf as cover?
Raegar: Thats a great idea
SHAE, you will be in melee in two rounds and be able to attack on the second round.

Raegar: =P
This may not make sense, movement-speed wise, but it is now word of god.

Hoxton

Doug (Ilphvrae): You have to have a few hit points left to absorb :P
Nick (Shae Vanderin): afk 1 min
Doug → you might be surprised at how few :P

Now that you are all closer, you can all see what Hoxton saw earlier.

There is another rot beast leading the undead assault.

Doug (Ilphvrae): Hey a demi human shield is a demi human shield, Set must be blessing me :P
Raegar: Lets just say my appearance obsessed elf is going to have a fit when he gets within range of a mirror.
Raegar: which he has in his backpack
Raegar: which will be used soon.
Raegar: along with the soap..
Hoxton Tosses his warhammer head first onto the ground, letting the handle slowly swing forward as he continues his charge, letting out a hellish howl. “SUN OF HORUS, FUEL MY STRIKE!” He rockets forwards, snatching the hammer in both hands and bringing it down with all his might in a overhead strike at the creature before him.
Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [1d20+4 = 8]
This entire place smells like an army has been using it for a latrine and a burial ground, possibly the same pit for both.

Hoxton slams his warmace into the earth.

Even as the last fading rays of sunlight disappear over the treeline, the sun seems to find the energy for one final burst of light!

The undead are all bathed in light, which continues to flicker across their forms and illuminate them.

The sun then completes its descent.

Raegar: good call
Ilphvrae

Doug (Ilphvrae): So how long to dig to china?
Ilphvrae: Fire off a round at the icky dude
Roll it

Ilphvrae: Composite Shortbow (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 19]
damage?

Ilphvrae: Composite Shortbow (Damage) [1d6+2 = 4]
Shae Vanderin

Shae Vanderin: This is still round 1 Ill full run forward.
You’ll be in range next round to swing.

Raegar

Raegar: shoot a… skeleton
Raegar: I think
Raegar: Is there a stinky one around?
You have four skeletons and the rot thing in range.

Raegar: rot thing
Raegar: Longbow (Attack 1) [1d20+7 = 14]
That will hit this one

Raegar: Longbow (Damage) [1d8+3 = 6]
Selene does nothing!

Lumberjacks valiantly attempt to fight the undead!

The rotten icky icky evil goop monster thing swings at Hoxton!

Hoxton! Claws lash out and rake across your divine figure! Fortitude save!

Hoxton: Fortitude save [1d20+5 = 24]
Alex (Hoxton): Too divine.
A skeleton joins the fun and beats you with a femur.

Shae, two skeletons save you the trouble of closing in and attack you, but miss.

A fourth takes off charging at Raegar and Ilphy, fingers outstretched, seeking nostrils.

Hoxton

Hoxton: “DEMONS! FALL BACK AGAINST THE MIGHT OF HORUS FOCUSSED THROUGH MY WILL!”
Hoxton swipes widely at the skeletons.
Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [1d20+4 = 19]
Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Damage) [1d12+4 = 14]
GM: Skeleton you say?

Alex (Hoxton): Yes.
It drops, cleave.

Alex (Hoxton): AT THE EVIL BEING!
Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [1d20+4 = 19]
Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Damage) [1d12+4 = 8]
The rotty thing is still standing, but mildly perturbed.

Ilphvrae

Ilphvrae: Fire off a shot at the boneman coming at us
Ilphvrae: Composite Shortbow (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 24]
Hit.

Ilphvrae: Composite Shortbow (Damage) [1d6+2 = 7]
Shae Vanderin

Shae, you have two skeletons in melee range.

Shae Vanderin: Cross slash at the one on the right.
Shae Vanderin: Two-handed Sword (Attack 1) [1d20+3 = 6]
That, unfortunately, is a miss, even with the illumination.

You should really mail Alusair’s dice back to her.

Raegar

Raegar: shoot the one coming for us
Raegar: Longbow (Attack 1) [1d20+7 = 10]
A miss! A fine miss!

Selene does some more nothing.

Shae, the skeletons trying to eat you roll worse than you do. I realize that’s improbable, but its true.

The skeleton will be in range of Ilph and Raegar next round.

Hoxton

Hoxton hefts his warhammer in both hands, grins at the rotting creature before him and lets out a mighty roar before swinging with every muscle he has.
Alex (Hoxton): Power attack, – 2
Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [1d20+4 = 24]
Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [CRITICAL THREAT]
Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [CONFIRM] [1d20+4 = 14]
she’s a hit, no crit.

Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Damage) [1d12+4 = 9]
Alex (Hoxton): + 4
The thing collapses

with a splash of goop

Ilphvrae

Ilph – > You have two fighting Shae, and the one charging you. It will be in range to swing if you don’t manage to drop it.

Ilphvrae: Fire again at the oncoming bones
Ilphvrae: Composite Shortbow (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 11]
I fear the magic number is twelve.

Shae Vanderin

Shae Vanderin: Spin back around from my last missed swing and attack the one on the left.
Raegar: welp… we are really hoping it misses i guess =P
Shae Vanderin: Two-handed Sword (Attack 1) [1d20+3 = 7]
Raegar

Raegar: shoot the one coming for us
Raegar: Longbow (Attack 1) [1d20+7 = 8]
Raegar: Longbow (Attack 1) [AUTOMATIC MISS]
Your bowstrings must’ve gotten wet, folks.

Raegar: see? told you.
Selene continues doing nothing; she’s getting quite good at it.

The skeleton gets in range and promptly misses.

Raegar: Sweet
Shae! One of the skeletons on you slaps you up-side the head with a sword.

Hoxton

Hoxton! You have two skeletons close to you on Shae. The one on Ilph and Raegar is a ways away.

Alex (Hoxton): LETS DO THIS!
That was OOC, I can’t give you bonuses for that.

Hoxton: “GET! AWAY! FROM! THAT! WOMAN!”
Hoxton: Hoxton screams, running and planting his feet firmly on the ground before slamming his hammer at the skeletons near Shae.
Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [1d20+4 = 22]
Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Damage) [1d12+4 = 11]
GM: …
GM: Cleave
Nick (Shae Vanderin): goddamn Hoxton is a wrecking machine.
Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Attack 1) [1d20+4 = 14]
Hoxton: Warmace (2h) + 1.5 Str (Damage) [1d12+4 = 8]
Alex (Hoxton): Yeah he is.
Shae, you are left standing in awe as Hoxton plows through both skeletons.

Alex (Hoxton): Most damaging level 1 character I’ve ever had.
Ilphvrae

Doug (Ilphvrae): Try and hit the damn thing with my sword
Ilphvrae: Scimitar (Attack 1) [1d20+9 = 20]
yep

Ilphvrae: Scimitar (Damage) [1d8+2 = 5]
Shae Vanderin

You’re in projectile range.

Or you could run after it.

Shae Vanderin nods a smile of thanks to Hoxton and then motions towards the final skeleton. Then charges to it.
Hoxton: “Foolish woman! Get back here!”
Double movement will get you there, but not to swing.

Hoxton: “You’re putting yourself in danger!”
Shae Vanderin: I can charge for double?
Ah, right, go for it

Sorry, charge rules and I aren’t on close terms.

:)

Shae Vanderin: Two-handed Sword (Attack 1) + 3 [1d20+5 = 20]
Hit

Shae Vanderin: Two-handed Sword (Damage) [2d6+3 = 6]
Its dead

Around you, the sounds of combat are fading.

Shae Vanderin: “Is everyone ok?”
A few lumberjacks are straggling in from the perimeter, many of them supporting wounded or dragging bodies into piles.

Raegar: check selene
She’s still unconscious, but none the worse for wear from the last battle.

Raegar: “Crap…”
Raegar: “Someone grab selene..”
Raegar: head over to the lumberjacks..
Shae Vanderin: “Ive got her.”
Raegar: any of them bleeding out?
A few, look like sword wounds and blunt trauma.

for the most part.

Raegar: get to healing
Raegar: you want rolls?
You seem to have arrived before the rot thing managed to get mixed in to the melee.

Ilphvrae: "If they were wounded by the icky thing then they become icky things, yeah? “
”color:#540000;">Shae Vanderin picks up Selene and heads over to Raegar.

Gimme four rolls

Shae Vanderin: “Thats what we beleive yes.”
Raegar: Skill [Heal] [1d20+2 = 12]
Raegar: Skill [Heal] [1d20+2 = 11]
Raegar: Skill [Heal] [1d20+2 = 9]
Raegar: Skill [Heal] [1d20+2 = 5]
Woo….

Ilphvrae: Is the temple still standing?
Temple’s in town, you’re in the mill

Ilphvrae: I see
Alex (Hoxton): Of course it is. Horus would never let a temple fall in Hoxton’s presence.
Dave, four more rolls.

Raegar: Skill [Heal] [1d20+2 = 3]
Raegar: Skill [Heal] [1d20+2 = 7]
Raegar: Skill [Heal] [1d20+2 = 15]
Raegar: Skill [Heal] [1d20+2 = 7]
Raegar: …these dice
Raegar: SUCK
Ilphvrae: Is their an alarm bell?
Nick (Shae Vanderin): Dave, change the color of your dice for luck.
Everyone’s stable, either by chance or your activity.

Raegar: how?
There’s no alarm bell, no.

Nick (Shae Vanderin): click the diagonal arrow in the top right
Ilphvrae: Or should I set the mill on fire to get their attention?
The lumberjack you spoke to earlier, who sent you after Hodvar, approaches.

Shae Vanderin: Regard him as he approaches.
Raegar: “I fear for the town.”
He’s limping along supported on his axe, looks like he took a sword to one leg.

Ilphvrae: “I see you had company while we were playing in the woods.”
Raegar: “But we cannot go up against those things again in our sorry state.”
“Good thing you folks got back when you did- we’re down seven men here, and as many unconscious.”

Shae Vanderin: “It may be best to abandon the camp for now and head to the town. We dont know if there will be another attack and we fear that there is at least one more of these rot creatures there that we need to deal with.”
Raegar: “No, no, you dont understand.”
Raegar: “What if the town is already crawling with these things?”
Raegar: “Going back would be a death sentence.”
Shae Vanderin: “We have to find out… are you volunteering to scout ahead Raegar?”
The miller nods in agreement, “We’ve only got five men in any shape to fight, ten wounded but conscious, and seven more in bad shape.. we can’t go anywhere.”

Doug (Ilphvrae): I am semi afk, phone call
Raegar: “What we should do is move all the wounded into one barrack, if I look after them, I can get them back into shape faster than laying them out in bed for a while.”
Doug (Ilphvrae): back
Raegar: “Perhaps just through the night.”
Shae Vanderin: “Then at least lock yourselves inside the barracks and do not open the door for anyone as they may be one of the undead.”
Raegar: “What about US Shae?”
Raegar: “Are we going to drag Selene around?”
Raegar: “I took a bloody shortsword to the neck.”
Raegar: “We must rest.”
Raegar: “We wont help anyone if we are dead.”
Shae Vanderin looks at the wound. Yes you are quite wounded arent you.“
”color:#000054;">Ilphvrae: “We need to get her to the temple and have the priest heal her and you Raegar. That will be payment for this nights work.”

Raegar: “Look, we have 4 days.”
Raegar: “We might as well wait till the sun comes out and stay here.”
Raegar: “If one of the dead or wounded come back..”
Raegar: “We can deal with it now rather than having to come back here later and clean up again.”
Ilphvrae: “Well then lets start moving these wounded and everyone else into the barracks.”
Shae Vanderin: “Lets gather everyone up into the barracks then. We will spend the night here and come up with a further plan in the morning.”
Raegar: “Leave the dead outside. Lay them out. If it moves, cave in its skull.”
You haul everyone into the barracks.

The lumberjacks are dousing the piles of bodies with lantern oil and setting them ablaze, actually.

Shae Vanderin: Rest for the night.
Raegar: Rest, look after the wounded.
Under the ranger’s watchful eye, you all regain two HP per level overnight.

Alex (Hoxton): yAY!
In the morning, the lumberjacks begin trying to tally the dead from the night before.

Shae Vanderin: Wait for them to finish. Is there anyone not accounted for that was burned or survived?
No mill staff unaccounted for; they manage to collect thirty six skulls, not counting the ones you killed.

Somewhere during the night, Selene regains consciousness.

Raegar: “You owe me.”
Selene: “Noted. Thanks.”

Raegar: “Don’t mention it.”
Raegar: “That was a joke, you know.”
The miller stomps up, “Well, everyone’s back on their feet, in a manner of speaking.. if you’re gonna head for town, we’re gonna head back there with you – no sense in splitting up at this point.”

Ilphvrae: “Well then lets get going.”
Shae Vanderin: “Good. I think that would be best.”
Raegar: “Glad to hear it.”
And I think its time to break.

Raegar: awww
Raegar: tonight was fun
Raegar: =)
Nick (Shae Vanderin): sounds good.
Raegar: i still think the dice have a grudge
GM: FG2’s dice hate everyone, man
Raegar: hey, while everyone is here.
Raegar: Does thursday work best for you guys? Cuz it sorta does for me.
Raegar: Wednesday is fine too but … Thursday = better.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): either works for me
Alex (Hoxton): I’d throw in for Thurs, probably.
Ilphvrae: Right now it does not matter to me much
it makes very little difference for me.

Raegar: well, then, if you all wouldn’t mind terribly, could we do this on Thursday then?
fine by me

Ilphvrae: cool beans
Nick (Shae Vanderin): xp?
working on it

540 a piece, folks.
Raegar: Lets just go grind thousand needles.
Raegar: =P
LOL.

centaurs play hard-ball here, mang.

especially since the last centaurs I had to fuck with were guild wars centaurs, and they’re not friendly

Nick (Shae Vanderin): not at all
Hoxton: =540 + 275
Hoxton: hmm
GM: 815.
Hoxton: da
almost there.

Raegar: how much do we need for level 2?
GM: 1,000
Raegar: 1000?
Nick (Shae Vanderin): who has the shortswords and bow that we found?
Raegar: ah
Raegar: I didnt write them down
GM: Nick, unless someone in the party wants them
GM: feel free to record it
GM: you can add two more shortswords to the list
Raegar: Id take a shortsword as a second sword
Nick (Shae Vanderin): need to start our arsenal somewhere.
GM: okay, so 5 shortswords, light crossbow, 20 bolts
GM: counting the 1 Raegar takes
GM: err, discounting that one
GM: its 5
GM: there we go
Nick (Shae Vanderin): ok ill take the 4 and the xbow then.
GM: no, you have five
GM: there were six
Nick (Shae Vanderin): k
GM: 4 + 2 at the lumber mill
GM: :)
GM: All righty then
good show folks, direct comments, concerns and complaints to my steam or xfire, I’ll be AFK for a bit.
Nick (Shae Vanderin): gg all gnite.
Campaign saved.
Ilphvrae: laters
Raegar: i liked the session tonight..
‘Nick’ disconnected
Raegar: I have no complaints
Raegar: =P
steam or xfire.
:P
‘Doug’ disconnected
‘Pitr De Vries’ disconnected
‘Alex’ disconnected

Return to the main page.
Return to the main session log
Session 4
Session 6

Session 5

To Seek the Stars Kiergath